Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 02-26-2004 12:13:25

nabz
Website

Creating A Free Ssl Cert.

hi,
can anyone tell me how i can create a custom ssl certificate?

i tried this with iis but it outputs a text file and when i change the extension to a "certificate type" extension, e.g. crt, cer, etc. iis doesn't open it again and so it doesnt function the way it should :s
does anyone know of anyway i can resolve this issue or edit an ssl certificate :s

or is there any merchant which provides free ssl certificates :?

this would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
nabz

ps. im a newbie so can you also tell me if ssl does actually make a great difference to an e-commerce site or is it just for a little bit of extra security and for companies to make a lot of money out of :?

#2 02-26-2004 16:19:57

superhero2000
Website

Re: Creating A Free Ssl Cert.

I would highly recommend SSL for all Ecommerce sites and any site that collects personal information.  There are alot of hackers and miscreants out there that would love to get their hands on important personal information. 

As for creating your own personal SSL certificate, not sure you can do that.  You need to either use a shared certificate, which is often offered by your host, or you can purchase SSL certificates at a very low cost.  It is well worth the cost to purchase your own certificate.

Check out these two providers:

Vinh
VQC Designs, LLC

#3 02-26-2004 17:10:58

nabz
Website

so which one would you recommend?
freessl.com's or instantssl.com's ssl certificate?
apart from the prices... does it really make a difference?
freessl provides a singleroot certificate, whats that and why doesnt instantssl have anything displayed about this :s

thanks again,
nabz

#4 02-26-2004 17:16:54

superhero2000
Website

Here is a detailed explanation of single root SSL:

As for which provider, since we are a InstantSSL Partner, we are alittle bias, so you would know my answer smile

Vinh
VQC Designs, LLC

#5 02-26-2004 18:24:11

nabz
Website

lol
ive actually heard and seen a lot of the promotion and marketing for both of the site's...
from what ive read, i think that instantssl / comodo offers a better service, reliability and support... i think uv don the rite choice becoming their partner :p
but i think ill give them both a test trial and see how they work b4 i make my first move...

thanks,
nabz

#6 02-26-2004 18:27:05

nabz
Website

i used my server's cpanel whm x to create my own free ssl...
it works gr8 but im not sure about the method of encryption it uses and im sure that there are other ways and tools for creating better ssl functionality, using a program or a script of some sort :s

if anyone knows of any alternatives, please do let me know...
nabz

#7 02-28-2004 13:17:06

Phyrtech

You can create your own certificate, but it can be a complex process and I have only done it on Apache.

Here are the steps:

Obtain a copy of openssl (wwwopenssl.org)

Compile it
NOTE: compiling it is much different when done on windows than on linux.  It is much easier on linux since the tools are already there.

Check out this site for more info on compiling in WIN32.

Check out this site for more info on compiling in Linux.
wls.wwco.com/security/myopenssl.html

Next, you must create a certificate for your server and sign it.

try these steps:

openssl req -new -out server.csr
   if you get an error here, try openssl req -config openssl.cnf -new -out server.csr
openssl rsa -in privkey.pem -out server.key
openssl x509 -in server.csr -out server.crt -req -signkey server.key -days 365

Now you need to copy the .crt file to the appropriate location.  You must do the same with the .key file.  You have now created your own signed SSL certificate.  Please note that to make it official, you'll have to send an unsigned copy to verisign or thwate for signing.  This process costs around $400.

#8 03-04-2004 12:02:14

nabz
Website

great thanks phyrtech smile
im gonna try this right now :!

nabz

#9 06-21-2004 19:39:03

TheThinker
Website

nabz,

Just as a follow up how did the above process work for you? I'm getting ready to also create a self-signed certificate.   My intent is to use a self-signed cert for testing until the site is ready for final testing so save my client(s) money.   

Regards,
Eric

#10 06-24-2004 10:59:56

webmaster
Administrator
Website

This process looks solid.  Most of the major CA's like Thawte and Verisign have instructions to follow on their sites.

Nick Hendler

Board footer