Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 04-24-2015 07:53:07

ThomasGiannou

Shopping cart fails when website PW is modified.

When I change the password into my website domain, the shopping cart fails to work.  As I recall, the pw into the cart database is the same as the old domain pw.  It appears that there is some kind of synchronization between one or more shopping cart programs and the website domain pw in order for the shopping cart to get to the database.   

What I'm trying to figure out is what is the order of things that I need to follow when changing the cpanel pw into the website domain so I don't encounter errors accessing the shopping cart?  I don't want to screw something up and possibly loose the database to the shopping cart.

I suspect I can change the pw to the domain.  Then go in and change the pw to the database.   Then run the install through some step.   This is just a guess on my part.   I'd like to get confirmation on the process before I try something that ends up creating a bigger problem.

#2 04-27-2015 07:25:45

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: Shopping cart fails when website PW is modified.

You would need to run the installer to update the database password CCP uses.  The software does not use or rely on the web account (FTP) password for anything.  If you used the same password for both, that's coincidental, and nothing should prevent you from changing your FTP password.

If your database password is in fact changing when you change your FTP password, that would be an issue with your hosting control panel.

Nick Hendler

#3 04-27-2015 11:59:09

ThomasGiannou

I know that when I originally set up CCPRO years ago, I made the pw into the database be the same password I was using to get into cpanel.   From what you are saying, when I changed the cpanel pw the cpanel software must have changed the pw into the database.   

I've always assumed the database pw is totally independent from cpanel.   When I saw the shopping cart get an error after I made that pw change to cpanel,  I knew something was out of sync so I changed the cpanel pw back to what it was originally and the shopping cart started working again.   

Does the database maintain a date-time-stamp of when an internal definition was changed?   Is there a database log file where changes to the database or logged?   It's been a long time since I last looked at this database operation.   

What I could do is call technical support at the website hosting company and ask them if they know if the database pw would be changed if I changed the cpanel pw.

#4 04-29-2015 06:14:00

webmaster
Administrator
Website

I've always assumed the database pw is totally independent from cpanel.

It should be.  In my experience with cPanel, the two are not related.  (Unless there's a helper script running that's looking for the password in files in your site and changing it for you).

Does the database maintain a date-time-stamp of when an internal definition was changed?

No, but you can check the timestamp on the private config.php file (which holds the database password) and see when it was last modified.  That could give you a clue if you haven't run your installer lately.

Nick Hendler

Board footer