Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 11-14-2007 08:09:24

BigDog
Website

Curious about other CCP websites

I have noticed that very few of the CCP users post their website address. Just wondering why?

Wouldn't it help all of us if we could see what designs and layouts are possible in CCP? Plus I imagine a lot of potential customers of CCP would like to see what is possible with the CCP software before purchasing CCP software.  If more people purchase CCP, Kryptronic would grow and that would help all CCP users. I have been bookmarking those few sites that are listed so I can see what can be done with CCP. Been getting quite a few "light bulb" moments by visiting other sites. That makes me feel better about using CCP knowing that it is more flexible than I thought.

Maybe there should be another section in this forum for people to list their site. Some people would want feedback about their site to improve it while others are just so proud they just want to show it off. Maybe even get a "sale" of their product/service from another CCP user.  One of those CCP sites I have visited and like, provides services and software to improve any web site.  I will be purchasing their service/software to improve my site once I am up and running.

We have our own pool of potential customers (current and future CCP users)  and don't utilize it and yet so much effort goes into optimizing our site listing and layout to get more customers. Also, there seems to be a minimal amount of posts in this section of the forum about ecommerce. This area should be a great place to share sources of ecommerce information. Some sites sell subscriptions to their ecommerce assistance sites. Which ones are good and which aren't? See, all kinds of questions about what could we all could learn and how to improve sales.

I have another question. Why do so few sites use a "fixed" width for displaying their site? Why not allow the size to float? I am sure there is some good reason for using a fixed width.

Okay, I put some ideas/questions/comments out there. Let's get a discussion going. Let's have some comments/suggestions from you battle proven ecommerce veterans and questions from newbies.

#2 11-14-2007 14:51:54

ZipSkins
Website

Re: Curious about other CCP websites

There are links to many ccp powered sites hidden in both the UK and USA sites

https://kryptronic.com/khxc/ccp0-display/ccp_demos.html
http://www.clickcartpro.co.uk/gbu0-disp … sites.html

And our own corprate site has a few examples http://www.coldfuel.co.uk/website-design-portfolio.php

As for fixed width displays, it simply it allows more control over the layout and how it appears in all browsers. I really have no preference, but if you want a desing heavy website (by that i mean very particular design and layout) then you need ot go fixed width, conversely, if you just want a 'theme' or general style with less explicit detail to layout then a stretched or flexible design would work too.

| Professional Quality Customisable Skins for your ClickCartPro Powered Site

-----------------------------
Certified Support Partner

#3 11-15-2007 03:30:30

Dave

BigDog wrote:

Why do so few sites use a "fixed" width for displaying their site? Why not allow the size to float? I am sure there is some good reason for using a fixed width.

As ZipSkins said it's mainly to be able to keep a consistent look for a site.  As more and more people start using widescreen displays this  actually seems to be getting more important.  A good number of designs look really bad when allowed to stretch out with a huge amount of horizontal space.

#4 11-15-2007 21:22:37

BigDog
Website

Okay on the fixed width. See, I knew there must be a good reason.

A day and a half, 55 views of this message.  Only two replies and they are both from the CCP support crew.

No comments from any CCP users?  hmm     

Must be just visitors who are doing all of the viewing and cannot post.

#5 11-19-2007 09:51:57

m.guenther@mchsi.com
Website

Hello,

This is my wife and I's site that just went live yesterday:

http://www.greenapplebaby.net

- Messages of Love and Inspiration Collection

- Complete Design Solutions

#6 11-19-2007 11:36:15

BigDog
Website

Welcome Kelly and Mike.  Thank you for being the first brave person to post their website in this discussion.

I really like your site. Nice combination of colors and pleasant background. Quick loading to. Nice balance right to left and top to bottom.

Mike's site is cool also. Springfield is a nice area. Having your own BassPro shop is great also. I lived in Doniphan (between West Plains and Poplar Bluff) for about two years.

Only item I believe should be changed is under your "Links" page.  Dr. Dwayne Dyer.  I believe his name is Wayne, not Dwayne. Link works okay to his site, just his name. I've read most of his books and have some of his CDs.

Thanks again for posting your site. Maybe someone else might get brave also and list their site now.   smile  I would if mine was done.

BigDog..

#7 11-19-2007 11:53:45

m.guenther@mchsi.com
Website

Hey man, thx for the kind words! And what a small world! You used to live in the area, very kewl!

Oh wow-My wife will be embarrassed about that one. She loves Dr. Dyer! Thanks for pointing that out!

And yes, hopefully some more people will post!

- Messages of Love and Inspiration Collection

- Complete Design Solutions

#8 11-27-2007 20:48:35

MotoVated758
Website

I just purchased 6.0 last week for a new website we just put up for the company I work full time for. I had purchased 5.1 some years back for my personal, part time business. The improvements in 6.0 over 5.1 are fantastic (although 5.1 is great and rock solid). I really like what I see after only a week. I just took the CCP store live today. It replaced a paypal standard store we had until I got the shopping cart going. We are getting an authorize.net account and an SSL certificate so the credit card processing isn't up yet, only paypal standard.

I've gone the route both times of incorporating CCP into my current web site. I just put in what I need. I may add more into this new site, but we'll just see as we go along. I have to say that I don't know squat about pearl or php, but I managed to get both sites going pretty much on my own. Most of the help I received was right here on the forums. They got me through it both time, although this 6.0 install has gone much easier than my 5.1. The forum is a life saver sometimes.

Here's the new site:

And here's my old site:

#9 11-29-2007 17:14:18

innerwolf
Website

Hi, I've put together 3 sites since March they are constantly being delevoped and may be more planned!! CCP just keeps getting better

wwwbritishdog.net - Dog Training Equipment and all that stuff
wwwinnerwolf.co.uk - For Dog and Owners, that Love the Great Outdoors
wwwpickledshrimp.co.uk - Kitewing, If there's Wind, Wing it!

#10 11-29-2007 19:01:32

BigDog
Website

Thanks for the posting of your websites.  Your Britishdog site looks like you used a skin, it is nice.  The Innerwolf site uses the standard layout with your color mods and button changes. As near as I can tell. I am new at this CCP site building stuff. 

I don't know how much experience you have in site building but about how long would you say it took you to do the color/button changes to Innerwolf?
Also, how did you change them? I mean, did you use the developer's tool bar in FireFox to see the tags and color codes then modify? Or do you have some WYSIWYG program?

I am using the same skin and want to do the same type of changes.

Thanks for posting your sites.  cool

#11 11-30-2007 08:33:14

innerwolf
Website

Hi BigDog

Thanks for the comments on the sites.

For the Inner Wolf site I used a skin from ZipSkins wwwzipskins.com, no. khxc015 I just changed the image on the home page. The colours on this site are standard to the skin.

The Wing Riders site also uses the same skin but on this one I changed the colours. I worked out what colours I wanted then with the help of Photoshop got the code and with a bit of trial and error I went through the css for that skin and change the colours. For the banners there is a psd copy of these saved in the skin file when you unzip it. So I just played around with these unitl I had what I wanted.

It probably took me a day in all.

I hope this helps.

wwwbritishdog.net - Dog Training Equipment and all that stuff
wwwinnerwolf.co.uk - For Dog and Owners, that Love the Great Outdoors
wwwpickledshrimp.co.uk - Kitewing, If there's Wind, Wing it!

#12 12-27-2007 16:56:15

BigDog
Website

I'm amazed. Nearly 7500 registered CCP forum users.
Over 450 views of this post about CCP websites.
Nearly six weeks since original post and only 10 replies and I did half of them.

No one has to register to just read this forum.
So why so many registered forum users if people don't want to post and get in on the discussions??

Getting the same results in my survey post question about SEO use in CCP websites. sad

With nearly 7500 registered forum users as of Dec. 28, 2007 It seems that most of
the posts come from less (approximately) than 1/2 of 1%, that is .5 percent of the
registered users and that .5 percent includes Nick and all his helpers. So if you subtract
the CCP crew who donate their time to maintain this site, the percentage of users/contributors gets even worse.

This section is for Chat, Links, Comments, Opinons and the above is mine.  roll

#13 12-28-2007 03:05:27

GreenbarnWeb
Banned
Website

Hi

I think the vast majority of the forum users only use the forum for finding answers to questions they have on CCP.

I have found the same thing in the past that posts in this section are only answered by a small core of users.

#14 01-01-2008 17:29:50

cyberws

Well it is common for most people to just look.  Besides I am sure many of the "users" are bots.  Our CCP site runs at http://www.cyberws.com/ but the sales is done from other sites like http://www.auctionknowhow.com/ if anyone wants to look.

Jeremy O

Production CCP .:. Version 6 w/QuickBuy and many in house hacks
Skills: PHP & Perl programming, Solaris & Linux server administration, Oracle OCP training and MySQL experience

#15 01-01-2008 18:09:29

BigDog
Website

I am not so sure about the users being bots.  hmm

If they are "bots" that are reading the forum, then why do do some topics get tremendous amount of hits(views) when others go unread or barely read? Is it possible for the "bots" to sign up and get a forum user id?

Also, that doesn't explain why so many forum ids are issued when a forum user id is not required to just read the topics.

With the tremendous amount of software expertise that the forum support staff has, it is hard to believe they would allow "bots" to do that.

That is my nickels worth of opinion. Thanks for kicking in your opinion though.  That is better than the "bots" do.  lol

#16 01-01-2008 19:05:55

cyberws

Well for reads the bots won't be effecting much, however any forum that has been around a bit will have to battle bots.  So the total number of users will reflect bot registrations.  If you start viewing the user list, on this board, you will see many usernames that banned.  Many of those handles are clearly bots.

I have seen this pattern before.  Now I am not claiming a specific percentage but the bots are out there.

Jeremy O

Production CCP .:. Version 6 w/QuickBuy and many in house hacks
Skills: PHP & Perl programming, Solaris & Linux server administration, Oracle OCP training and MySQL experience

#17 01-01-2008 19:51:43

rachaelseven
Website

We ban a LOT of spammers/bots... a pretty high percentage of the registered users, I'd venture to say.  It amounts to several per day on most days.  Plus, when you add in the very high percentage of people that register when they're setting up their site and then disappear once they have their answers, that gets you down to the relatively few regulars that are left.  Sad but true.

Rachael Katz
- Custom Focusing Screens for DSLR Cameras

#18 01-02-2008 07:56:05

BigDog
Website

What are the thoughts on limiting access to this forum to registered users of CCP?

I have been to other forums where they impose that rule and I could not access it.
I realize that solves some problems but creates others. Like, potential customers
could not access the forum prior to purchasing CCP. Or maybe they could read
the forum but not get a user ID to post unless they are a registered CCP owner.

Just thinking out loud.

I purchased CCP6 in Aug.07. 
I have done the minor free upgrades since then.
At what level of upgrade do I have to pay for the upgrade and about how much?

#19 01-05-2008 13:38:21

steveblueradio
Website

as far as i can remember, all minor updates are free, version upgrades are paid for and major updates [ie modules] paid off

I'm Gene Hunt, Your DCI, And it's 1973, Nearly Dinner Time, I'm havin hoops........

Cheers,
Steve
-------------------

#20 03-13-2008 10:58:03

makesachange
Website

OK, another CCP website:

http://www.makesachange.co.uk

As will be horribly obvious from my posts in the support forum, I know very little about what I should know and am trying to do as much of it myself as I can.

I've used a standard Zipskin and while the design isn't as I would choose it to be, I'm continuing to work on what I can. 

I know HTML, don't know XHTML tags but obviously can figure it out.  Don't know PHP and that's where I tend to get unstuck.  I find the forums incredibly helpful - always appreciative of the massive amount of help I get here.  I find the lack of comprehensive documentation immensely frustrating and the docs that are around very difficult to understand.

Probably CCP is just too "techie" for me which is where I come unstuck.  But I struggle on regardless!

Regarding responses to these forums - I am trying to now spend more time browsing them but I find it hard enough to keep on top of the support forum.  But I now need help to develop the marketing of Makes a Change so am browsing more of the other forums.  It's not for lack of wanting to, or interest, or wanting to support CCP.  Quite the opposite.  I'd love to be able to offer help back to the forums as I've been helped so much myself.

Emma

The Organic and Fair Trade Baby Boutique

#21 03-13-2008 15:41:36

BigDog
Website

Hello Emma, thanks for your comments and posting your website. I checked it out and it looks fine. You should be proud. I know it is difficult to develop your own e-commerce site. Nice color combinations and easy to navigate. You use the term "fair trade" on your site and I did not know what that meant and I was going to ask you but I kept browsing and noticed you explain that on your site. Nice. Now I and others will know.

I did notice what may be a misspelled word or missing space. It was in your "What is Fair Trade" section:

This means that noone - not one person

I believe you meant "none"  or maybe "no one".

Other than that, keep up the great work.   wink

BigDog..

#22 04-11-2008 13:28:06

tai

wwwhorseguard.com

Hiya all.
We just finished our site. We moved from joomla/virtuemart. I like this cart better, but had a much steeper learning curve than the zen, oscommerce, and virtue that Ive used before. I just wish we could get the recurring price to be added to the shipping total and as a selectable option...

I hate to be in the category mentioned by rachaelseven, but dont have much answers that can help anyone... maybe when someone has a design question instead of php/mysql, I can help...

Plus, when you add in the very high percentage of people that register when they're setting up their site and then disappear once they have their answers, that gets you down to the relatively few regulars that are left.  Sad but true.

ah well, any comments on the website would be welcome.
thanks again all who've answered my most often silly/stupid questions wink

congrats on the AMAZING site m.guenther
http://www.greenapplebaby.net
soooooo beautifull!!!

#23 04-11-2008 14:14:39

BigDog
Website

Hello there tai. I like the graphics on your website. Crisp and bright. Just confused on one thing.

I noticed that when I select anything from the menus, the site goes into secure mode (https) which takes a little longer to switch over to. Even just reading the item About the company. Then when I go back to the menus it switches back to non-secure mode. It switched back and forth for each menu selection. Why do you switch to secure mode to just look at products and other non-purchasing menu selections?

Thanks for posting your site and comments. 

BigDog  cool

Last edited by BigDog (04-11-2008 14:16:53)

#24 04-11-2008 14:26:03

tai

Thanks for the compliment.
The switching between secure is unintentional. Thanks for noticing, gonna check it out.

#25 04-23-2008 16:31:09

paisleymrs

Hi Big Dog and all,
I would love to look at everyone's sites ALL day!
That's my job big_smile
Unfortunately, I am trying to keep my client's happy and am trying to get their site working properly... I love to design and create sites.. its the e v  i   l code that always hurts my brain .
It always seems the most simple change, takes an act of congress to get right....

THERE MUST BE AN EASIER WAY lol
Any who, I did notice while going through all of these forums, that a lot of CCP users are from the UK? That's really cool?
Is there a reason that it is so popular there? Just wondering? and procrastinating :}

Love the http://www.greenapplebaby.net and makesachange.co.uk sites! Nice and neat and easy to use.

so far... I will be back on the forums tomorrow to try and find simple stuff to fill my little pea brain. Gotta eat.

Thanks Big Dog OH and thanks NOW I have to buy some Jewels, how I love jewels ... yummy.

Board footer