Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 08-11-2012 08:21:59

Shopper

V8 beside V7 during configuration

Hi,

we just made the pre-order for version 8 europacart.
Is it possible to install V8 beside a running V7 installation to first configure the new shop and then, when everything is perfect, shwitch over to the new one?

#2 08-11-2012 16:13:05

jj1987
Website

Re: V8 beside V7 during configuration

Shopper wrote:

Hi,

we just made the pre-order for version 8 europacart.
Is it possible to install V8 beside a running V7 installation to first configure the new shop and then, when everything is perfect, shwitch over to the new one?

That was possible with v5/6 and v6/7, so yes,I would say it's safe to assume that.

-James Garrett

#3 08-13-2012 06:31:55

webmaster
Administrator
Website

The upgrade is designed to be done as an update to your v7 install rather than a fresh install with a data import, so if you want to install v8 and run it alongside v7, the best way to do this is to:

(1) Send a request to the custom shop with your v7 license and the order number for your v8 upgrade asking for a v7 devel license for upgrade purposes.

(2) Copy your v7 codebase to a new area and copy your database to a new database, then in your new install of v7 (copy of your existing site), edit the private config.php file, changing the license key to the dev key the custom shop gives you, and changing your database info to the new db info you set up.

(3) Run the upgrade on your devel copy.

Nick Hendler

#4 08-14-2012 17:30:41

Shopper

Thank you.

#5 08-21-2012 10:08:37

Dave4Showcases

EDIT 2:  The clean install worked just fine using the devel key, maybe it was the cartmod causing the problem, maybe not.  Leaving the orginal post below just in case someone else has a similar issue.

I am going to be doing this as well, and have already secured my devel license but I'm having a problem that I was wondering if anyone could help me with.  In anticipation of getting the upgrade I have been working on getting my copy of V7 up and running.  I am under the impression that I can run it on the same server as my production environment.

I copied the public and private folders into a new folder on my site.  I also dumped my database and restored it to a new one.  I changed the permissions to 777 on the newly made folders, updated the config file with the dev license and database info then ran the installer.  I updated all the paths but did not overwrite any of the data (closing the installer out when I got to step 13 about the database per the many instructions found around this site and in the software wiki).

Everything looks good at first glance, the homepage (index.php) shows up fine.  I am able to log in to the admin and everything from the database is there, but none of my site links work at all.  The paths are correct, but I get a page not found error when I click any of them.

I have deleted and reinstalled the store using the dev key 3 times now.  Once as described above, then again in a newly created sub domain, then a final time in the same location as the original install (with different folder names for public and private).  Each time I get the same results.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have an idea of what I may be doing wrong that is causing this?  Is my understanding that this can be done on the same server as the production shop correct, or must this be done locally?  Could this be a permission or ownership issue (and if so anyone know a way to fix it)?

EDIT:  After reading the update thread it looks like I will need to do a clean install of V7 anyway due to my use of the cartmod product filter.  Maybe that is related to my issues with the dev key?  I'll see if I can get that working first.

Last edited by Dave4Showcases (08-21-2012 13:07:42)

#6 08-22-2012 07:33:23

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Your links on the devel side don't work because you have SEO turned on and have not edited your .htaccess file to put in rules for the dev site.

Nick Hendler

Board footer