Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 08-14-2002 12:26:43

confused

Hi,

A few weeks ago I posted a message asking if MySQL (or any other RDBMS) has to be installed on the server to manage databases with CCP 5. The answer I got was 'NO'.
Now that I am reading the CCP 5 manual, I see

"If you have a compiled version of the Perl DBI module installed on your server, a running version of one of the supported databases and the Perl Database Driver Module for that RDBMS, you will be able to access that RDBMS and associate database tables with it.

If, when accessing the function Configure RDBMS Connection under the Database Utilities menu, you are presented with a message indicating that DBI is currently running in non-compiled mode, you should check with your hosting provided to see if an RDBMS is available. If so, they should be able to install a compiled version of DBI and the appropriate Perl Database Driver Module for that RDBMS."

So... what is it exactly that comes with CCP 5? I'm really confused here.

Thanx.

#2 08-14-2002 12:38:22

Re: confused

JSK. CCP5 runs out of the box on flat files (csv). These are located in and below your ccp5/data directory.

It's my understanding that the ability to run it off a database is just a perk....but you need to do the linkage. For large sites, it would certainly speed up processing...csv is not the most efficient.

Basically, i think this gives us the best of both worlds: Easy Installation/Wide Applicability vs Efficiency and growth potential.
Rich

#3 08-14-2002 13:21:13

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Exactly.  Out of the box it will run in CSV mode.  If you install an RDBMS, a compiled version of DBI and a compiled DBD driver, you will be able to connect to an RDBMS.  Any hosting company offering MySQL with an account (for example) will have everything you need (MySQL, DBI, DBD::mysql) installed already.

Nick Hendler

#4 08-14-2002 15:43:22

It's clear now. Thank you all.

Board footer