Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 08-23-2012 04:38:46

ashley

Tables are still used throughout?

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that in V8 the layouts would be tableless, however tables are still used in many places for layout - something that really shouldn't be done in 2012.

I know they can be removed, but it's a bit of a pain to go through and change it to a pure div-based layout. The skin is much better and tables are used far less, but completely removing them would be a massive improvement.

With HTML5 rapidly becoming more and more popular, a HTML5 skin would've been nice too.

Last edited by ashley (08-23-2012 04:39:39)

#2 08-23-2012 06:35:46

Dave

Re: Tables are still used throughout?

Why oh why do people think tables are bad? Sure things could be done without them but there's really no reason to. They make no difference in the information presented.  HTML5 will likely become the norm in 2-5 years. It's on the early side of early adoption, far from being mainstream.

#3 08-23-2012 06:55:26

ashley

Dave wrote:

Why oh why do people think tables are bad? Sure things could be done without them but there's really no reason to. They make no difference in the information presented.  HTML5 will likely become the norm in 2-5 years. It's on the early side of early adoption, far from being mainstream.

Tables are bad, very bad, for layouts. They belong in the 1990s and it's very widely regarded as a poor approach to web design.

http://webdesign.about.com/od/layout/a/aa111102a.htm
http://wplancer.com/why-you-shouldnt-us … b-layouts/

Plenty of reasons why they are a terrible idea in those two articles. There's a reason why, in the majority of places on the web, tables are frowned upon.

Regarding HTML5, I wasn't suggesting the main skin be HTML5 - but as an option would've been nice.

Last edited by ashley (08-23-2012 06:56:20)

#4 08-23-2012 07:58:15

webmaster
Administrator
Website

You're only half right, ashley.  Tables are bad for things that shouldn't be done in tables, but are perfectly acceptable for things that should be done in tables.  In v8, the layouts are pure positioned CSS, but the internals use tables for items which should use them, or which need to.

Some browsers have terrible issues (IE9 comes to mind) with layout out tabular data in positioned divs.  A lot of the internal displays use tables, but only where they really should do this, or where bad browsers like IE need tables to display correctly.

Nick Hendler

Board footer