Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 09-21-2006 10:59:22

Todd
Website

Battlestar Galactica

In the description of this forum, Nick tells us we can 'Voice your opinion on the net and life in general.'

I know this is off the topic of e-commerce... but it is on the topic of 'life in general'.  smile

That being said, I wanted to see if anyone else here in the forums is a big fan of Battlestar Galactica.

If not, your missing out.

My story... a summary rather.

My little brother started watching the show when it came on sci-fi a couple years back.

He starts telling me how great it is and that I need to watch it.

My response was... well, I watched the original series way back when... and it was just too campy for me.  I wasn't interested in watching anything remotely close to the campy original.

So he told me to just give the show a chance.  He asked me to watch the original mini-series that preceded season 1.  So I agreed I would.

I watched them.  Then I started watching season 1.  I couldn't believe how hooked I was when the last show of the season ended.  I wanted more and Right Now!

So Season 2 came and went.  In the process, Battlestar Galactica... BSG for short has received wide critical acclaim.  In fact it recently won the Peabody award, which is perhaps one of the most prestigious awards that can be had... more so than the Emmys!

The new BSG is nothing like the old other than it shares a few similar names of people, places, and ships.  Thats about all there is in similarity.

So does anyone watch BSG?  What are your thoughts on the show?

there's more than one way to...

#2 09-21-2006 11:02:43

rachaelseven
Website

Re: Battlestar Galactica

I can't seem to get into the new one.  I'll confess to a guilty pleasure of the campy original (and the original Star Trek), but the new one is too much like your basic TV drama - just set in space.  I watch it just the same, but it just hasn't quite hooked me the way I had hoped.

Rachael Katz
- Custom Focusing Screens for DSLR Cameras

#3 09-21-2006 11:08:34

Todd
Website

yikes Rachel! You just let the wind out of my sails! yikes

Have you seen all the episodes or do you watch just from time to time?

#4 09-21-2006 11:49:04

webmaster
Administrator
Website

I'm a star wars guy myself, but do like the new BSG.  I got hooked in the 70's on the original by the theme song.  IMHO the older one is better (I'll agree it's very campy, though)...

Nick Hendler

#5 09-21-2006 13:02:13

rachaelseven
Website

Sorry Todd, didn't mean to deflate your sails!  I will admit to not having watched all of the new ones... just doesn't seem to hook me in.  Now Stargate SG1 on the other hand... that really grew on me.  I hang on every episode of that one :-)

Rachael Katz
- Custom Focusing Screens for DSLR Cameras

#6 09-21-2006 14:06:09

Big Dave

Sorry, Star Trek is it for me...
Live Long and Prosper.

#7 09-21-2006 16:43:02

Todd
Website

Don't get me wrong. You would be hard pressed to find a bigger Star Wars or Star Trek fan.  However, I think BSG has the potential of bring sci-fi to a level it has not seen before.  Its winning critical acclaim from non sci-fi fans.  Its compelling in a way that other franchises could only wish for.

However, it appears I am alone in my fondness for this great show.

Hangs head low...

#8 09-21-2006 17:11:23

Big Dave

<Big Dave pulls out his light saber and lobs off Todds low hanging head.>

#9 09-21-2006 17:42:30

Todd
Website

Big Dave then realizes it was just a hologram.

#10 09-21-2006 18:43:23

steveblueradio
Website

lol, more of a Farscape fan myself, and the odd stargate sg1 show

I'm Gene Hunt, Your DCI, And it's 1973, Nearly Dinner Time, I'm havin hoops........

Cheers,
Steve
-------------------

#11 09-21-2006 22:17:31

Todd
Website

To punish all you non-battlestar fans, I'm ignoring all spam reports for next 12 hours!

TAKE THAT! YOU UNGRATEFUL LILLY-LIVERED STARGATE LOVERS!

--- turns computer off ---

#12 09-22-2006 08:53:13

steveblueradio
Website

Sam Carter beats Starbuck hands down.LOLOLOL smile

I'm Gene Hunt, Your DCI, And it's 1973, Nearly Dinner Time, I'm havin hoops........

Cheers,
Steve
-------------------

#13 09-22-2006 09:04:39

Big Dave

Starbucks is over priced. I prefer Maxwell House

#14 09-27-2006 20:50:24

superhero2000
Website

I don't watch BSG, but since we are on the topic of Sci-Fi shows, a great show that they took off the air was 'Firefly' back in 2002.  It was a very smart show with more than a touch of social-commentary involved.  It was re-released on DVD and they made a movie called 'Serenity', which unforunately wasn't as good as the tv show even though they retained the same cast and director. For you sci-fi fans out there, it is definitely a show worth seeing.  My fiance and I love it!

Vinh
VQC Designs, LLC

#15 09-27-2006 21:22:30

Todd
Website

I love Firefly.  I also loved the movie and thought it was very well done.  However, if you want to get the best experience, watch the Firefly Series first.  You can get the entire show on DVD which includes 14 episodes.  Once you watch the season, then watch Serenity.  Definately a worthwhile undertaking for sci-fi fans.

#16 09-28-2006 16:02:11

lvshell
Website

Well I'm there with ya Todd.... The waiting for the new season is driving me crazy!  I feel like it started earlier last year..  I don't know... but I am hooked too and got there in a similar fashion.  I didn't wanna watch the old Battlestar either... and then to find out Starbuck was a girl now and the old starbuck is a rebel criminal!  WOW!

hahaha

Anyway... as I was reading your post I was kinda wondering if there was some sort of message there....

Like something related to CCP...  maybe how the new is better than the old.  And that the anticipation of the new is making people crazy waiting...  and the new is going to be so phenominal that it will win awards left and right...

dang... now I'm getting myself all worked up waiting for CCP6 again!

The new season of BSG starts here Monday.... big_smile  I can't wait.  the cylons have control of the planet  eek!

ps... ya I'm a trekkie and sw fan too.

LVShell
~loyal & dedicated user of CCP~

Board footer