Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 09-05-2016 14:33:48

stevez

Internal order e-mails not arriving

We've found that internal order e-mails stop arriving for several hours, then start again for a few hours, then stop etc.

This has been going on for 4 days now. E-mails that stop arriving do not then arrive when it starts working again.ie - lost e-mails are lost - they have not been queued.

Sending a test e-mail from within the admin area "System > Mail > Send Mail Message" does not arrive. I have tried this with multiple different e-mail addresses (different mail providers) - so it's not a filtering issue. The domain is not blacklisted.

Does anyone have any idea what can be done to fix this?

Thanks for any help.

#2 09-06-2016 09:46:00

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: Internal order e-mails not arriving

Check with your hosting provider on this.  You likely have a backed up mail queue due to a stuck message.  Once they solve that, the queue should dump and you should receive all the mail that's been piling up.

Nick Hendler

#3 09-06-2016 09:57:07

stevez

Thanks Nick. I've been speaking to the hosting provider and they've run checks and have confirmed that the server is mailing correctly, there are no stuck mails.

If this was down to a single stuck mail, then we wouldn't be experiencing the issue that we are, namely that mail stops for a few hours, then starts, then stops etc. This has been going on for 4 days now.

When mail starts coming in again, all mail that was not delivered does not start to come in - it is lost. So, mail is not backing up

This perhaps seems to be something with the software? It stops sending out the internal confirmation e-mails for hours at a time.

This is also not due to filtering - we have it set up to mail to different e-mail addresses which use different ISP's. No e-mails arrive anywhere when the issue is happening.

Using the software to send a test message does not work.

Do you have any other idea what could be causing this?

Thank you.

#4 09-07-2016 07:44:38

webmaster
Administrator
Website

If ANY mail is being sent by the software, you have a mail server configuration issue that your host should correct.

If NO mail is being sent by the software, you should check your software installer configuration (mail setup specifically) and change it.

Nick Hendler

#5 09-07-2016 15:29:15

stevez

Nick,

It seems to be running fine now - no issues today. Rather odd, maybe a filtering issue that I've not been able to find, but it does seem ok at the moment.

Thanks for your reply.

#6 09-07-2016 15:38:13

stevez

Nick,

Just after I posted this message, I received an e-mail from the cient reporting that 4 orders did not come through via e-mail. I'm a recipient of the orders and I didn't receive it either.

This is odd, we've not had this issue before.

#7 09-07-2016 16:07:37

stevez

Nick,

To run the installer and check the mail settings I need to get the password, which I don't have.

Do I delete the entire lline in config.php (to get it to re-set):

$config['core.password'] = 'e107dd7391032506acf351fdfb5128d8';

or just the password, leaving this line exactly as below:

$config['core.password'] =

(I have edited the passsword encryption string, btw, for security reasons)

Thank you.

Last edited by stevez (09-07-2016 16:09:12)

#8 09-12-2016 09:39:56

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Set the password, and the corresponding password_copy in the private config.php file to blank.  Ie:

$config['core.password'] = '';

Nick Hendler

#9 09-15-2016 18:39:49

stevez

Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

I did what you suggested and then ran installer.php but got the following error message:

"You did not agree to the terms and conditions in the EULA. You must agree to these terms and conditions to continue."

The error page was then as usual - asking for my password - which I don't have, hence this re-set attempt which didn't work.

I have restored the previous config files in the root directory and core-private.

All I need to find is the mail settings as this issue is continuing. Where can I find these please?

Thank you.

#10 09-19-2016 06:59:49

webmaster
Administrator
Website

The mail settings are stored in the private config.php file.

Nick Hendler

#11 09-19-2016 15:02:09

stevez

Thanks Nick. The system uses sendmail. Is there a mail-delivery format that is more preferable to sendmail, would you know?

#12 09-22-2016 15:43:57

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Sendmail is generally stable.  You can switch to 'smtp' using localhost with port 25.   The 'PHP mail()' option is the easiest to set up, but it doesn't handle BCCs at all.

Nick Hendler

#13 10-26-2016 06:13:06

stevez

Hi Nick,

Thanks for all your help with this. I will change to SMTP mail but the instlaller still won't run, I'm getting the same error message as I mentioned  - four messages above this one.

Or is there an easier way of changing to SMTP mail?

Thanks again for your help.

#14 10-26-2016 07:22:52

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Edit the config.php file in the private install directory.  You'll want these lines:

Code:

$config['core.mail_mailtype'] = 'smtp';
$config['core.mail_sendmail'] = '';
$config['core.mail_host'] = 'localhost';
$config['core.mail_port'] = '25';
$config['core.mail_user'] = '';
$config['core.mail_pass'] = '';

Nick Hendler

#15 10-26-2016 09:52:15

stevez

Thank you Nick, that's very helpful.

So, for:

$config['core.mail_host'] = 'localhost';

I change localhost to the smtp server IP, is that so?

There's no username or password,and presumably

is left as it is, so I end up with:

$config['core.mail_mailtype'] = 'smtp';
$config['core.mail_host'] = 'SMTP server IP (ie 111.222.333.444)';
$config['core.mail_port'] = '25';
$config['core.mail_user'] = '';
$config['core.mail_pass'] = '';

I just need to be sure so this will work fine when I set it live.

Thanks again for your help.

#16 11-02-2016 08:30:07

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Correct.  And typically 'localhost' works where you have 'SMTP server IP (ie 111.222.333.444)'.  If you are not using a local mail server, authentication is probably required, but I read you're using the same server to send mail, ie: localhost with no auth works 99% of the time.

Nick Hendler

#17 11-02-2016 19:30:02

stevez

Thanks Nick. Much appreciated.

#18 11-08-2016 14:54:19

larry

May I interject here?  This has suddenly started happening to us seemingly randomly.   We get some internal order confirmations but not others.   I suspect some data corruption, but cannot find ANY special characters, or differences between "good" orders and ones that don't work.   Resend in the backend does not work.    We have one customer with an account, that every order results in NO internal order confirmation.   Yet we have other customers with accounts that work fine.   Just yesterday, I had a customer create an account, then enter an order.  we received no order confirmation.  I'm thinking the "create account" form and the "guest checkout" form needs reset to stock.  I have no idea if it has been changed in the past. Any idea where I can get a fresh copy?

btw -  We're running "mail" as our smtp, and have external mail.  And we're running V8.0.9 Component Base of CCP.

Laurie Stephens

#19 11-09-2016 08:27:45

webmaster
Administrator
Website

@larry: You're better off turning on the debugger and trying to fire off one of those mails that you know you have problems with.  Check the debugger output and see what's going on.  Is there an attempt to send the ordconfint mail message?  If so, start looking at your mail server for issues.  Even DNS and improper MX/SPF setup can be issues these days.  Lots to check there before you get rid of your mods trying to hunt down an issue.

Nick Hendler

#20 11-09-2016 13:05:19

larry

Debugger turned on.  I sent internal order confirmation for a known working email, and a known non-working email.  The logs are identical, with what appears to be successful mail sent, with the exception of this line, in the log where the email never arrives:

"CORE_Error::error: Non-fatal error encountered: Undefined index: loyaltypoints File: /apps/ecom/ECOM/includes/ordersummarytxt.php Line: 773
"

I found "loyaltypoints" field in the user account table, and both  user accounts hold the value "0".

any advice?

Laurie Stephens

#21 11-10-2016 07:26:15

webmaster
Administrator
Website

That's a non-pertinent error.  Would not cause mail to fail sending.  Do you see entries from the CORE_Mail class?  You'll see the mail actually being built and sent if you look.

Nick Hendler

#22 11-10-2016 10:48:27

larry

Yes.  Here's the log:
CORE_Mail::make_email_fromdb: XHTML content inclusion completed.

CORE_Mail::make_email_fromdb: XHTML skin and content merged. XHTML message completed.

CORE_Mail::make_email_fromdb: Reset robot status and conditionally logged user back in.

CORE_Mail::make_email_fromdb: Formulated message 'ecom.ordconfint'.

CORE_Mail::send_email: Built factory for Mail object. Using 'mail' backend.

CORE_Mail::send_email: Set the TXTBody parameter on the Mail object.

CORE_Mail::send_email: Set the HTMLBody parameter on the Mail object.

CORE_Mail::send_email: Retrieved the Body object from the Mail object.

CORE_Mail::send_email: Set the Headers parameter on the Mail object.

CORE_Mail::send_email: Sent mail message.

ECOM_Order_mailinternal::exec: Ran ECOM_Order_mailinternal module for order 'M201611073'.

ECOM_Order::do_orderprocess: Finished run of all processing modules above 900 level (mail).

ECOM_Order::print_message: Printing message 'ordtasksconf' for component 'ecom'.

Laurie Stephens

#23 11-11-2016 07:29:31

webmaster
Administrator
Website

CORE_Mail::send_email: Sent mail message.

Looks like everything is OK on the software end.  Check the mail server / mail logs.

Nick Hendler

#24 11-14-2016 15:00:04

larry

I was able to confirm that our email server never received the order confirmations, nor were they bounced.  So the issue is at the server level.  I pursued that with tech support for our server, and here is their response: 

"Unfortunately you cannot send email as somebody else without their authorization. In short - you need to configure your software to use your customer's email address as the "reply-to" header and not the "from" header.

Doing this will more than likely resolve your issue entirely.

The thing to keep in mind is that when you send email as somebody - if they SPF, DKIM, or DMARC enabled that lists what servers can and cannot send for their domain - you won't be included in that list and, as such, messages you send as them will fail [even to yourself]."

CCP has always sent internal emails "from"  the customer's email address, "to" our domain email  address.  So how do I change that to send "from" and "to"  our domain,  but with a reply-to set to the customer's email address?

aol.com as a domain is definitely blocked.

Laurie Stephens

#25 11-15-2016 10:51:09

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Simple way: Under System / Mail / Mail Messages, edit each of the mail messages and ensure the from address is always yours, and never references the customer or their session email.  This does not handle the reply-to change.

Simpler way: Use a different mail server, as yours has unreasonable restraints for an ecommerce site.  Consider Google apps maybe (gmail with your domain).

To handle this with the software, and handle the reply-to, you'll need to mod {private}/core/CORE_Mail/CORE_Mail.php or have our custom shop do it.

Nick Hendler

Board footer