Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 09-30-2003 16:15:44

webed
Website

Csv Uploading Problem

I've been trying to update my products by uploading a CSV file with new product information.

I downloaded the previous version of "product.csv", loaded it into excel, and added the new products, etc.  I then saved the file as a CSV, and uploaded it into the data/tables directory via FTP (binary mode!).

Reloaded the store - NO products - reload the backup - products, but NO update.

I resaved the file using BBEdit with Unix returns, default text file, any genreic setting I could find, but I could not get the new products to show up.  In fact when I add the new products I get NO products displayed.

Finally I pasted in the new products at the beginning of the file (under the header) and reloaded - Voila! new products!

Any ideas on whatwas going wrong? I'd like to avoid it in the future.

Thanks, Ed 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

#2 09-30-2003 22:27:02

EagleWolf

Re: Csv Uploading Problem

When you first did it did you leave any blank rows at the top?

Chris
<a href='mailto:webmaster@equivity.com'>webmaster@equivity.com</a>
-

#3 10-01-2003 05:49:58

webed
Website

No blank lines.

When I created the file I added the first 2 or 3 products to the demo file using the Site Admin panel. After that I added them in Excel. Only when I added a second batch of products did I start to have problems.

Since I first posted the message, I have tried a few things, and I think my problem is at the end of the file. I can add to the front or the middle, but if I change/move the last line, NONE of the products show.

I have looked at the end but I don't see anything unusual.

Thanks, Ed 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

#4 10-05-2003 13:42:02

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Make sure that the file ends with a line break on the last line with data in it, but do not leave a line break on the blank line.

Nick Hendler

#5 01-16-2006 11:25:15

maccer

Hi

I have added products via excel (products.csv) saved as .csv file uploaded in BINARY made sure permissions are correct (777) and no products are now visible.  I left the example products as they would be quick enough to delete once I'd got my products loaded, but even they have gone.  Also, I no longer have the option to add products through admin.

I have deleted my additions from the products.csv file and uploaded again, but everything is still missing.  I presume this line break suggested in this topic (<BR>) should be added in text edit, tried that and still no different.  any ideas?

#6 01-16-2006 11:40:04

dtwg
Website

Try opening product.csv in a Plain Text editor (like Notepad on Windows). Does everything look OK? No funny characters, etc. Each product on it's own line.

After the last record, there should only be one carriage return (i.e., hit enter once at the end of the line), no <br> tags, we're not doing HTML here.

If all is good in Notepad, save it as product.csv, upload in Binary mode, chmod 777, and give it a try.

If it doesn't work, do a view source on the page and see if there are any error messages embedded as HTML comments. If so, and you can't figure out what's wrong by reading them, post the error message and I'll try to help.

Dave

#7 01-16-2006 13:25:57

maccer

Thanks Dave.  It works perfectly now.  A combination of missing blank line at the bottom, and trying do it on a Mac (possibly).

#8 01-16-2006 16:56:05

wyattea

In case this helps anyone in the future, I just had a problem with missing products.

What happened was I edit products.csv in a 'temp' folder.  Instead of going to that folder to uploaded the edited file, I went to the local ccp51/data/tables directory that was used to originally upload the files to the server.  Couldn't figure out what was wrong until I noticed the file I was uploading was only 15kb while the backup file I had just made before editing was 70kb.

This would be filed under 'pay more attention' smile

James...

Board footer