Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 01-16-2017 12:45:41

larry

freight on Purchase Orders

I don't see a freight charge on the Purchase Orders windows.  Is there any plans to pass that through from the sales order  and/or allow editing of that field so it shows up on the purchase orders for drop shippers?  Short of adding a note to ship on our FedEx or UPS account,  there's no reference to freight.

Laurie Stephens

#2 01-17-2017 07:57:37

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: freight on Purchase Orders

When adding a Purchase Order for dropshipped items, you're requesting the vendor send the items to the customer's shipping address using either 'Standard' or 'Express' shipping.  That choice is presented at the top of the Purchase Order create function.  What that choice means varies per vendor. 

We're assuming the vendor is shipping the goods and billing you for them, as well as the delivery charges.  At some point you will receive a bill from them for both.  If you want to avoid the bill for the delivery charges, you could add your UPS/FedEx account number to the 'Memo Prefill: Dropship Purchase Orders' setting found under Memo Prefill: Dropship Purchase Orders with a note to bill that number.  That memo prefill will show up in the Memo One field for all Dropship Purchase Orders automatically for you, and will be editable.

I'm not sure how/why you would tell the vendor what you charged the customer for delivery, so passing a charge for it is not an option.  The vendor is shipping the goods as per your request of 'Standard' or 'Express'.  I hope that helps.

Nick Hendler

#3 01-17-2017 08:35:34

larry

webmaster wrote:

I'm not sure how/why you would tell the vendor what you charged the customer for delivery, so passing a charge for it is not an option.  The vendor is shipping the goods as per your request of 'Standard' or 'Express'.  I hope that helps.

Thanks for the info!   There are some vendors where it is cheaper to pass through a freight amount on the order than it is for them to include their charge in the bill.   Some drop shippers make their money on the inflated difference.

Laurie Stephens

#4 01-17-2017 09:09:06

webmaster
Administrator
Website

I'm not quite sure I follow you, but likely have my head wrapped around how K9 works that I'm just not understanding.  What I read was: If you tell a vendor how much a customer paid for shipping then they discount your shipping charge.  That doesn't sound right.

Nick Hendler

#5 01-17-2017 09:22:43

larry

Nope..  Lets try this:

There are 3 freight rates: 
Retail - charged to the customer  (and calculated by the shopping cart)
Our discount rate - what we would get billed by FedEx if we shipped on our account
Drop shippers billed rate  -  could be higher or lower than our discount rate, sometimes higher than the retail rate.

Once you have some history with a vendor,  you can see if they are charging too much for freight just by doing a simple analysis.  Once identified, it is better for us to include a freight Amount on the PO than let them bill us.   The difference in freight may not mean much to them, so they just let it pass through as is and process the order.

Do enough business that way, it adds up.

I just like the option of including freight.  Our current accounting package always allows for a freight charge on POs.  Not sure why you wouldn't in your software regardless of what type of vendor (drop shipper)  it is intended.

Laurie Stephens

#6 01-17-2017 09:33:28

webmaster
Administrator
Website

From the purchase order perspective, in most cases you'd have no idea how the items being ordered will shipped (which carrier/service) or how big the shipment will be.  In my experience, the bill comes from the vendor with that info once they ship it, and it's unknown until that time.

I can see how in your case you would like to transmit that information to the shipper with a cost. Perhaps them memo fields are enough for you, or if not, we have a custom shop you could hire to add the exact functionality you desire.

Nick Hendler

Board footer