Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 08-11-2002 13:24:41

Pretty Cool - Over All

I was pretty pissed off with the product when I first downloaded CCP4 a week ago and tried to set it up.  It took nearly 20 hours to get it running.  A lot fo that could have been prevented with a more complete readme file and a better help manual. 

After getting it working I felt a little better about it, but I still had major reservations.  I have setup free carts that took less work.  There were a few features that were nicer than the last free cart I setup, but...

With CCP5 there were a lot of new features and made it worht paying for when they all started working.  The shipping in another thread is definitely a major issue.  Hopefully it will be worked out soon.

I pulled down my old cart when I started playing with this so my site hasn't made any money in over a week now.  I am sure glad its not my primary source of income.  So far its still cheaper than the other paid cart I was looking at, but the cost is starting to add up in both lost profits and money spent for product and upgrade.

The flip side is that this forum has helped get past a lot of setup issues and that script Andrez wrote sure made installation a lot easier.  Even though I stll had to reupload a few files it sure beat the hell out of two hours uploading and setting permissions on everything.

This forum has helped me with several issues and, the responsiveness (after you got cpp5 released) has been a nice surprise.  The near real time response to user comments, questions, requests, and problems has helped me side step, fix,  or recognize many problems. 

This forum works as a developement tool.  I like the way it works out in the end. 

#2 08-11-2002 13:40:57

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: Pretty Cool - Over All

Thanks for the comments Bob.  We're striving here to make CCP5 as stable as CCP4 while offering a boatload of new features..

Over the next week I can expect that a few more issues will be flushed out and that should be about it.  Thanks to many of the users who were kind enough to eval CCP5 immediately following it's release.  We've received a bunch of positive feedback and comments that should make installation and running CCP5 easier and easier for everyone.  I think a lot of credit goes out to the users out there that have been patient while these inevitable issues get worked out with a .0 release.

Some of you don't realize that 100% of the codebase in CCP5 is brand new.  Nothing on the Perl side was reused from CCP4 because of all of the requests for enhancements we received.  Many of the install problems we had initially could never have been tested or identified without your help.

Nick Hendler

#3 08-11-2002 15:41:29

Will
Website

Nick,

I'd just like to add my two cents.  We all appreciate the hard work that went in to the cart.  But even more than the hard work in the cart, I'd like to personally thank you for your quick responce time here on the forum.  None of us paid for tech support, but yet we are getting great support in this forum.  To think you spending time on your Sunday to answer questions.  Yes it's a new version, so your providing more support than normal, but I just want to make sure and say Thank you. 

Will
wwwstnecorp.com
(New cart to be online as soon as I've got it looking right)

Will

#4 08-11-2002 16:08:25

I agree--CCP is a great program.  I've used CCP4 for several months now, and CCP5 adds some nice features.  The forum is a great resource.  Once that shipping issue gets worked out, I think I'll be just about ready to go live with CCP5.

#5 08-11-2002 16:08:43

Adam

Will,

I agree with you, yes guys, what we all get for our $99 plus upgrade
is absolutely unique, none of us paid for support that Nick and others are
giving here so it seems we all have Great Webmaster and Great Community here

Nick, Thank You

-AAJ

#6 08-11-2002 17:16:35

Emiliano

YES! Thanks Nick.
Good luck with the shipp script.

Emiliano

#7 08-11-2002 17:48:56

I would like to interject again.  We didn't pay for tech support, but we also did pay for a working product.  Something we as yet do not have.  I appreciate the efforts, but as things are going now I am about ready to give up. 

Nick is certainly trying very hard to make things work through this forum, but if I can't get a working cart I will give up and go with another product. 

(I actually did pay for tech support and then asked for my money back when it never materialized.)

#8 08-11-2002 18:25:46

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Can you elaborate as to which part of the script doesn't work, Bob?  If you're referring to the shipping issue - we coded it a certain way because that's how we believed users requested that it should work.  We're going to update that based on user input.  If something else isn't working, we're not aware of it, so please explain yourserlf.  Thank you.

Nick Hendler

#9 08-11-2002 18:55:51

I give up.  The entire CCP5 has been deleted from my server.  I have also deleted the entire mess of files from ccp4 and ccp5 and Andrez neat install cgi from my work station.  I'm sorry, but I just won't spend anymore time on this at this time. 

I may have to pay a little more, but I will not settle for a cart that doesn't do everything I need.  I'm sure you are an excelelent programmer, but your product isn't market ready.  I had hoped to avoid making this a public post, but you asked. 

I have three vendors at this moment that say they will install and test their carts on my site.  They all three advertise thirty day money back guarantee.  I will try the first one, and see what happens.  If I don't have a working cart in less than a couple days then BOOT!  Out they go, and I'll try the next one. 

I had a working solution in a freecart when I tried CCP4 and then ccp5 now I have nothing working that I can use. 

A paid product should be easier not harder.

Please credit the appropriate charges to my credit card.  I have already e-mailed you the details. 

If your product becomes market reay with a decent database management system at some time in the future please feel free to ask if I will reevaluate your product.  I wish you the best of luck.

#10 08-11-2002 22:57:11

Bob,

How wrong you are!

I wasn't a huge fan of V4, as it had plenty of limitations. CCP5 on the other hand, is filled with features that other cart programs can only dream about.

Currently, I use Cart32, which is a nice system until you compare it feature by feature to CCP5.

In less than one full day, I have nearly completed image orientated upgrades and will soon turn my attention to content. I have NEVER seen a more exciting or flexible shopping cart program.

Sure, there are modest problems - most involving my hosting company, but they will be worked out. Eventually, I will need to pay someone to do some custom scripts and tweaking, as I know NOTHING about perl. Simple "if", "then" statements are beyond my abilities when it comes to Perl.

Good luck finding a program that can be up and running in less than two days.

#11 08-11-2002 18:54:08

Adam

>but we also
>did pay for a working
>product.

hm... sure, we did pay, you are right
and for my client it works,
perfectly
exactly as they requested a couple months ago
so it depends what you wish it should be able to do,
a cup of tee? sorry, it is not implemented
yet :-)

maybe this is a little off-topic but I sometimes think
that I could say I paid for such a great software
if the price = $99 x4 (or x5)
but this is just my another two cents

-AAJ

#12 08-11-2002 18:58:30

>>but we also
>>did pay for a working
>>product.
>
>hm... sure, we did pay, you
>are right
>and for my client it works,
>
>perfectly
>exactly as they requested a couple
>months ago
>so it depends what you wish
>it should be able to
>do,
>a cup of tee? sorry, it
>is not implemented
>yet :-)
>
>maybe this is a little off-topic
>but I sometimes think
>that I could say I paid
>for such a great software
>
>if the price = $99 x4
>(or x5)
>but this is just my another
>two cents
>
>-AAJ

Sure, and to be honest I would gladly have paid 4 or five times as much, but ccp4 advertisded to meet my demands.  It didn't. ccp5 honestly comes close, but it isn't market ready yet. 

#13 08-11-2002 20:05:21

I'm not sure how to respond Bob.  I have yet to find a single feature or aspect of the program that wasn't market ready.  I've been using ccp4 since it came out.  Yes a few features I would like were not in it.  It still performed flawlesly on my hosts system.  I had NO issues installing it ever.  I've now got CCP5.  It has MANY features that I wished for in it.  I'm sure there is something that I would like.  And yes the shipping is not the way I prefer it, but it will be this week.  And the shipping is the way that some people requested.  I looked at many other carts, and free or paying, I have yet to find a cart that compares in quality and features of this cart.  How many products do you know of that can make it on a .0 release?  Even if this ends up with a .01 release, it's still by far more trouble free than any MS product on a .0 release.  Every product that MS has released has had a service pack update to it. 

Bob, you never really stated what exactly you were unhappy with regarding this product.  I believe EVERY issue that came up has been or will be resolved.  And if the product doesn't meet your needs, then your needs obviously will not be met by a competing product.  I wish you the best of luck in your search for the perfect cart, but I think you already found it, and went right by it.

Will
Very Satisfied with CCP5 and the effort of Nick.

#14 08-12-2002 10:30:51

The successful installations by many are proof enough that ccp5 is indeed a "marketable product".  The nature of the beast has it that there are many different versions of Perl, OS's, etc which make far too many combinations for anyone to account for in a single release.  If the definition of 'marketable release' means "it must run on every combination of hardware and software setup out there" and "it must meet all my requirments", well, nothing on the market is or ever will be "marketable".

I've been running ccp4 successfully for 6 months now and would like to have been up to ccp5 by now, however my host is running an older version of perl which ccp5 is not happy with.  Instead of simply saying, "you need to upgrade perl", they pointed out this issue and continued to research how to fix the current condition!

The whole dot com boom brought forth a large amount powerful perl scripts which are quickly and easily accessible via downloads. Additionally, more and more web hosts opened up their servers to full cgi access, telnet, ftp, etc. Add to this high speed broadband networking into the home, linux on the desktop, and what was once reserved for folks with the technical know-how and background, is now available to anyone with a credit card. Although these folks strive to make their software installations as easy as possible, the complexities involved often wind up creating P.E.B.C.A.C. errors (problem exists between chair and computer).. I have many of them myself when it comes to Perl (the server error log has a shortcut on my desktop!)

I couldn't help but notice that within less than 1 working day, you went from "pretty cool over all" to "deleted all files - good luck".  Sounds like frustration got the best of you. And the whole concept of removing the existing cart to install a new one is quite frankly a poor decision! I'd suggest that for future upgrades (with whatever cart you go with), you simply install and test the upgrades in a different directory.  Once your convinced it is running, simply change the links to the carts location, leaving the existing, functioning cart installed. If something unexpected comes up, simply switch your links back to the existing cart and carry on!  You decision to do otherwise and loss of income therein leaves no one to blame but yourself.  Trying to blame CCP4 or CCP5 out of frustration is a cop out!  But anyway, good luck with your other carts.  Dollar for dollar and feature for feature, my research and 6 month cart evaluation has kept me in the corner of the best 'marketable' cart on the market!  Good luck with yours!

Board footer