Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 09-02-2004 08:15:34

TicoGrande

Your Opinion Of Clickcart? Software?

I need two carts for one of my customers, and a webmaster friend suggested I try ClickCart.  He is delighted and I respect his opinion.  Seems to be a fine value for the money.

I also received a fast a very helpful response to a question in another forum here, so that makes me feel good about the community here...

...but now I'd like your personal opinion of this software and the company.  How is the support?  Is the web site honest?  All the features work?  Attitude?  Caveats?  Anything bad? Anything great?  Now that you use the software, would you buy it again?  HAVE you bought it again for other customers?

If you prefer, you can contact me by email.

Many Thanks!

Tim

Regards.

TG

#2 09-02-2004 09:52:46

prescott

Re: Your Opinion Of Clickcart? Software?

Probably not the answer you want, but "it depends".

What's your budget? I'm sure there are better carts out there, but you're going to pay at *least* 3 times as much for them.

What's your comfort level with Perl? The great thing about CCP is that it's not compiled canned software, so really sky's the limit in terms of customization.

What's your HTML experience? IMO, you cannot just take the default look of CCP and sell it to a client -- I'm sure they are going to expect a full customized look. While that's not a problem with CCP, if you're completely changing things around it does take a good knowledge of HTML (as would any customizable cart).

Other than that, CCP has been everything it was sold as, if not more. Almost all of my questions regarding making certain things work have been answered by a quick search of the forums. I haven't even had the *need* to request personal support, so I can't answer that one.

My little attempt with CCP:

#3 09-02-2004 12:22:48

TicoGrande

Hi Prescott

Actually, I thought your answer was perfect.

I am very comfortable with HTML and have customized many carts... but PERL is a different matter.  While I can troubleshoot a problem and often modify someone eles's script, I could not write a PERL script from scratch, at least I don't think I could.

This customer wants two customizations involving the HTML or the script: 

One is to be able to add THREE photos (and thumbnails) of their product and the other is a "want list" whereby their customers can enter a product description (no numbers) and when a new product is added that generally meets that desription, an email is generated telling their customer that it is availaable and providing the URL.

I know there are more expensive carts and maybe better ones, but this one is priced right and has all the other features they need, so if I can make this work... I will try it.

I searched all over for one that had the above two features, but I could not find one anywhere at any price.

Glad to hear you are happy though!

Tim

Regards.

TG

#4 09-02-2004 17:06:15

Brains

Pretty steep learning curve (if you want to delve)...but its by far the best cart I've worked with and I've worked with most of them.

As for the price....you can't argue with that either!

Support forums here are always an active place for .....well....support!

Version 6 Zuma looks like it's going to beat the pants off any other cart out there.

Moans....none really. Can be a little slow if not using SQL.

BRAINS

International Award Winning Professional Web Design
MySQL Database Design, PHP
UK Hosting on Dedicated Servers
As featured in the Financial Times, ISP World and others.

#5 09-02-2004 18:36:33

TicoGrande

Thanks Brains...

I understand that the software comes with open source code, but is there any flow charting to help map changes and effects they might have in other portions of the program?

Tim

Regards.

TG

#6 09-08-2004 09:49:32

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Hello Tim.  No such chart exists, but extensive module documentation is part of the CCP6 project.  Read more in the CCP6 development forum...

Nick Hendler

#7 09-08-2004 11:20:18

TicoGrande

Thanks!

Tim

Regards.

TG

#8 09-23-2004 12:52:19

bluesage

Dear Tim,

I hate it.
If you don't know perl, it's very hard to make it work.
Hubby has been trying to make it work for almost 2 months now, but he's no perl expert.
Mark wrote to hubby and to me, and after the last email from me, I've not heard from him again.

The reason we bought it is because it's supposed to be customizable.

I suppose if you have a lot of money, you could hire someone to make it work for you. We've written several places and it's usually $325 and above, or they won't work with 3rd party perl, or they just don't reply.

If I had it to do over, I would not have bought it. I would have junked the secure cert we have [3 years worth, so I'm already in deep moneywise] and gone with MAL's shopping cart.

The help here has been non-existent for us.

If anyone is interested, we need this cart to work in 4 areas; local taxes, postage, taking checks online, which we already DO, I print them out using Versacheck software, and taking credit cards. I use Propay, which means I collect the info in a db and manually input it into propay.com.

Otherwise, I'm going to be $480 in the hole, $300 for 3 yr sec cert and $180 for this.

Janine Phariss

#9 09-24-2004 12:48:47

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Hello bluesage.

The program can be made to fill your requirements, however the items your listing would require custom development.  The program does not appear to fill your needs out of the box.  Custom development services are available from a variety of certified developers listed on our Support Solutions page. 

The formatting and layout of the program are easilly customized - however programming new code definitely takes a little experience with Perl.   I will be updating the forum throughout the rest of the day and if I see any posts from you regarding custom programming, I'll address them properly.

Nick Hendler

#10 09-25-2004 11:15:27

Big Dave

Dear Tim,

I hate it.
If you don't know perl, it's very hard to make it work.
Hubby has been trying to make it work for almost 2 months now, but he's no perl expert.
Mark wrote to hubby and to me, and after the last email from me, I've not heard from him again.

The reason we bought it is because it's supposed to be customizable.

I suppose if you have a lot of money, you could hire someone to make it work for you. We've written several places and it's usually $325 and above, or they won't work with 3rd party perl, or they just don't reply.

If I had it to do over, I would not have bought it. I would have junked the secure cert we have [3 years worth, so I'm already in deep moneywise] and gone with MAL's shopping cart.

The help here has been non-existent for us.

If anyone is interested, we need this cart to work in 4 areas; local taxes, postage, taking checks online, which we already DO, I print them out using Versacheck software, and taking credit cards. I use Propay, which means I collect the info in a db and manually input it into propay.com.

Otherwise, I'm going to be $480 in the hole, $300 for 3 yr sec cert and $180 for this.

Janine Phariss

I sypathise with you completely on EVERY point you made! ... I have almost $1000. invested so far in this script including the "mods" and "custom codings" that I paid for and still I cannot even use my shipper of choice (DHL) or accept online checks through checkout. I always get told "get a quote" and when I do the quote is outrageous, or not even replied to. I started out loving this script because like you, I THOUGHT it could be customized. But unless you have very deep pockets, it cannot be...

I am always replied to with "wait and buy Zuma" or "get a quote from XXX" which is like buying a new car, having it break down a month later, and then when you complain to the dealer he tells you "just buy a new one, it will run better then the old one".

I'm sorry, but frustration makes me awnry.

#11 09-25-2004 13:30:37

TheThinker
Website

Janine,

I've sent you an e-mail regarding your outstanding issues.

Regards,
Eric

#12 09-28-2004 14:17:41

thekiko

I gave up a long time ago on the "perfect cart."  I have spent years being forced to make business and logistical decisions that were dictated by the current cart that we were using at the time.  I have wasted thousands of dollars on the higher profile systems like Miva and xCart and find it funny that I settled on a cart that cost me less than $200 and fits most of my needs.

You could probably spend a grand or so on a cart and not ever hope to get it to do what you want, basically bowing to the creators of the software hoping that they implement your feature (someday).  I am glad that Clickcart allows me to never feel that way again.

I see Clickcart as a framework to an internet commerce engine that is mine and will someday do everything I need it too.  I was stunned at how much that "beginning framework" worked so damn well smile.  If you know Perl, it's fully customizable - if you don't know Perl, it's still fully customizable and you won't find many carts that offer that.

TheKiko

#13 10-01-2004 12:53:10

cornweb
Website

Hi there

I think the latest version of Click Cart pro is very good but it does need the SEO module which is expensive even taking the £ to $ conversion rates into account!

My main concern at the moment is that I have paid quite a lot of money for a script (which I believe started out being free) and have only had one £28.00 sale from my shop site. At this rate it will take years to pay off the investment!

Perhaps someone can visit my site and see what they think of it and suggest why i am not getting any orders in. Thank you.

Mark Bowles

Cornweb

#14 10-01-2004 13:50:08

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Cornweb-

CCP has always been a pay-per-license program.  The SEO module is expensive due to the fact that it takes ATS typically 45 minutes to 1 hour to install on each site.  As we all know, time is money.

If you post a URL to your store (in another thread), I'm sure the community can provide insights as to why your sales are not where you expect them.

BigDave-

It does not take deep pockets to run CCP.  Most users run it out of the box without modifications and never talk to support, post to the forum or need custom development.  In your case, CCP did not fill all your requirements out of the box - hence the custom support you required.

Rest assured with the release of version 6, payment processor functionality (like echeck acceptance) and shipper functionality (like a DHL interface) will be made available.

Nick Hendler

#15 10-02-2004 20:53:58

Big Dave

Nick,

My complaint is not with you or the out of the box version. If it fits your needs, it's great. No question about it. My problem comes in that the few people who do know this script enough to make the mods either quote outrageous prices, never contact you back, or offer their help and make promises only to not come through.

I am sure version 6 will be great, but I also don't look forward to losing all of the money that I already paid for everything that will be lost in upgrading.

#16 10-07-2004 23:09:05

I’ve been using CCP since last fall and overall I am very satisfied.  Let me start off by saying that I am in no way a programmer and hardly know HTML so Perl is a complete mystery to me.  It’s been a huge learning curve but the forum has been my life saver.  There are plenty of customizable scripts/mods on the forum that are easy to implement as long as someone takes the time to tell me which file to change, etc.

I approach my websites from a business perspective and know that one program can’t be all to everyone.  The only extra money I’ve spent is for the Froogle module and $25 for a new skin to change the look of my website.  Do I love the way it looks, not really but it’s easy to use, looks professional, and generates sales.  I’ve learned to work around a few of the short comings of CCP but really there aren’t many. 

If I had to say the one area that the program is lacking is the lack of a search engine module.  I’ve worked around this for the time being until 6.0 is ready. That been said, I’ve recommended the program to several people because the overall value is exceptional.

#17 10-19-2004 11:10:54

fourpair
Website

I would highly recommend this cart.

We bought it for one of our sites and liked it so much that we then bought it for another site.

I have a working (thought not at all extensive) knowledge of HTML and no knowledge whatsoever of PERL, and I was able to set up and customize the cart myself.  (Including writing a custom shipping script based on price of total order.)

We use the cart, the SEO module from ATS, and a skin that we bought for $25 and then modified.  We're very pleased.

The forum has filled all of our tech support needs.

#18 10-26-2004 23:52:35

hubbiida

I started out using CCP51 as a complete newbie to web design, with no experience or knowledge in Perl, or even HTML, and yet with only my intuition, knowledge I scrounged up from the internet, and this forum, I have found this software to be  easy to use given its relative level of functionality - which is very high. I think, however, you have to be a bit of a bulldog to make this approach work and have some basic background in computers et al.

Before I purchased CCP51 I  spent about six weeks researching the competition, of which there is a plethora. In my view CCP51, feature for feature, blows the rest away hands down. Certainly it is not perfect, it's most glaring and well criticized shortcoming being its lack of documentation. However, once you get the basic concepts down it is extremely intuitive and very powerful stuff for the price. I think, however, that if you come into it with no knowledge of Perl whatsoever and expect you can do anything you please, you'll be disappointed. But I don't think the advertising should lead you to believe the opposite. At a low level of tech skill, such as mine, it is customizable to a very great degree...if you are a Perl programmer I would think the sky is the limit. Nonetheless, for the money, you can't beat it.

As for tech support, it may be a little slow in coming sometimes, but come it does. Of course, for most of my issues I have merely browsed the archives of this forum  and found a solution to my problem. And given that the forum is FREE, I'd say it is a very good deal... Remember, when you buy a piece of software such as MicrosoftWord, or any number of other Shopping Cart packages out there, much of the cost is going to cover the developers staff, many of whom are tech support people. CCP51 avoids this by use of the forum, and I find it to be an excellent solution.

Anyhow, that's my two cents. I love it and think it was a great investment.
Andrew

#19 10-30-2004 21:18:52

straiff

Personaly. I love CCP UK. It does everything I want it to do and more. Customation is easy and it is forgiving to the novice. Being so easy to customise is great, in short - It rocks.

#20 06-08-2008 01:22:54

thomgrp
Website

We have been using CCP5.1 (tiki) for one of our clients for several years now. We have added the SEO mod, and two custom mods, the first to give volume purchase discounts only to customers who establish accounts and login when purchasing, and the second to allow the purchase of gift certificates. These have all worked fine, but the site has grown with our site advertising and SEO optimization. The site now has about 500 products listed, and it has doubled visitor traffic in the last three months - due we think to our having created a full site map for all search engines with resulting 'natural" search engine (especially Google) improvements to first page position for all of our important key words. We are experiencing about 600 visits per day. We have been using the default-as-installed CSV data mode since launch.

All seemed to be going well. Then our hosting company (we use shared LINUX hosting with a respected provider) experienced our site demanding huge gulps of server CPU - and we noticed the site response was tremendously slowing down. The host had to disable our CGI script (cp-app.cgi) taking the entire cart down. We went into crisis mode along with our client and changed over from CSV data to MySQL data for the major items. Working with our hosting team, we got them convinced this would reduce the load on the CPU. They agreed, tested the site offline, and then un-embargoed the CGI script they had disabled. The site is running much faster now, and we hope the issue is resolved.

During this crisis, we called ClickCartPro with the urgent request to contact us. We backed the call up with an email. We got no response. This has happened before - three weeks ago when we tried to get service (and emphasizing we were willing to pay for it). Trying to contact ClickCartPro is similar to flying into a black hole. It is as if the owner and the staff all have "day jobs" and they just don't have the capacity or the will to support those who buy the product. If it were not for this forum, there appears to be no support at all, especially in a crisis.

If we were to respond to our clients this way, we would have none. Keep this in mind when considering this product. Yes, it is a good value at the outset (compared to others) and it has worked well for us until it started taxing the hosting server CPU while running CSV mode data. If your ever need fast help however, what we've found is that you are totally on your own (except for the online aids, which may take some experience to use and then understand).

We think Nick Hendler and his company have the best of intentions - but "intentions" don't get the job done when things hit the fan. This lack of response, of course, could happen with any software provider. We urge anyone to fully explore the ability of a software provider to give rapid response BEFORE purchasing their product. Never assume you will get hands-on help when you really need it. Also, we recommend that you establish a relationship with a separate programming firm that knows the software - before you buy it. We have found the firm Cart-Mod answers its phone and seems dedicated to service. Since ClickCartPro seems "unreachable" - this makes for a "must" strategy if you need help fast.

W. Thompson

Board footer