Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 06-24-2017 05:03:44

sdn

Using ° In Product and Inventory Titles

Quite a few of our products use the degree sign in their title. If we write it as ° it works fine until you go in and edit the item again in admin. The ° text is then coverted to ° and that then appears as some random character like  when viewed in a browser.

Apart from the obvious solution of not using such symbols in titles, is there a solution that would allow their use?

Google displays the title fine in their search results. I realise they have no search value but the do make the result stand out from the crowd a little.

Last edited by sdn (06-25-2017 05:59:14)

Simon

#2 06-26-2017 08:24:28

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: Using ° In Product and Inventory Titles

I believe if you use ° (the keyboard symbol), and use a server encoding that supports that via Apache (UTF-8, I believe), and configure PHP so that the selected encoding is the default, everything will work.

Nick Hendler

#3 06-27-2017 13:34:47

sdn

It looks like we still need to set php configuration default_charset to utf-8 as it is still  on iso-8859-1

Before doing that, we were going to change db to utf8mb4 as its supposed to be more secure and future-proof but it also seems to create a bunch of other issues like:

"The InnoDB storage engine has a maximum index length of 767 bytes, so for utf8 or utf8mb4 columns, you can index a maximum of 255 or 191 characters, respectively. If you currently have utf8 columns with indexes longer than 191 characters, you will need to index a smaller number of characters when using utf8mb4. (Because of this, I had to change some indexed VARCHAR(255) columns to VARCHAR(191).)"

I see lots of tables in K9 specify VARCHAR over 191 so I guess that will cause a problem with utf8mb4?

I am using the info at https://www.toptal.com/php/a-utf-8-prim … -and-mysql to guide me on this. Can you confirm that K9 is set to work as described under the heading "PHP & UTF-8 Encoding – modifications to your code:" we run PHP Version 5.5.38 and MySQL Version 5.5.55-cll.

Do you know if anyone is using K9 OK with a utf8 or utf8mb4 db?

As a side note, are you running EasyApache 3 or 4 there? I am wondering if upgrading to 4 is worthwhile and if you have any experience with it?

Last edited by sdn (06-28-2017 06:49:27)

Simon

#4 06-28-2017 09:10:02

webmaster
Administrator
Website

There should be no primary keys (index columns) with lengths above 180.  This change was done early on in K9 to support maria DB.

I am not sure if there are any other users who have converted their DB, but am pretty sure some are running with a UTF8 charset.  I don't see that this would cause any issues.

We don't use cPanel, so we don't use EasyApache.  We've got an Interworx setup here.

Nick Hendler

Board footer