Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 07-10-2017 13:18:10

sbhkma

Offline Credit Card Length Limit on CVV

Is there any way I can limit the length of the input for the card verification number?

#2 07-11-2017 07:46:55

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: Offline Credit Card Length Limit on CVV

An edit in {private}/apps/ecom/ECOM/includes/olpform.php would handle that.  Add a maxlenth specification to the formfield by editing code.  That processing method is not recommended for production sites, FYI.  I am hoping this is just on a test site you're playing around with.  Production stores should be using a third-party processing gateway to ensure cardholder data is handled only by systems that are certified to handle it.

Nick Hendler

#3 07-11-2017 08:35:01

sbhkma

I agree, they should be using a 3rd party gateway.

#4 07-11-2017 11:07:06

gfrracing
Website

The 3rd party gateway to handle your card processing is a Joke. I went to K9 and with out the offline Credit Card Processing that V8 had I have had 2 charge backs for Fraud in one week time. I have had a website since 2001 doing the Offline Credit Processing Myself and have never had a Problem until Now. Then I had to Pay out the azz to get the merchant Processing set-up to work on K9.

So Rant Over on Credit Card Processing.  LOL

Gary

#5 07-11-2017 11:25:51

sbhkma

Ouch! Good to know though.

#6 07-12-2017 07:34:05

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Third party processing is the only way to handle payment processing in today's world. 

Using offline processing is so strongly ill-advised that Kryptronic has not included that module in K9, and Kryptronic will not be integrating or porting that module over for anyone to K9.  If you want to use that type of processing on K9, you will have to follow instructions for converting a 'custom' V8 payment gateway to K9 yourself, or have a third-party programmer do it for you.  Whether or not you like the costs and aggravations associated with third party processing, it's used for your protection, and your customer's protection. 

Anyone using this processing method on V8 and lower should change to using third party processing ASAP.  The liability for a merchant using offline processing methods is so high, in no way does it justify the costs of not using third party processing.

Nick Hendler

#7 07-12-2017 13:34:48

gfrracing
Website

Nick  I see what you are Saying. The Problem with the Credit Card Processing Company's is if you have a Online Store you the Seller has No Protection any More. That being said they do not Cross Check the Name to the Address on their Processing. 1 charge back that I got was a stolen Card from their Grandma use his Name and Her Address. How was I to know that it was not his Card. I sent all Paper work and E-Mails to the Credit Card Company they were the Ones that authorized it. So they said Sorry and took the money and now don't have the Money or the Product. I know this is not a Problem with Kryptronic website. Somebody needs to come up with a solution to this Problem for the Online Stores on Credit Card Processing. The Credit Card Company's Want To wash their Hands and dump it on the Sellers of Online store's.

The reason I like the Offline I have a lot of Repeat Customers They Call up Say Send that Item. Ok I run QuickBooks Invoice Their Info is Their. I Get their 3 digit card Number boom its Charged make Shipping Label gets Gone. I also have a lot of Preorder Item that are 3 to 4 months out you cannot Charge the Card until its ready to Ship. The card is authorized when the order is made it only last for 3 Days but you Have one Month to reauthorized the Card. their is so many orders going on you cannot reauthorized the Card every Month for 3 months before it Gone.

Now you have to send a Payment Invoice to the Customer when their Order is Ready to Ship 3 Month later.

I see were it would be a Risk in a big Business but not in Mine. Just me myself and I in this big Business. LOL

The Offline is not for Everybody but it is for Some of us. If you have items instock and ready to ship it not for you.

Thanks, GARY

#8 07-12-2017 23:55:32

labdogmom

There is no such thing as seller protection. If you've experienced a hefty charge-back that was no fault to you, you'd understand. Unfortunately, there are people in this world who lie, cheat, and steal from what they think is a big business, claiming fraud, non receipt of merchandise, you name it. Most of us are not crapping money like Amazon.com or Target and those charge-backs hurt. I can understand an honest mistake by a seller, shipping the wrong item, damaged shipment, a lost order and did not fulfill which I have done, but when a sale is made to us with a stolen credit card, how are we to know? And when someone claims they didn't receive an item and they did, I know of someone who does that constantly, we are out both the money and the product.

So my point here is that seller protection for online retailers does not exist. That is on my list of things to work on when I have time to solve the worlds problems.

I see your point on the risk of offline credit cards, but for those of us who use it now with V8 and have since V6, we have systems in place, relationships with our current processor with no huge fees, (in our case, no monthly fees, just a small transaction fee) with loyal customers who call and say I'd like such and such and we charge it and ship it, but not much extra money and having to sign up for, wait for approval and pay the monthly and transaction fees. We are obviously honest people or you would have shut us down years ago. That makes me question the trust that Kryptronic has for us. The cost to upgrade to V9 is high enough, then to add more fees on top of that is just too much. For that reason only, I will be staying with V8. Otherwise, it looks like a great platform. It's too pricey for the smaller businesses.

Just a note, Bank of America charges 500.00 to get started with their processing system.  I ain't got that kind of cash laying around here, that's for sure.

#9 07-13-2017 07:39:57

webmaster
Administrator
Website

We have a new module available now for K9 which ties into Authorize.net CIM.  CIM is a processing interface that stores customer profiles with payment information so you can charge cards at will without knowing the numbers.  It's designed for businesses like yours, GFR.  Please look into it.  We have a very nice integration handy.

We did not develop an offline processing module when building K9 not because we distrust our clients, but rather in an effort to protect them.  No matter how careful you are, processing offline is not appropriate for today's e-commerce environment.  Every e-commerce site is a target.  No matter how big, or small.  There is value to attackers anywhere that card information is exchanged.  This is not Kryptronic trying to make money by forcing upgrades to K9 (stay on V8, if you don't see the incredible value with K9) - this is Kryptronic trying to protect clients from inadvertently or unknowingly compromising their security then opening themselves to a world of hurt.  I hope you guys see that.

If you experience a cardholder data incident, you will be dealing directly with Visa, MC, Amex, etc.  Not your gateway.  If they discover you are using an offline method (and they will), the investigation will stop, and you will be issued a fine so hefty that it could destroy your business, then you will be shut down until you can pass a stringent, lengthy review which requires you to use an online processing gateway.  If they find you are using an online processing gateway, and you are passing PCI scans, and have the proper PCI SAQ in place, the investigation will progress, and you will at least have a chance at a positive outcome.

Perform a cost-benefit analysis on that, and see then if setting up proper processing doesn't make sense.

Nick Hendler

#10 07-13-2017 08:41:40

labdogmom

I see. That makes sense. It just stinks, NOT YOU, but the whole credit card thing in general. No matter how hard these companies try to avoid fraud, the thieves will figure out a way around it.

Thank you, I may go ahead and upgrade but financially I'm kinda hurting right now.

Give me a great sales pitch on the seo abilities of V9 and tell me how bad I need it. Do I have to pay upfront or am I billed monthly.

Thanks Nick!

#11 07-14-2017 08:50:09

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Great sales pitch:  With the increased speed, responsive design and SEO enhancements in K9, we have seen clients on average increase organic traffic by 30-35% and conversion rates by 35% on top of that traffic.  Past performance on other sites is not indicative of what your site will do, we make no guarantees.  One client had to shut off their phones due to too many incoming sales requests (mostly custom products), another had to reduce their Google AdWords spend so the warehouse could keep up with shipping due to order level increases, a third was 30% down in sales throughout 2016, installed K9 early in 2017 and is now up 15%.  We have many more success stories.  Management capabilities are greatly expanded and the system is easier to manage, we've opened up the ability to sell on channels like Amazon and eBay, integrated heavily with accounting systems and completely consolidated inventory management.  We've introduced refunds and credits, gift certificates, package deals, custom packages, video and doc support, full purchasing and purchase order support, vendors, etc, etc, etc.  That's just a rough skim of some of the new features.  Years of development and testing at your disposal.

Billing: We can bill monthly as part of a hosting plan (you pay for hosting and what you're using, base and xmods), or we can give you a standalone/self-hosted one-time price, or a self-hosted monthly price.  Just submit a quote request: https://kryptronic.com/Form/Custom-Shop … t-Upgrades

Nick Hendler

Board footer