Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 03-15-2013 13:42:57

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Considering Dropping Joomla Support - Thoughts?

Hello ClickCartPro and EuropaCart users.  We are seriously considering dropping support for Joomla in our next release due to the lack of backwards compatibility for their external APIs with each new release cycle.

It seems that most users who integrate ClickCartPro and EuropaCart with Joomla later decide to move to a pure Kryptronic software environment and strip Joomla from their sites due to security and speed issues with that platform.  We have just completed a poll of Kryptronic Managed Hosting accounts and have found that less than 1% use the integration.

Prior to dropping support, we would like to gather the community's thoughts for consideration.  Dropping support would clean up a bunch of internal code in ClickCartPro and EuropaCart, and would provide more time for development of new functionality.  The downside for those using Joomla is that they'd be tied to ClickCartPro versions 7.0.0 through 8.0.4 until such time as they removed Joomla from their sites.

Thoughts?

Nick Hendler

#2 03-15-2013 14:09:02

zanart

Re: Considering Dropping Joomla Support - Thoughts?

My site is a lot easier to maintain and alot quicker since I dropped joomla for V8.
For me, not a problem as I wouldn't use Joomla again.

However, the downside is the lack of modules and skins for CCP.

Rob

#3 03-15-2013 14:45:42

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Thanks for the feedback, Rob.  BTW- I should have your custom shop job published tomorrow.  It's been a hell of a week here.  Concerning the extra modules, etc. I think users will be pleasantly surprised at some of the modules we have coming out over the next few months.  Most of the heavy duty mods we've done as custom shop work over the past six months has made it into several new XMODs we'll be releasing at some point this spring.

Nick Hendler

#4 03-15-2013 19:50:59

jamesdan567

What I have come to really like about CCP8 is that its very reliable and has a lot of really cool features that fit well into making very nice presentations on the web. Jettison Joomla and as you have said, you will have more time to work on cool features that help users grow and manage larger online presentations/sales with the same staff.  I do not think CCP8 is properly called shopping cart software anymore. I think you know that too. Its an online store "ecommerce" management system. The shopping cart is just one piece. I dont use Joomla. I dont need a lot of pretty skins or layouts. Neither do my customers... just my two cents...

#5 03-18-2013 09:28:25

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Thanks for the comments so far.  Would appreciate more input from our community.  Please keep the comments coming...

Nick Hendler

#6 03-18-2013 10:16:25

Iceit88
Website

If dropping Joomla allows more time for Mod creation and expansion of CCP capabilities...go for it!

Bryan

Hat Trick Sports, LLC

#7 03-18-2013 11:14:51

mickelb

As it stands, I have pretty much given up on the single sign on. It never worked on our site, possibly because of conflict with other third party Joomla components/modules/plugins, which are more valuable to me than single sign on, or enhanced PHP security settings, again more important to me.

However, I do want to continue to host ClickCart through a linked Joomla site on our server, so keeping the Template, Menu and Skin shares is a must for me. But, I don't want to lose out on future CCP releases, if they have improved functionality.*

I think it would be acceptable for you to state which Joomla Templates are definitley compatible - obviously the core ones package with Joomla and the most popular others, such as JA Purity with T3 framework.

*ps I've a few ideas on ehancements I would lik, so let us all know when you are open for ideas!

#8 03-18-2013 12:45:01

Blitzen

Good call if you concentrate on features such as up-to-date SEO stuff, a user-friendly manual, logging email communications, sending followups for the product review functions, ajax admin so that it's easier to change stuff, etc etc etc.

#9 03-19-2013 08:51:22

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Thanks for the comments.  Please keep them coming...

Nick Hendler

#10 03-19-2013 11:55:19

west4
Website

If dropping Joomla allows more time for Mod creation and expansion of CCP capabilities...go for it!

Sorely lacking in Mods at the moment...so any hurry up is ok by me...dumped Joomla for eurocart v8

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal labotomy.

#11 04-01-2013 14:25:43

alicia

Joomla is pretty important to me in my configurations... as you know Nick :-)
Mine is also pretty customized. and with plans to upgrade it all to 8. whatever  4th quarter... once we really are rocking and rolling.....  So I really would like to know that there would be compatability with Joomla 3 and CCP 8. whatever going forward...
Would I be futher updating from there? Probably not for a long time..... 
So as long as you can get me where I need to be with both....personally I am fine..

I think over all if you look at a stopping point... it should definitely be after the 3. whatever stable comes out.  That will buy I think alot of time on the joomla side.

I still think you have the best joomla solution out there for ecommerce..... the downside of it is.... nobody looking for joomla ecommerce solutions seem to know about it.... I never see it mentioned when solutions are asked for, unless I throw it out there... 

Alicia

#12 04-01-2013 17:44:03

Casimiro
Website

I don't use Joomla but if those who do are an exception, then I would vote for treating it as such and concentrating on other development.

#13 04-02-2013 10:40:07

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Thanks for the comments.  Assuming the external APIs don't change from versions 2.5 to 3, CCP 8.0 will support Joomla 3 just fine.  We're looking at dropping support starting with CCP 8.1.

Nick Hendler

#14 12-19-2013 13:28:16

kgillespie
Website

I agree that Joomla is not a good way to get the skin to work for sites. It would be great though if there was some kind of skin designs and layouts to choose from to be purchased to go with the cart. I do however think the future lies in WordPress for a lot of people and sites in general and would love to see an integration with Wordpress for the clickcart software.

#15 06-18-2014 06:31:17

Panmanjon
Website

I tried using Joomla and didn't do so well - concepts are great but it really was difficult to use so I would say drop it and concentrate on the great core functions of eurocart and the us version

#16 06-23-2014 13:13:11

webmaster
Administrator
Website

It's been scheduled to be dropped in the next major release.  We're seeing big benefits from switching Joomla users to Wordress, for those that want that type of functionality.

Nick Hendler

Board footer