Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 10-15-2014 15:30:16

JayCR48
Website

Product Filter Redundancy

If every item in a category is positive for a filter, I'd like that filter to not even show, since it will not be filtering anything out if it's selected.  It would be simple to remove the filter from the products in that category, but those products may appear in other categories where every product in that category is not positive for that filter and then the ability use that filter will be sacrificed for the desired result in the other category.

We distribute high quality steel auto body panels for use in the rust repair industry.

#2 10-16-2014 08:11:03

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: Product Filter Redundancy

You have a control that allows you to disable the filter on the category level outright in order to handle this scenario.  Look at Store > Catalog > Categories.  Update the category, and in the 'Product Filter' tab, select true for 'Disable Product Filter'.

Nick Hendler

#3 10-16-2014 09:15:37

JayCR48
Website

Yeah, I was hoping to do it a little more dynamically though.  In my case I have 8 different filter slot one options that can help a customer determine if a product is right for the application.  Those 8 filter options are assigned to items that appear in a certain category.  Once the customer drills down to the subcategory, the filters can be especially helpful to narrow down the choices.  However, in one subcategory one filter option is present for every single item in that subcategory.  The other seven options are positive for some and negative for others.  I'd like the seven filter options that are actually relevant to that subcategory to appear as filters for the customer to use.  The filter option that is positive for every single item should disappear because it's no longer relevant.  That's not to say that it might not be relevant tomorrow, if we add a new product that is not positive for that filter option to that subcategory.

If you're selling coloring books and supplies and one of your categories is crayons and your filters are warm colors, cold colors, deep colors and light colors;  (W,C,D,L)  If your items in that category are Yellow (W,L), Red (W,D), and Orange (W,D) you don't need Warm Colors to even show up as a filter option for the customer, since all of those options are Warm Colors and checking that filter option will not be filtering anything out.  Tomorrow you may get a new shipment of Blue (C,D) in that you want to add to the same subcategory.  Now Warm Colors becomes a relevant filter because checking it will make the Blue (C,D) disappear.

When you're dealing with a handful of SKU's it's pretty easy to manipulate things to get your desired result, but over thousands of SKU's it would be nice if redundant filters were hidden.

We distribute high quality steel auto body panels for use in the rust repair industry.

#4 10-17-2014 08:25:52

webmaster
Administrator
Website

I understand.  If the solution provided will not work for you (doesn't sound optimal based on your response), you might want to submit a quote request with the custom shop to modify the filter functions to operate the way you wish.

https://kryptronic.com/Software-Custom-Shop

Nick Hendler

Board footer