Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 01-14-2016 16:00:42

coatzel21
Website

V9 Beta

Will there be an opportunity for developers to preview a demo version of V9 before purchase.

Also wondering about how seamless the transition from product options/ selection items to inventory items.

Thanks

#2 01-15-2016 07:51:53

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: V9 Beta

A couple of developers have it now.  The main focus on that end has been making sure the new display skin system is working for everyone's needs.  We're not releasing it to anyone else before the public release, unless you have a Custom Shop job open right now for an upgrade.  There are several clients in that queue. 

Concerning the product option to inventory item import, that's handled by the importer.  If the options are set up as inventoried, they will be transferred over.  Any non-inventory options will remain as options and be tied to any created inventory items as options, or to the base offer, if a service (not shippable).  It's kind of complicated, but it does the right thing.

Nick Hendler

#3 01-20-2016 13:29:42

lgt
Website

I can attest  that NO ONE except for the first selected are getting even the slightest behind the scene peek.

In the 6 months past the initial promised delivery date-I have begged, screamed, cussed, and called Nick everything but a child of God for a look-see at the back end so I could start to revise my listings.  All to no avail.

I've decided to rewrite from scratch every single category and every single product on every website rather than have them imported.  From what I've seen on the front end, there are so many more options, that each product needs its own consideration.  We are going from hundreds of products to thousands so it will be quite an undertaking.

I can tell you I'm as frustrated as everyone else not being able to see the back end.  I think when it finally comes out in June that it will be worth the wait.

#4 01-20-2016 20:08:52

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Not June.  No way.  Keep checking the main release date post.  It's still Jan 31.  Not saying that won't change a BIT, just so we can get guys like you updated ahead of everyone, lgt, but as you can see, it's all but done.  We've got a short list of bonus stuff we're working through now.  Just holding off on the bulk of installs like yours so that we can ensure when you get the software, you don't have to update it or change it after release.  Everyone is getting release quality packages, whether on the short list or not.  We're done with the betas.

Nick Hendler

#5 01-20-2016 22:30:11

lgt
Website

June?  Oh.  Auto-correct (GRIN).

No, I can't see that "it is all but done" because I can't see the back end!

Nick, when have I ever complained about doing updates or changes?  I've been with you since Feb 12, 2007 (KRYPT2007021210).  Certainly there was once.  No?  Oh.

The HTML source code I can see looks pretty much the same as it did several months ago so I assume you've been working on the server side.

I'd be much less frustrated if V9 didn't look so good, 'cause I would've left in May. 

The HTML source is almost textbook Google SEO friendly.  Some purists may be unhappy the 'Category Feature Grid' uses a table, but I'm not complaining.

The icons are an excellent new feature as is the Category Feature Grid. 

I really like the way optional items are displayed. 

Responsive design and inline microdata are long past due.  Most carts use schema.org, Google prefers data-vocabulary.org like you're using. 

I assume you are using sprites to cut down on server calls?  I know there are a lot-lot more load-time and PageSpeed improvements but this post is long enough.

From the outside looking in, this is the most advanced out-of-the-box cart on the market.

Frankly, it has not been in your most loyal customers' best interest to not at least give them a look-see at the back end.   Or maybe you have let your most loyal customers see the back end and I know where I stand? 

I'm mad only because a sneak-peek a couple months ago would have allowed me to rewrite everything on my end so we could drop and go.

Last edited by lgt (01-20-2016 22:34:08)

#6 01-21-2016 08:52:27

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Some purists may be unhappy the 'Category Feature Grid' uses a table, but I'm not complaining.

No other way to pull that one off, but it's an option, so the purists don't have to use it if they don't want to.  All tables are responsive, so you'll see it collapses nicely to a mobile view when you shrink your browser width down below 500px.

I assume you are using sprites to cut down on server calls?

Yes, and they're minimized.  There are two, one primary color (black) and one inverted (white), and each weigh around 30k.  You can change them very easily by overriding them in your skin to get different colors, or different icons altogether.  There's 92 icons in each sprite, with 10 custom slots and 1 default included in that number. 

I know there are a lot-lot more load-time and PageSpeed improvements

Correct.  All HTML was moved from XHTML1 to HTML5, and made responsive, 95% of the third party javascripts and CSS in use in V7 and V8 were replaced with homegrown versions built to be lightweight and work perfectly with the new software, all CSS was rewritten and consolidated, sprites were created and implemented, the build was constantly checked against Google Page Speed Insights and ranks at a 97%, I believe.  The remaining 3% is an unattainable requirement without a serious FOUC (Google wants CSS loaded after the HTML source for that last 3%).

Frankly, it has not been in your most loyal customers' best interest to not at least give them a look-see at the back end.   Or maybe you have let your most loyal customers see the back end and I know where I stand?

Honestly, there was way more work to do this build than we anticipated.

For example, going responsive on paper looked like a 3-4 week deal, but it took 6 months (see comment directly above about why).  Plus another month of debugging in beta environments, tracking down issues on old Android OSes that only show up on government issued welfare phones, and on weird (only out for days) iOS builds.

Right now we have a bunch of clients who are using the beta, which is basically identical to V8, with the exception of the use of the new V9 responsive skin.  They have been running since this past summer, and I am happy to report that after millions of pageviews, and millions of dollars made, there are no issues with the V9 frontend.  Aside from having to debug some strange issues as noted above, it's perfect.

The second, and bigger phase of this project involved getting the system into a format which would allow it to sell on it's own online store as well as on other channels, like eBay and Amazon.  We also had a bunch of other requirements too (POS, MultiSite, etc).  Most of this, when we started this project, had been done in one form or another for clients, and again, on paper, this looked like 1-2 months worth of work.  After having just spent the last 8 months working on this phase, I can say that the original estimates were grossly incorrect.

What began as porting over existing mods into a system with a new responsive skin, developed into a near complete rebuild of nearly every internal function and external display that the software comprises.  This had to be done in order to make all the pieces fit correctly, make them work properly, and to make everything work for everyone.  This had to be done so the software could be done right.  So it could be a release that we are proud of, and a release that will make our clients more money.  We've basically taken it on the chin getting this thing done in an effort to get you guys the best product possible - what you need today for tomorrow.

Nobody has access to this second part yet, lgt.  Not you, not anyone.  You are in fact on the list to get it as soon as I sign off on it.  I am doing a final install on a client site through today and tomorrow, and if all goes well, you'll have it this weekend sometime to play with.  I've only got one issue noted so far, and that's inventory is going on sales order too early in the process for POS orders marked as future orders (ie. future execution date).  We're almost there...

Nick Hendler

#7 01-21-2016 20:51:57

lgt
Website

..if all goes well, you'll have it this weekend sometime

I'll believe it when I don't believe it no more.

As soon as it is installed I'll rehire my other content writer and graphic designer.  Both of them will be glad to be working again.  Especially for me.

Hopefully the skin will be ready the first of next week.

Are you planning on setting up 855sheller.com as the main and eGarden.com as the first multi-store?

#8 01-22-2016 07:15:31

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Yes, as per your open ticket, unless you get back to me saying you want to do a different one.

Nick Hendler

#9 01-24-2016 19:17:48

lgt
Website

..if all goes well, you'll have it this weekend sometime

I'm sorry, did you mean this weekend or this weekend after this weekend?

You'd think after all these years I'd get a Kryptronic calendar and decoder ring so I could decipher dates.  I'm such a stooge.

Oh, can more than 1 person work on the system at a time?  Since there are multiple websites, plus shipping, locking the database for a single user might be problematic.

#10 01-25-2016 08:07:02

webmaster
Administrator
Website

I meant this past weekend, but will likely be doing the install tomorrow.  We got hit with a blizzard and I had to spend most of the weekend dealing with all that entails.  Yes, more than one person can work in the system at a time.  They would need different accounts, obviously.  All overwrite rules apply - two people can't be working on the same thing (product, category, etc) at the same time.  You could have a whole team ringing orders for different customers at the same time using the POS, or different people shipping different packages, etc.

Nick Hendler

Board footer