Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 06-07-2008 10:22:25

totalweb

Pre-Order Functions - A Deal Breaker

Hi guys,

After spending a good couple of months looking at various ecommerce solutions I am pretty much most impressed with CCP 6.  However, there is one thing that is quite possibly a deal breaker and that is a pre-order functionality.  Having searched the forums its seems there was some talk about this in CCP 5.1 but nothing for v. 6.  Could anybody explain how they are dealing with this is they have a similar need for the ability to pre-order?

Thanks.

#2 06-07-2008 12:51:32

Dave

Re: Pre-Order Functions - A Deal Breaker

Not sure what you're talking about totalweb.  Do you want somebody to be able to order something you don't already have but plan on carrying that will be available on a certain date?

#3 06-07-2008 17:40:25

totalweb

Hi Dave,

Absolutely correct.  I will be running a number of stores (5 initially) all retailing electronics.  In this environmnet a manufacturer may obviously announce a new product but stock available in 2+ months - it is important therefore that pre-order is available.

#4 06-07-2008 17:46:12

Dave

When they pre-order they won't be paying for it correct?  What do you want to happen if someone places a pre-order?

#5 06-07-2008 17:49:50

totalweb

This is the important part - around half of my competitors charge full whack, and half don't - the half that don't seem to have more positive user feedback than those that do so I would like to enable an option on a specific product that means I capture details and charge when in stock, my payment provider is worldpay, so is this something I would need to set-up with them?

Thanks for your prompt responses by the way - it's increased my positive opinion of CCP even more!

#6 06-08-2008 04:47:51

Dave

I'll preface my response by saying that CCP does not, ever, store any credit card information.  To do so exposes you to a huge amount of liability so if your competitors are doing it they're taking one heck of a chance.

A good number of payment processors allow you to "authorize only" against credit cards but the key for you is probably the length of time they allow that auth only transaction to be valid (meaning you can convert it into a sale transaction).  The ones I'm familiar with don't allow a long period of time between an auth and a conversion so that may not be an option.

It sounds like it's going to come down to whether or not your processor will support auth only and for how long.  You would probably need some modifications to CCP also to support doing an auth only then converting it to a sale later.  Right now CCP doesn't store any transaction specific information and those gateways that allow a conversion from auth to sale usually require a transaction number, associated with the auth, to be able to convert it to a sale.

#7 06-09-2008 15:47:37

totalweb

Okay thats fair enough - completely understand the reasons behind that.  Could you advise then if it is possible to change a buy now button to a pre-order button per product and charge in its entirety for a pre-order product

#8 06-09-2008 19:45:54

dh783
Website

You can use the Offline (Credit Card) payment gateway which will email you the credit card information so you could bill the customer on a biases of availability. But this will cause you to have to decrypt the emails (2 per order) to get the card information.

Changing a button depending on an item status shouldn't be hard to do but may require a couple of new column in the products database to get it to work and you would still have to decide when you are going to collect the money for an item.

John

#9 06-09-2008 21:52:00

wyattea

Dave, you say ccp never stores cc info.  What about offline cc payment gateway where you decrypt the cc info that is stored in ccp?  That's storing the cc info? (same as John pointed out).

Regards,

James...

#10 06-09-2008 23:18:05

dh783
Website

CCP doesn't store the credit card info, it encrypts the information and emails it to you. I haven't done it my self but I do believe that one email contains the credit card info and the other the key used to unencrypted that info. If I where going to use that type I would also make sure that the email account used would have to be connected to by a secure encrypted connection.

John

#11 06-10-2008 03:17:35

Dave

wyattea wrote:

That's storing the cc info? (same as John pointed out).

It does not.  The card information is encrypted and mailed to the store owner.  It never exists anywhere other than in memory as is the case for on-line payment gateway processing.

#12 06-10-2008 03:19:26

Dave

dh783 wrote:

I do believe that one email contains the credit card info and the other the key used to unencrypted that info.

One note has the CC information and the other contains the CVV.  The key is never mailed.

dh783 wrote:

If I where going to use that type I would also make sure that the email account used would have to be connected to by a secure encrypted connection.

It's not required and even listening to the connection won't reveal or compromise any information if the connection isn't secure.

#13 06-26-2008 09:27:19

theblade24
Website

Is it possible by item to determine if the item would accept realtime credit card or offline credit card?

In other words, could "preorder" items be set to handle payment offline, and others regular thru authnet??

or could it be done by category?

So you would have say authnet and offline both active as payment types..... and

if items category "= or contains" X then show offline CC, if item's category "= or contains" Y then show Authnet interface?

CCP 5.1
CCP 5.1
CCP 5.1

#14 06-26-2008 16:48:07

Dave

theblade24 wrote:

Is it possible by item to determine if the item would accept realtime credit card or offline credit card?

The ability to specify the type of payment per product isn't an option I'm afraid.

Doable ..... possibly.

Board footer