Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 05-01-2019 07:01:15

CrownRoyal

suggestion on dealing with duplicate orders

Maybe in a future upgrade, the shopping cart could detect if the customer already bought the same product(s). Either check all online sales data the store may have, or limit to a time period, example, the last 6 months. If the customer wants to proceed, just check a box.

This will hopefully eliminate duplicate orders. It will help reduce customer inconvenience, lessen administration costs and eliminate non-refundable credit card processing fees.

Thanks fo rlistening.

#2 05-01-2019 07:50:20

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: suggestion on dealing with duplicate orders

Do you have customers that place the same order twice?  A lot?  Why are they doing this?  If we can understand what's causing them to place multiple orders, we could prevent it.  This is not normal behavior and indicates there may be an issue in your confirmation process making customers think their orders are not completed or need to be placed again.  I just ran through your entire build a couple of weeks ago during an update to 9.0.3 and it was clean at that time - processing properly.  Do you know why they're doing this?

Nick Hendler

#3 05-01-2019 07:53:43

CrownRoyal

No fault of your software Nick. Simply a case of the customers not paying attention to what they are buying. Its never a case of someone buying something then coming back a couple months later to buy the same thing. Usually its either they buy the same item same day or they buy duplicates on the same order.

#4 05-01-2019 08:04:22

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Sorry to ask so many questions - it's the engineer in me trying to understand the problem before offering up a solution.  What you're saying is that somewhat frequently, customers place an order with you, receive full proper confirmation (which clears their shopping cart out and says on the page 'thanks for your order' then emails them), then sometime later (usually the same day), having forgotten they placed the order, they add the same items to their cart again, and checkout and pay again?

Why?  Is it because you're selling inexpensive downloads and PDFs and they're going around the net placing so many orders with vendors for similar items that they might inadvertently come back to your site and place the same order again without realizing it?  Are they otherwise legitimate orders that you get paid on (ie: by real customers, not bots trolling testing payment info on low cost orders)?

Nick Hendler

#5 05-01-2019 15:53:46

CrownRoyal

webmaster wrote:

Sorry to ask so many questions - it's the engineer in me trying to understand the problem before offering up a solution.  What you're saying is that somewhat frequently, customers place an order with you, receive full proper confirmation (which clears their shopping cart out and says on the page 'thanks for your order' then emails them), then sometime later (usually the same day), having forgotten they placed the order, they add the same items to their cart again, and checkout and pay again?

Usually within a few minutes. Most common feedback I get is they didn't think the payment went through. Or, returning from the PayPal site the page fails to load for them (could be any reason for that).  Or, when they are buying a PDF, they don't take the time to look at the final page where it shows the download link in the Download section. Maybe I need a gif of a police car red and blue lights and big blinking arrows for where it says Downloads. smile

The other reason for duplicates is they add the same item twice to the shopping cart and checkout without paying attention to what they are buying.

webmaster wrote:

Why?  Is it because you're selling inexpensive downloads and PDFs and they're going around the net placing so many orders with vendors for similar items that they might inadvertently come back to your site and place the same order again without realizing it?  Are they otherwise legitimate orders that you get paid on (ie: by real customers, not bots trolling testing payment info on low cost orders)?

Why is a good question. All legit orders. Same sort of mentality whereby they will not give their phone number for privacy concerns, but have not problem providing their credit card information. It defies logic, but that's what we deal with. I don't think its a matter of them shopping for similar products elsewhere, then getting confused as to where they bought what (though that does occur). Its just inattention. Same as when A LOT of folks will autofill the checkout process and will provide false/wrong/irrelevent information for the address (last name, first name, street address in both Address line 1 and 2, town name twice).

#6 05-01-2019 15:57:32

CrownRoyal

For what its worth, this behaviour was established well before the recent upgrade, and still continues after the upgrade.

#7 05-02-2019 07:01:59

webmaster
Administrator
Website

My suggestion would be some extra messaging in checkout - perhaps a message triggered to alert somebody they place an order already that day, and another alert to tell them they have duplicate items in their cart.  If the alerts are the right color, and bold enough, hopefully they won't be missed.  We can get this done in around an hour for you under a custom shop job, if you;re interested.  Just submit a support ticket to get started.

Nick Hendler

#8 05-15-2019 05:14:17

ElectroSpares

Hi Nick
I would be interested in this as it happens all too often, customer comment today as he had placed two orders. I believe with a credit card payment the customer does not get automatically sent back to the site and then when they do the link has times out?

Contact Message: Message:
Hello, I have paid by credit card £14.95 for replacement shaver foil, having paid this a message said that the transaction was not valid. Went through the checkout again this time paid OK but then a statement again appeared saying the payment was invalid. I do not know if I've paid twice , once or not at all. Please advise, thanks Philip.

#9 05-15-2019 05:54:52

CrownRoyal

ElectroSpares wrote:

Contact Message: Message:
Hello, I have paid by credit card £14.95 for replacement shaver foil, having paid this a message said that the transaction was not valid. Went through the checkout again this time paid OK but then a statement again appeared saying the payment was invalid. I do not know if I've paid twice , once or not at all. Please advise, thanks Philip.

I've had similar customer comments.

#10 05-15-2019 07:10:19

webmaster
Administrator
Website

A transaction not valid message indicates the customer was relayed back from the processor using a URL that either did not contain all parameters required (order number, response code) or one that contained an invalid response code (not listed as valid).

Nick Hendler

#11 05-24-2019 02:47:34

sdn

We have also ocassionally had this problem. Seems like mainly Paypal but sometimes SagePay. I assume the cart is not getting the correct confirmation back so it displays the order failed message. We pick these up manually and cancel the duplicates. As we use "deferred" card payments we just abort the payment so no charges are levied.

Last edited by sdn (05-24-2019 02:48:24)

Simon

#12 05-24-2019 06:44:28

webmaster
Administrator
Website

I would think the processing is sending a status code back that is not listed as valid.  For example, PayPal sends back 'Completed' and 'Pending'.  Until we added 'Pending' as a default valid code in our software, clients experienced the same issues with orders that came back with that status code.  So that's where I would be looking first - to be sure the status code sent back with those unprocessed orders is actually valid and listed as a valid code under the 'Response Codes' field in the gateway setup (Store / Commerce / Processing Gateways).

Nick Hendler

Board footer