Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 10-29-2015 11:58:11

sdn

V9 Checkout

Will there be any streamling to the checkout process in V9?

Quite a lot of suggestions have been made on the forum for possible improvements So I wonder if any of them might make the release e.g.

Add country selector to shopping cart and allow pre-checkout shipping option selection (this would also improve PayPal Express checkout) and make the shipping estimator  redundant.

Add Country based selector to narrow States dropdown (see https://forum.kryptronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=32261 and https://forum.kryptronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=32444).

As a footnote to this post, we sent over 20 emails to a Stateside customer trying to convince him that Michigan was listed. Each time he claimed it did not exist. Eventually we set Michigan sort order to zero so it came top of the list and finally he found it and placed an order. The current ordering process is loosing us sales.

Last edited by sdn (11-02-2015 13:11:07)

Simon

#2 10-30-2015 06:42:10

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: V9 Checkout

V9 includes quite a few modifications to checkout, but none that I would classify as major.  The country based selector you mention is not a part of the release.  Most of the updates concentrate on additional sales and promotion logic, and making checking out a bit easier from a UI perspective.

Nick Hendler

#3 10-30-2015 06:54:48

lgt
Website

As a footnote to this post, we sent over 20 emails to a Stateside customer trying to convince him that Michigan was listed. Each time he claimed it did not exist. Eventually we set Michigan sort order to zero so it came top of the list and finally he found it and placed an order. The current ordering process is lossing us sales.

He was probably looking for Michigan below Ohio State. (Big Ten football joke).  Well, not really a joke because it's true.  But still..

Last edited by lgt (10-30-2015 06:55:32)

#4 11-01-2015 08:11:38

lgt
Website

Is there still a one page checkout option?  From limited access, it seems it has been rolled back to V6.

I'm kind of surprised V9 doesn't have the credit card button you created for me.  It does minimize confusion with just the PayPal Express button.  It eliminated people calling me up about not having PayPal.

Will the guest checkout just be a link or a button?

#5 11-02-2015 07:57:14

webmaster
Administrator
Website

V9 has the same checkout functionality as V8 (ajax one page included).  I'm not sure which example you were looking at, but they client may have had it off.  Update your open ticket concerning the checkout button mod you're referencing.  I don't recall it, but it could be a cool, easy thing to drop in.

Nick Hendler

#6 11-02-2015 09:55:16

sdn

Anything to streamline the checkout is worthwhile effort. Other carts I have used seem to have got their checkout process nicely streamlined to minimise cart abandonment. From an e-tailers perspective, it is the worst of all failures, having spent a small fortune on advertising, etc. to get people to that point only to throw it all away at the last hurdle.

Simon

#7 11-02-2015 10:15:15

lgt
Website

I particularly like the checkout page where the billing/shipping are side-by-side.

I'm still loving the UPS address verification that few carts seem to have.

CCP checkout isn't bad, so I don't think there is any cart abandonment problems to speak of.  But the quicker from added to cart to completed the better.

#8 11-02-2015 10:51:16

sdn

We do see some checkout issues including

1. Confusion over the PayPal Express final page authorisation (most carts complete the order automatically once you have logged in to PayPal)
2. UK sales tax not included in PayPal Express checkout amount
3. Both would be solved by having a country selector and shipping option selection before commencing the checkout process (this seems to be the most commonly used system I have seen on other carts).
4. For account creation/guestco the State dropdown displays only those relevant to Country selected in 3 above

It would seem sensible to follow the herd on the checkout process so that it is unimaginatively predictable.

Last edited by sdn (11-02-2015 11:02:08)

Simon

#9 11-02-2015 11:30:30

htw_simon
Website

We get exactly the same issues here. A fix for all of these would be great.

Simon

sdn wrote:

We do see some checkout issues including

1. Confusion over the PayPal Express final page authorisation (most carts complete the order automatically once you have logged in to PayPal)
2. UK sales tax not included in PayPal Express checkout amount
3. Both would be solved by having a country selector and shipping option selection before commencing the checkout process (this seems to be the most commonly used system I have seen on other carts).
4. For account creation/guestco the State dropdown displays only those relevant to Country selected in 3 above

It would seem sensible to follow the herd on the checkout process so that it is unimaginatively predictable.

#10 11-02-2015 16:19:53

lgt
Website

Oh-oh.  Hopefully this can be in a future fix rather than delay the release.

I wonder sometimes if they don't get very close to releasing a new version or update then try to implement something else totally new. 

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

#11 11-03-2015 08:17:16

webmaster
Administrator
Website

(1) I'm sure you know the difference between PayPal Express and PayPal Standard.  I think you're comparing the two, though.

(2) This will be addressed in V9, it will take just a few minutes to address this.

(3) Doesn't need to happen.  See (1).

(4) Has been on a list somewhere for some time now.  Seems like other more important things push it.

Nick Hendler

#12 11-03-2015 09:27:01

htw_simon
Website

Hi Nick,

(1) We use PayPal Express, not PayPal Standard, and when you return from the PayPal site the cart displays a page which needs to be submitted before the order is completed. It's this page which is unnecessary and that most other carts do away with. I believe this point is valid, could you just confirm if/ why this is not the case?

Simon

#13 11-04-2015 06:18:16

sdn

1. Yes I am talking about PayPal Express. I have not seen any other cart that works like CCP for a PayPal Express checkout hence the reason I mention it because it creates a lot of confusion and lost sales.
2. If addressed means adding 20% to all order totals then it incorrectly assumes all customers pay 20% tax which is not the case for customers outside the EU hence another reason to have point 3.
3. Is needed to preselect the country and relevant shipping selection options if you are going to address 1
4. I hope you find the list.

What I give you is real world feedback direct from the people that use our website.

Last edited by sdn (11-04-2015 06:23:03)

Simon

#14 11-04-2015 08:37:29

webmaster
Administrator
Website

PayPal Express only works in one way - preapprove the order at PayPal then do the final approval on the site after the shipping and taxes are calculated. I appreciate your feedback on this.  I'm not sure we're doing anything at this point with this, because it's going to take some time to figure out.  It's a two-edged sword.

Nick Hendler

#15 11-06-2015 11:35:12

sdn

As a stopgap solution could we add another Submit Order (final approval) button to the top of the final PayPal Express checkout screen? That would at least stand out and make people aware of the need to complete the sale. Where would we go to add one?

Simon

#16 11-09-2015 08:11:26

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Are you sure you're not confusing PayPal Express with PayPal Standard?  Standard would work exactly the way you want it to.  The return page already says at the top something to the effect of 'Thank you, complete you order by...' on the return from PayPal when using Express.  You could also edit the checkout intro header include (/{private}/apps/ecom/ECOM/includes/coformintro.php) to add messaging if you wish.

Nick Hendler

#17 11-09-2015 09:37:08

sdn

I am referring to PayPal Express. The checkout process is:

1. Add product to cart
2. See product in shopping cart
3. Hit PayPal Express checkout button
4. Login to PayPal account
5. Return to our CCP website and get a chance to review the order before
6. actually placing the order by hitting Process Payment button

Step 5 is the page we are at cross purposes on and the one that confuses our customers as most other carts are done at this point and the order is placed and they don't expect there to be a Step 6.

Other carts do not allow you to change the order at step 4 but no need as they got all that out of the way at step 2.

If you still think I am wrong please do a PayPal Express checkout on your own demo site.

Last edited by sdn (11-09-2015 10:06:49)

Simon

#18 11-09-2015 20:21:04

lgt
Website

I think what Nick is trying to explain is PayPal Express requires the steps you outlined above. https://developer.paypal.com/docs/class … ngStarted/

However, PayPal Standard does not.  Essentially, in PayPal Standard the order is completed on the PayPal site .

The PayPal Express button is a requirement as part of the user agreement for PayPal Pro.  CCP is just complying with that user agreement.  Removing it can result in PayPal unceremoniously closing your account.

The sites that use PayPal Standard (to avoid returning) either have to go to the PayPal site for every transaction ( no collecting CC information on the cart website) or they use a different merchant processor for credit cards. 

PayPal Express sends the user shipping info back (thus the express) while PayPal Standard, the information is collected at the cart website.

I agree that Express would be better if the transaction could be completed at PayPal, but this is not a CCP inefficiency.

Last edited by lgt (11-09-2015 20:25:02)

#19 11-10-2015 05:36:06

sdn

PayPal Express is by far the most popular checkout route used on our site these days (we also have merchant facilities for card payments and the PayPal standard options available).

It is also the one we see the most amount of pending payment or completion failures for. There are almost none for PayPal standard.

I assume the primary objective of CCP is to be an ecommerce platform that helps you to maximise your online sales. Sure it needs to comply with the PayPal agreement but that should be implemented with the primary objective in mind.

Last edited by sdn (11-10-2015 05:37:57)

Simon

#20 11-10-2015 07:12:02

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Our PayPal Express integration is implemented as per PayPal's requirements for Express.  The express button is required to show up in the shopping cart, prior to customer information being collected, prior to checkout, prior to any shipping calculations.  Any other implementation is against PayPal requirements.  The button must be on the cart page.

The whole point of PayPal Express is to expedite checkout by the customer.  The objective is to get the customer to pre-approve the order at PayPal without ever having to enter their personal info on your site.  The flow is Cart -> PayPal -> Checkout where shipping and taxes are calculated and approval must be granted.  The customer doesn't have to enter their info anywhere as PayPal sends it to Checkout.

Your Issue 1: Your EU-based store is having tax issues because the customer location has not been collected to calculate taxes prior to the transfer, and the ultimate approval amount is greater than the approval amount plus 25%.

Your Issue 2: You're also having conversion issues because your customers are not approving your Express orders.

Issue 1 may be solved simply by transmitting the taxable amount with VAT to PayPal (the final order can always be less, and up to 25% more of the approved amount).  Issue 2 may be solved with better messaging in checkout.

Are you sure that the stores your comparing to are actually using PayPal Express?  Have you considered that your use rate on PayPal Express is high because it's the highlighted checkout option on your cart page?

Nick Hendler

#21 11-17-2015 08:54:41

sdn

Difficult for me to provide an example as it means actually placing an order. I will let you know when I find an example...

Simon

Board footer