Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 06-10-2008 16:31:35

TerryA
Website

cp-app.cgi tying up CPU

This is baffling me.  I have three sites on one server that when cp-app.cgi is called, it grabs 50% or better of the CPU and will not release it.  The next time the script is called, the same thing happens until eventually, there are so many instances of cp-app.cgi hogging the CPU that the server load gets to the point the server quits responding..  I have checked the databases and everything seems to be OK as I can transfer sources back and forth from csv to MySQL.  Nothing I have tried makes a difference.  I have moved the sites to a different server and the problem followed the sites.  Here is the really weird part, one of these sites has three instances of CCP51 running on it but only one of these instances has a problem.  The other two are running as they should.

Anyone got any ideas what to look for?

#2 06-10-2008 17:58:13

vbsaltydog
Website

Re: cp-app.cgi tying up CPU

Are there any common mods on the problem sites?

Latest CCP 7 XMods Available:

#3 06-10-2008 18:04:41

TerryA
Website

These are all unmodded

#4 06-10-2008 18:11:10

vbsaltydog
Website

Do you have shell access to the server? If so, issue a killall for cp-app.cgi to kill all of the running instances and then run cp-app.cgi from the shell. How long does it take to execute cp-app.cgi?

#5 06-10-2008 18:52:11

TerryA
Website

It executes immediately.

#6 06-10-2008 19:03:00

vbsaltydog
Website

Now when you get multiple cp-app's running on your server and it becomes unresponsive, don't issue the killall and just run the problematic cp-app.cgi from the shell. It will likely take up to 60 seconds for cp-app.cgi to run from the shell and then the server should respond normally.

Please don't reply until you have tested this to avoid unnecessary explanations.

#7 06-10-2008 21:05:28

TerryA
Website

So you want me to kill it or not?  You got me confused with your response.  Also, what is this going to prove?  There are 60 other sites on this server that are running the script with no problems.  Why would this one be different?

#8 06-10-2008 21:15:46

vbsaltydog
Website

I didn't realize you were hosting 60 ccp sites on one server. It wasn't supposed to prove anything. I have had the same symptoms that you have described on client sites before and during the troubleshooting process, I tried to execute the cp-app file from the shell while the server was non-responsive to see if the file would execute without going through apache and it took around 30 seconds for the file to execute and then the server would respond normally as though running the cp-app from the shell somehow reset the Perl interpreter. If it works then you can set a shell script to run cp-app from the shell if the CPU usage gets above x time to get the server running properly or you can continue to try to find the cause but I had no need to continue troubleshooting as the shell execution solved the problem and it never returned.

#9 06-16-2008 07:26:36

TerryA
Website

The only thing that I can see that these three sites have in common is that they are running 5.106.  Two of the sites have one of the SEO mods and the other one doesn't.  The one that doesn't have the SEO also has two other instances of CCP 5.106 running with no problems.  Any ideas where to head with this one?

Board footer