Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 04-04-2015 12:34:00

Blitzen

Google Demoted CCP8 Websites Because of Mobi Structure

Hi,

My clients' CCP websites were demoted on mobile devices because they were not mobile friendly.
Go to Google's test page and enter your website url.
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly

We get this returned.
Not mobile-friendly
Page appears not mobile-friendly
Text too small to read
Links too close together
Mobile viewport not set
Content wider than screen

If we submit a sitemap for mobile devices, this might overcome that.

What are the URLs for mobile devices?
How can we program CCP8 to create a sitemap for mobile devices?

<urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9" xmlns:mobile="http://www.google.com/schemas/sitemap-mobile/1.0>

Then we need to list the mobi URLs.

Thank you.

#2 04-06-2015 06:42:10

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: Google Demoted CCP8 Websites Because of Mobi Structure

First, Google has not demoted any sites.  Google will begin promoting what it views as mobile friendly sites in mobile searches on 04/21.  You should apply update 8.0.9 to your client's software.  This update contains an important security change and updates to the software so that Google's mobile friendliness checker tool accurately sees the site as mobile friendly.

https://kryptronic.com/blog/2015/03/sof … ion-8-0-9/

Nick Hendler

#3 04-06-2015 12:30:29

Blitzen

First, sites were demoted in _mobi searches. I know that from the site stats, there was a  and we get the notice. No changes were made anywhere to account for the drop.The notice from google reads, "These pages will not be seen as mobile-friendly by Google Search, and  for smartphone users."

Second, your patch didn't work unless we removed googlebot from your robots array.

Third, I guess the answer to my question is that there is no independent URL for mobi.

We are running fine for now. Thanks for your assistance.

#4 04-07-2015 06:46:03

webmaster
Administrator
Website

There is no independent URL for mobile views.  Google is not supposed to kick in that algorithm until 04/21, so I am unsure as to how you are seeing results at this point.  If properly applied, the only mod needed is to the session startup file (not the CORE_Session class).  The 8.0.9 update included this change.

Nick Hendler

#5 04-07-2015 11:37:00

Blitzen

I don't know where you think Google has not started this. Their direct quote is "Starting April 21, we will be expanding our use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal."

"Expanding" implies it has begun and that not every website was analyzed and affected. Google does not just launch something without rugged testing. I suspect that they did a trial with some websites, and one of our sites was part of that. They generally start with US websites, then expand to the rest.

We have an experienced statistician who analyzes our clientele traffic and other data for trends and significant correlations. A 30% decline in traffic was observed on a website whose product lines have increased by at least 50%. With that expansion, an increase in traffic was expected, not a significant decline. There was no reason for the decline except that the website was part of their initial launch.

If there are any more ideas out there, we welcome hearing them and I'll have our statistician look into it.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. … earch.html

Last edited by Blitzen (04-07-2015 12:11:46)

#6 04-08-2015 08:04:28

webmaster
Administrator
Website

The 50% increase in the product line would have resulted in a significant increase in the number of pages indexed and submitted via sitemaps, feeds, etc.  Here are a couple of thoughts:

(1) The server isn't up to handling the expanded catalog and your page load times have increased to the point where you're getting less views per visitor or Google has demoted the listings due to speed issues.

(2) Google has viewed the significant increase in the number of pages on the site as a substantial changed and has sandboxed your site temporarily (some believe this is an urban myth, I have seen it to be true).

These are far-out-there suggestions that could account for what you've seen.  Think outside the box a bit.

Nick Hendler

#7 04-11-2015 10:55:46

Blitzen

Yes - far out. The server is fast and can handle heavy loads. They do not cram as many sites on it as possible, and the BW is more than sufficient. The site implements important proper tags to prevent G from seeing "duplicate" pages and other issues, even for the mobi version. There are online sites to test the load times and the sites are okay.

Our statistician looked at this with the same conclusion.

The site is good with Google. As I said, Google just doesn't launch a new alg without testing, and they generally start testing in USA. They started years ago warning website developers to get up to speed with mobi-friendly sites. They do not sandbox because the website content increases - and the increase was over a few months, not overnight.

Carefully read their announcement - they are "expanding", not "starting". They chose their words carefully.

The traffic decline started in early Feb 2015.
Look here http://moz.com/google-algorithm-change for "Unnamed Update — February 4, 2015"

You will also notice the following update (Pigeon) rolled out to other countries -> G doesn't launch alg changes all at one time to everyone.

The bottom line is that website owners should track more than orders. Monitoring traffic, user devices, referers, and so forth can circumvent detrimental issues. Ensure to understand how to analyze your data. I saw one guy report a drop in traffic and showed the graph over time. Well, the drop was in the noise level and not significant at all (meaning there was no drop in traffic). You need at least a signal-to-noise of 3 to start to be significant, 10 to be certain.

HTH! Happy eCommercing smile

#8 04-13-2015 07:30:51

webmaster
Administrator
Website

So is your theory at the current time that the version 8 software isn't mobile friendly enough for the new algorithm?  That's what I'm reading.  You have come to the conclusion that despite the changes having been made to the site (unfortunately we cannot say all other things are equal), the reduction in traffic is due to Google de-ranking the site based on it's mobile friendliness.  Is this correct?

Are there any other contributing factors?  Reduced ad spends, reduced email communication, items now harder to find on the site, navigation not optimal, search not producing valid results, reduction in indexed pages, etc, etc, etc?

Also, confirm you have applied the 8.0.9 update and have passed the mobile friendliness check (do it again).

Nick Hendler

Board footer