Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 06-30-2021 03:07:20

sqm24

New hosting providers

Hi,

We host K9 on a VPS, but are looking to change providers. We are looking for a managed VPS or dedicated server service preferably UK based (or at least UK support) anybody have any suggestions?

And this question is for Nick, at the present it is a Windows server we are using, but the need for it to be Windows has gone so we can choose a Linux base one instead. Would there be any difficulty  moving to a linux one? I assume as K9 is php and uses mysql there will not be other than we will be have to replace the web.config file with a .htaccess file (and can we get hold of that?)

Simon.

#2 06-30-2021 04:20:05

zanart

Re: New hosting providers

I use ionos.co.uk for a UK website, and haven't had any issues in the last 10 years.

I am sure you will hear horror stories about all web hosts, including ionos, but my experience has been superb.

We have a dedicated server and use MYSQL 5.7 as the database. You are limited to 1gb with the 5.7 database but can use 5.5 with unlimited storage.
You can select which php version you want on each different domain(if you have more than one domain).
Files and database is auto backed up every day. If you mess up, they will reload previous data to server in a different folder.
Very simple to set up everything.

Ionos deal with all server related stuff.

I don't remember the last time I had any downtime.

Rob

#3 06-30-2021 05:57:35

sqm24

Thanks Zenart. It's good to se a real customer opinion there are just so many options out there.

#4 06-30-2021 08:22:29

webmaster
Administrator
Website

I recommend our hosting, Kryptronic Managed Hosting, for all clients as we offer superior services, hardware and software.  Our servers are built to run K9, and we have many custom security layers active which you will not find anywhere else.  Our servers are in the USA, and our support is located in the USA.  We are generally available to speak with directly, via email, or via ticket between 4AM - 1PM GMT.  If an inquiry comes in after that, and it's an emergency, it is addressed right away.  Otherwise, UK clients generally have a response in their inbox when they return to work the next day.

There's no issue migrating K9 from a Windows to a Linux server.  Just install K9 on the new server and run the installer.php script to submit the changes necessary for the new server.  You'll like Linux much more than Windows.

Nick Hendler

#5 07-02-2021 04:05:22

sqm24

Thanks for the info Nick.

Some host providers offer MariaDB as a database server. Can Kryptronic use that or is it MYSQL only?

#6 07-02-2021 10:14:36

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Our software works with MariaDB.  MariaDB is basically a variant of MySQL, and uses the PHP mysql drivers.

Nick Hendler

Board footer