Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 11-02-2004 14:30:31

tikyconvert

Passing Variables/tracking Keywords

Hi,
I wanted to know if I could possibly pass on a variables from a URL to my shopping cart and have it be displayed on the webpage.

What i'm trying to do is track my keyword bids using a little PHP based program...

I was wondering if I could perhaps pass certain variables so that a "code" could be displayed on the webpage...  I could then ask people that are calling in to tell me what code they see on the page.

So maybe depending on the keyword, a certain variable would be passed and then the corresponding code would be displayed... or it does not even have to be that complicated...

simply if somebody clicks on keyword XXXXX at overture... the rederict URL would pass on some sort of variable that would be displayed on say the footer, and then if somebody calls me, I'll manually match that variable with my offline database to see which keyword they called for...

let me know if this is possible...

Thanks Again

#2 11-02-2004 20:32:55

TheThinker
Website

Re: Passing Variables/tracking Keywords

tikyconvert,11/02/2004 02:30:31 PM wrote:

Hi,
I wanted to know if I could possibly pass on a variables from a URL to my shopping cart and have it be displayed on the webpage.

What i'm trying to do is track my keyword bids using a little PHP based program...

I was wondering if I could perhaps pass certain variables so that a "code" could be displayed on the webpage...  I could then ask people that are calling in to tell me what code they see on the page.

So maybe depending on the keyword, a certain variable would be passed and then the corresponding code would be displayed... or it does not even have to be that complicated...

simply if somebody clicks on keyword XXXXX at overture... the rederict URL would pass on some sort of variable that would be displayed on say the footer, and then if somebody calls me, I'll manually match that variable with my offline database to see which keyword they called for...

let me know if this is possible...

Thanks Again

I don't understand.  What is the purpose of this?  To track the source of traffic to your site??

Regards,
Eric

#3 11-03-2004 10:01:49

tikyconvert

Yes... I want to be able to track my PPC keywords because most of the people call me to place the order over the phone.

Thanks Again

#4 11-11-2004 16:25:38

webmaster
Administrator
Website

This would be done as follows:

(1) Edit the file ./cgi-bin/library/modules/ste_exec.pl.  Where you see:

Code:

&initialize_sub_add('ste_exec');

Right below that, add:

Code:

$seo_keyword = $q->param('seo_keyword');

(2) Add the following to your HTML Site Layout in the footer:

Code:

(CGIVAR)seo_keyword(/CGIVAR)

(3) At Overture, or wherever the links are coming in from, modify your URLs as follows:

For the Keywords:

CAR and AUDIO

Use a URL like:

Do the same for all other URLs.

Nick Hendler

#5 11-11-2004 20:18:04

tikyconvert

Nick...
Thank you so much...

i'm an SEO expert and this is VITAL to anyone running an online store...

Thanks Again

Tiki Convert

#6 11-11-2004 20:52:28

TheThinker
Website

Seems like another useful mod would be to automatically log 1) the keyword, and 2) encode the PPC source into the URL and log that as well, like source=google.  This could be placed into a new table allowing you to track the source of traffic to your site.

Regards,
Eric

#7 11-11-2004 21:07:08

tikyconvert

Nick...
I got it up and running...

I just have one question now...

It seems like this works... for the first page only.,.. the minute the user navigates to another part of the site... the variable is lost in lala land meaning it doesn't show up anymore...

do you have any solution, so that i can make it "stick" per se?

#8 11-12-2004 11:08:37

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Sorry - didn't think of that.  In the file ./cgi-bin/library/common/vars.pl look for:

Code:

$images_path = "$url_media_path/images";

Right below that, add:

Code:

$seo_keyword = $q->param('seo_keyword');
$seo_keyword = vars_urlencode($seo_keyword);

Then, in all the $common_url* and $common_hidden_fields* definitions below that, add either:

&seo_keyword=$seo_keyword (for URLs)

~OR~

<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="seo_keyword" VALUE="$seo_keyword"> (For hidden form fields)

This will track that as a variable in all form data and URLs across the site.

Nick Hendler

#9 11-13-2004 13:23:41

tikyconvert

Nick...
Thanks again...

this is such a powerful feature, that you should make it a FEATURE.

Anyway... i wanted to ask you if it was possible to embed this information into a cookie so that even if the customer comes back later, this info will still be there with their shopping cart or whatever?

Let me know

#10 11-15-2004 12:32:24

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Yes, but it's a bit much code to post here.  Take a look at the ./cgi-bin/library/modules/ste_usr.pl file and see if you can figure it out.  You'll want to look for 'fd_cref' as that's a similar variable to what you're trying to save.

Nick Hendler

#11 11-15-2004 15:12:37

tikyconvert

Thanks! I'll try and figure it out

#12 11-15-2004 22:53:49

Perkster
Website

I just want to post a program that I use to track my site in REAL TIME.  PHPLiveHelper from turnkeywebtools.http://www.turnkeywebtools.com/index.php/location/products/product/phplivehelper/

I am in no way affiliated with them but I was looking for such a program that tracks in realtime as it is fun to watch how people navigate around your site and it tells you exactly the refering url.  It is kinda like my old BBS days when I was a sysop watching people come to my BBS.  Hopefully that isnt too wierd to say,  but anyways this script is easy to setup and I use it constantly.  Great backend and if you do not want the chat online it has code for built in tracking.

What is good about CCP51 is with its template system you always see exactly what pages are being viewed rather than just having code on one index.html page.  Just add code in ste_layout and thats it..  Make sure urls are relative if you use ssl and all is well...

I have found this to be a great tool and I thought I would share my success.. 

Go to my site and see chat icon and test if you like.. smile

They sell I shopping cart but it doesnt come close to CCP51!

-mike

Mike Perks
Linux CD Shop - /shop for Linux distributions

ReviewLinux.Com - Linux OS News & Review Site

#13 11-16-2004 18:36:50

tikyconvert

Nick,
I was not able to pull this off...

maybe you can email me at jr@kahari.com and let me know how much it would cost for you to tell me the snipet..

thanks again
HR

#14 11-18-2004 10:04:37

webmaster
Administrator
Website

I don't handle custom code much (due to time constraints, etc.) but we do have a network of developers who could handle the job.  Submit a quote request form if interested and a developer will contact you with a quote.

Nick Hendler

Board footer