Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 07-11-2004 01:42:16

rhuian

Product.csv Excel?

I grabbed product.csv and dumped it into execl. Added 100+ more products saved it and put it back on the server. Unfortunatly none of the products show up. I really only chaged product names product numbers and prices. all the other fields i just copied and pasted from one line to the next. I made sure to save it in csv format and in VI it _looks_ to be the same only with more lines of data.

Any suggestions?

#2 07-11-2004 02:12:11

rhuian

Re: Product.csv Excel?

Should have searched better before I posted. I was uploading in ascii format which was causing the problem.

WHy is that anyway?

#3 07-11-2004 09:54:59

EagleWolf

Chris
<a href='mailto:webmaster@equivity.com'>webmaster@equivity.com</a>
-

#4 07-12-2004 16:44:31

rhuian

Ya, i understand the diff between ascii and binary. I guess what i dont understand is why the csv file needs to be uploaded binary, I could not tell the diff between the ascii upload and the binary upload.

#5 07-12-2004 16:54:21

EagleWolf

if you upload the csv in ascii and you to go to your store does it work? Probably not, why you might ask, when they still look the same?

Binary Sometimes called "Raw Data" or "All Files"
     Binary is best explained in comparison to ASCII. Binary also uses the seven (sometimes eight) digit ones and zeros combinations, but sees the characters in a different light.

Let's say you are FTPing an applet. Yes, it uses only the 128 characters on the keyboard, but with one major exception...all characters are not equal. If you look at a GIF, or a JPEG, or an image (in an editor) - yes, it looks like text. Remember, the computer sees numbers only, and characters are a good representation of those numbers. You see, the computer doesn't require that you see what happens to work. Text is just so you can get a representation of what it is doing.

Where a binary transfer differs from ASCII is how it treats the characters used. An Applet needs to not only retain the same characters when it transfers, but also needs to retain the same form. It has to be equally as wide and tall when it arrives at its destination as it was when it left. If it is not - it's corrupted and won't work.

Chris
<a href='mailto:webmaster@equivity.com'>webmaster@equivity.com</a>
-

#6 07-13-2004 05:32:09

thekiko

Hey Rhuian,

I am not sure if this helps but I learned early on that if you attempt to use Excel with OS X to edit your CSV files... No matter how you upload, it will never work.  I guess Office X does something wonky to Excel files at save.

Working in Excel on my PC worked fine.

TheKiko

Board footer