Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 10-14-2003 20:23:33

mattv
Website

Sluggish Performance

Just recently, something very odd has happened:  after a customer clicks on a link within the CCP store, it take 3-10 seconds for the screen to simply change.  I have diagnosed the problem to be with Perl by the following:

I bring up CCP in one window then have top running in a terminal window.  Whenever I click a link on the CCP page, a new "perl" process shows up.  It sits there with 0.0% CPU for a few seconds, then gets a jolt of 15-30% CPU, disappears, and the page immedietly loads in my internet browser.   I even ran a raw version of CCP51, with the same results.

I know it is perl since all other pages in nonCCP enviornment run at super fast speeds, granted they do not utilize perl.  Furthurmore, the server is running with dual 1.0 GHZ G4s on average running at 9% capacity with only 400/1000 MB or RAM being utilized.

I'm leaning towards perl on my system, but does anyone know why this type of problem may be occuring?  Thanks a lot in advance. 

#2 10-14-2003 21:07:22

EagleWolf

Re: Sluggish Performance

is your data in csv or mysql?

If in csv have you tried converting to mysql and testing it then?

Chris
<a href='mailto:webmaster@equivity.com'>webmaster@equivity.com</a>
-

#3 10-15-2003 00:23:25

mattv
Website

It is in csv.  My main concern is what would cause everything to run so slow literally overnight?  It was flying along before: even the admin pages are painfully slow now. 

I have found that with using a backup copy, speeds ranged from very fast, to somewhat slow.  I seemed as if there would by 15 seconds of fast response, then 5 of slow response time.  But, it seems like an issue with perl reading CCPs commands.  Could permissions cause these speed changes? 

Please advise again! Thanks.

#4 10-15-2003 08:36:47

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Are you the server admin?  If not, did your server admin put memory limits into apache that night?  The processes will slow down if it has to swap memory.  Check with your host to see if there are any new limits.

Nick Hendler

#5 10-15-2003 11:27:42

mattv
Website

I have done several restarts of the system and apache, so I' don't think this is the issue...However, there is a perlscript that runs backup that does to take a considerable amount of CPU every evening.. could this be the culprit? Once again, it had worked before.

Another thing:  I went to page viewing stats in reports, and days previous to the problem, we had someting like 280 page views.  Yesterday, when the problem started, we had 7000 page views!

Apparently, there are a lot of hits from the outside, or the program is generating hits.  Is there anyway to test what could be causing this? Thanks.

#6 10-15-2003 14:36:34

mattv
Website

OK!  Figured it out:

Hacker.

Some one was running a program that constantly went through all of the links on the CCP store.  So, on my firewall, i blocked the IP.  Hope the bastard doesn't switch his IP or else its time for me to lay the smack down. 

Just for some info for your reference:

Mozilla/4.5 (compatible; HTTrack 3.0x; Windows 98)  (from apache log)

IP: 217.224.17.26  <--- Blocked this IP

Thanks for your help anyway people.   

#7 10-16-2003 08:22:55

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Thanks for the info.  FYI - the host address was:

pD9E0111A.dip.t-dialin.net

You may also want to take a look at this for more info on speed & simultaneous hits:

Nick Hendler

#8 04-22-2004 02:39:42

thekiko

webmaster,10/15/2003 08:36:47 AM wrote:

Are you the server admin?  If not, did your server admin put memory limits into apache that night?  The processes will slow down if it has to swap memory.  Check with your host to see if there are any new limits.

Hey Nick,

Experienced some server woes today (the server kept crashing) and it sounds like I am having problems that are similiar to the ones quoted above.  Here is the ticket log of what the server techs did:

The extremely sluggish response, and the error messages about killing processes lead me to believe that the system was swapping heavily. I was forced to reboot it in order to bring it back, as it did not even respond to keyboard reboot....

....It looks like you were indeed running out of swap. In /var/log/messages there are a lot of messages about the VM killing off processes, and being unable to allocate free memory. I have lowered the MaxClients setting in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to 128 hopefully in order to throttle some of the traffic and keep the machine from going down again. You might have to set it lower than that, I would keep an eye on your memory and swap usage, and set it lower if you see the swap approaching 50% utilization. Note that clients over the MaxClients setting are not completely locked out, they are held in a queue until there is an available apache process to deal with them. It is still possible for the remote browser to time out and disconnect before there is a free apache process, depending on how busy the server is.

Are the modifications they made sound like the best method to take care of the problem?  Or should I try some alternative settings?

Thanks for everything,
TheKiko

TheKiko

#9 04-22-2004 10:37:31

EagleWolf

thekiko
If you are running high swap (which is not good) and you are running our of memory (which usually causes high swap usage) then you should be able to upgrade the ram in the server.

Also if you might want to tweak apache once this is done, and possibly tweak mysql to optimize this (if you are using this).

It sounds more like a hardware/server issue than a CCP software issue.

Chris
-

#10 04-22-2004 14:13:56

thekiko

Hi Chris,

So if I follow you correctly,  the only way to get around High Swap is to add more RAM to the server?

What tweaks do you recommend for Apache and MySQL (I am running MySQL)?

Thanks for all of your help.  After running a server for 3 years, it's probably time for me to learn this stuff smile.

TheKiko

TheKiko

#11 04-22-2004 14:32:10

EagleWolf

High swap usage, on a server us just like on a PC, the computer will use Swap (hard drive space) for RAM, if you are low or have exceeded the RAM on the computer. Since using alot of swap is very bad for a hard drive, you will need to add RAM to the server (how much really depends on what you have now, traffic, apache hits, mysql processes etc.)

For apache tweaks, there is not set numbers to change in the http.conf file. And this is not something that you want to play with to much if you are not sure what you are doing, it can cause major apache issues and cause your sites to stop working. Here is a site which might get your started if you want to pursue this:

MySQL Optimazation:

This again is a way to improve the mysql processes, currently my servers all  are able to run over 99K processes an hour, which is awesome. And if you can tweak and optimize mysql you will see great improvments in yoru sites, here is a thread you can start with to get you started, but again, these are trial and error. It all depends on your server hardward, the software you are running, the traffic, and mysql processes you have.
[URL=http://forum.ev1servers.net/showthread.php?&threadid=20983]
[/URL]

And I will tell you this, I hired someone to tweak apache, and mysql. I worked on it on my own orginally which was like shooting in the dark. So I went to someone much more knowledgeable about these things, and the work they did was worth every penny I spent.

I hope this helps.

Chris
-

#12 04-22-2004 16:21:44

thekiko

EagleWolf,04/22/2004 02:32:10 PM wrote:

And I will tell you this, I hired someone to tweak apache, and mysql. I worked on it on my own orginally which was like shooting in the dark. So I went to someone much more knowledgeable about these things, and the work they did was worth every penny I spent.

Thanks for your help Chris!  Do you have any recommendations for "tweakers" that I can contact?

Thanks again,

TheKiko

Board footer