Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 05-08-2019 03:50:50

sdn

Breadcrumbs Behaviour

I noticed what seems to me to be an error in the breadcrumbs displayed. I visited our special offers page and then noticed that all of the sebsequent product pages I visited pointed to "Home > Special Offers > the products Direct Category Parent > the product title". If you click on the Direct Category Parent link you only see any iems that are on special offer rather than all of the products in that category.

I thought the breadcrumbs were now a true hierarchical display but it appears to be a combination of this and CCP8 breadcrumb trail. I don't see the logic of excluding items based on other pages visited. I saw one category page with no products in it (none were on special offer) which was pretty confusing.

Is that intentional, a coding error or me not having set a configuration option correctly somewhere?

Last edited by sdn (05-08-2019 04:06:08)

Simon

#2 05-08-2019 07:33:03

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: Breadcrumbs Behaviour

A change was made in release 9.0.3 for breadcrumbs and I've had one other report that special offers trails are not quite right.  I'm looking into that.  In 9.0.3 we added an additional category parent for offers and the coding was fully tested, but there may have been an adverse effect on breadcrumbs.

With that said (I'm looking deeper into it), what you explain here is proper behavior.  Special Offers should be it's own trail, so moving anywhere withing the Special Offers hierarchy should limit results in categories to just special offers in that category.

If we find that it is working as designed, that may not be optimal for you.  If that's the case, would you prefer an option to be added which disables the Special Offers hierarchy in favor of the standard hierarchy even if the customer is browsing within Special Offers?

Nick Hendler

#3 05-08-2019 07:54:53

sdn

OK, I understand your thinking on this now but being taken to an empty category page because no products are on special offer feels like an undesirable result. I think I would like to be shown all products because it might be that there is a better choice that is not on special offer. Maybe you could split the results and have the specials at the top and the rest of the products in that category listed below so everyone is happy, maybe...

Simon

#4 05-08-2019 08:00:50

webmaster
Administrator
Website

You said the trail is leading to the direct category parent of an offer that is a special offer.  If that's the case, that category should at least list the one special offer that belongs to that category.  Perhaps the offer is assigned to that category parent, but that category is not also related to it.  Check the offer, add the category parent to the related categories list and see if that looks better.

Let me know if that's better, and afterwards, let me know if that's sufficient, or whether you think we should still look into making a change.  Thank you.

Nick Hendler

#5 05-08-2019 08:12:38

sdn

I did a site search while on our specials page. I clicked through to the search result product page and then clicked on the parent category in the breadcrumbs and found no products listed. It was only then I realised I was at " Home > Special Offers > Direct Category Parent". Maybe clicking on a search result should break the "Special Offers" breadcrumb view. The only was I see of getting out is to use the nav menu.

Last edited by sdn (05-08-2019 08:19:28)

Simon

#6 05-09-2019 07:22:25

webmaster
Administrator
Website

OK - that's something I can look at.  Doing a search should reset the breadcrumbs and provide a direct category trail.  The only case I can think of where this could happen, though, is if you browsed to that offer through the special offers hierarchy then searched for that specific offer and clicked into it.  I'll make sure there's something put into the search in the next update that kills the breadcrumbs so even that can't happen.

Nick Hendler

Board footer