Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 10-21-2015 20:27:59

ambassador

Generating Static Web Pages with v9

Can v9 easily be made to generate static web pages?  The associated pre-cached-like web pages are usually produced by initially building the store in the typical fashion (using a database), saving the “static” (i.e., independent of a database) web pages, and then placing the static pages in the website directories associated with the website’s URL. 

The static website arrangement requires more hosting disk space than the comparable non-static website requires, but the resulting server load and page load times are reduced.

Note that in this context, static does not mean there are no dynamic (e.g., server-side PHP) behaviors associated with the website’s operation.

#2 10-22-2015 15:19:54

sdn

Re: Generating Static Web Pages with v9

I had the very same thought some time ago. Why do it all on the fly when product pages and base category pages are really static content? Surely that would give fast response times and lower server loads all of which are good SEO.

Simon

#3 10-23-2015 07:46:41

webmaster
Administrator
Website

There is too much of a mix of dynamic and static content on the pages to produce them statically.

One of the last pieces I want to do for V9 before it launches is a cache mechanism that caches portions of the skin and frequently accessed HTML pages and categories.  The spec I have now calls for caching different elements based on the browser's usergroup and mutlisite URL.  So basically each cached element would be cached based on site and user type.  By caching pieces of the output we save a lot of resources without sacrificing features and functionality.

This would be an on/off feature and wouldn't cause all the issues typical caches experience.  It's slated todo if time allows.  We're really trying to get this out the door ASAP as we've got quite a few clients waiting on upgrades already.

Nick Hendler

#4 10-23-2015 08:40:03

sdn

Understood.

I am happy to accept any method you choose so long as it delivers the desired results.

How to get on the waiting list?

Simon

#5 10-26-2015 07:36:02

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Submit a custom shop quote request if you'd like us to do an upgrade for you.  It's a custom shop job, and likely costs more than you think it will, due to the labor involved.  We can do anything from plain vanilla stock upgrades to porting over custom code.

Nick Hendler

#6 10-26-2015 18:08:13

ambassador

Regarding "... too much of a mix of dynamic and static content ..." - the use of static web pages is not a function of the mix of PHP and database references.  The production of static pages can be accomplished by; for example, modularizing the code associated with database references.

#7 10-27-2015 07:13:46

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Check what I posted about the proposed cache module in #3 above.

Nick Hendler

#8 12-30-2015 14:08:13

ambassador

Now that some time has passed, what is V9 becoming with respect to generating static web pages or caching portions of V9?

#9 12-31-2015 08:25:30

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Caching will be available in V9 as per post 3 in this thread.  We're approaching it by balancing speed, resource usage and overall usability.  It's impossible to cache everything for everyone on an ecommerce site, however caching frequently hit page components works very well.  We're anticipating well over 75% of traffic will receive over 75% cached content in final pageviews based on traffic patterns, and what is cached.  That translates into speed and resource usage decreases without affecting usability at all.

Nick Hendler

Board footer