Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 06-13-2007 05:30:27

hoonandy

CCP 5.1.9 efficiency and high server load problem

Hi all, I've traweled this forum for an answer to this one but cant find any so am posting a new topic hoping that someone can help...

We are using ccp5.1.9 and everything seems to be working fine, but we keep getting issues with our server hosts whereby they say that cp-app.pl is causing unreasable cpu loading and we have to either optimise the script or use something else. Now i know its not a hosts problem as we've tried 3 different companies (shared hosting)... It's not power problem as most of these servers are dual Xeon. So must be a general inefficiency with the script.

We are running all the database from mysql and the pages are quick to load, cant really see anything wrong with it but the hosts keep saying that it is a resource hog.  Are there any updates to ccp 5.1 out there that address this issue?  What is the final version of 5.1?

Any help would be kindly received, many thanks, Andy

#2 06-13-2007 07:21:01

TerryA
Website

Re: CCP 5.1.9 efficiency and high server load problem

The only time CCP starts looking like a resource hog is when something else on the server takes priority and starts to make the script back up.  My servers have 50 -60 instances of CCP running on them and everything is fine until Mailscanner or Sendmail start to get overloaded and causes an execution slowdown.  When thins happens,  all the piled up CCP processes get pushed to the top of TOP and the techs think they are what caused the problem when it is infact another process further down the list that is actually the culprit.  When ever a new tech comes on board, I have to have a training session to get them up to speed with what is happening on my servers.  As long as everything else on the server behaves the way it is suppose to, CCP takes very few resources.

If you want a host that understands how this program operates on a server, let me know!

#3 06-13-2007 07:30:43

hoonandy

Hiya thanks for the reply, they are telling me it is using 30% CPU time tho... Surely it doesnt matter if the script is at top of process que or lower down its still using 30% +  ?  This is all very confusing i must say... I've never had a problem like this before CCP (mind you ive coded everything before this) It's really hard to see where the problem lies. Are there any versions after 5.1.9 that are any more efficient, what was the final version number of 5?  I see that the new CCP6 claims to be like "400 times more efficient" so there must be some inefficiencies in v 5??

Cheers guys, Andy

#4 06-13-2007 12:26:47

TerryA
Website

The inefficiencies are related to the fact that it is a perl script, not to the coding of the script vs the efficiency of PHP.  The only differences between 5.1.9 and 5.1.10 are minor and would have no effect on the operation of the script.

I can guarantee you that the problem does not lie in CCP unless you have it running in CSV mode.  The only other thing that could cause a load would be if you have managed to create some duplications of the Product Reference String column in the product database and MySQL is having a hard time choosing which product to display.  I have seen duplications like this drive the server crazy.

#5 06-13-2007 12:37:49

hoonandy

Hi Terry, which column name is the product ref string?  We did have a couple of dupes but had to loose them before switching to mysql which we did successfully... It hasnt got any dupes in the product id column now in mysql...

#6 06-13-2007 13:37:04

TerryA
Website

It is the first column that can not have dups.

I believe that what I said in my first post is the problem.  It is something else on the server causing the issue and the hosting company is seeing cp-app processes piling up because of it.

#7 06-17-2007 13:18:08

cyberws

The way to reduced server load is to run CCP 5.1 under mod_perl.  This is what we did on our server and CCP was lightning fast with very low server cpu and resource load.  The two main problems are CCP 5.1 wasn't really designed to run under mod_perl (you must use PerlRun under mod_perl) so it generates a lot of errors in your error log.  We just flushed ours.  Second many shared hosting environments don't use mod_perl.

Jeremy O

Production CCP .:. Version 6 w/QuickBuy and many in house hacks
Skills: PHP & Perl programming, Solaris & Linux server administration, Oracle OCP training and MySQL experience

Board footer