Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 10-06-2011 08:57:43

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Issues with Extreme SEO plus Other CartMod Modules

Hello.  This past week I have had the *pleasure* of debugging various issues with ClickCartPro and EuropaCart installations with Extreme SEO and various other CartMod modules installed which were causing problems with core Kryptronic software functionality.

What I have seen in these corrupted installations is the following:

(1) System debugger is loaded with PHP errors and warnings related to improper coding of the modules, particularly in the way that they override core classes - using much less than perfect syntax.

(2) FrontEnd functionality of some modules does not appear to be working at all, and JavaScript errors and conflicts are evident when running the modules outright, and especially when running debugging tools like FireBug for FireFox.

(3) The modules are manually installed by Stephen Madison, and overwrite core files, and use raw SQL commands, which is not the proper way to install a module into our software - and causes issues in deactivating the modules.  The installation of PHP classes via the filesystem into the core which override inherent functionality makes deactivation nearly impossible without a full restore of the system to a pre-install state.

Stephen has been notified of these issues, and may be working on fixing the issues.  He has also been given the opportunity to distribute these modules using the Kryptronic module packaging system and central server to make sure they are fully tested against the entirety of our code and work in a proper fashion.  Resolution status for these issues is currently unavailable.

Buyer beware.

Nick Hendler

#2 10-06-2011 09:29:10

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: Issues with Extreme SEO plus Other CartMod Modules

As a follow up, some of these modules will be made obsolete with the introduction of ClickCartPro 8 and EuropaCart 8.  Please read this post for more info:

https://forum.kryptronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=29278

Nick Hendler

#3 10-06-2011 14:46:40

vbsaltydog
Website

webmaster wrote:

Hello.  This past week I have had the *pleasure* of debugging various issues with ClickCartPro and EuropaCart installations with Extreme SEO and various other CartMod modules installed which were causing problems with core Kryptronic software functionality.

What I have seen in these corrupted installations is the following:

(1) System debugger is loaded with PHP errors and warnings related to improper coding of the modules, particularly in the way that they override core classes - using much less than perfect syntax.

The Kryptronic debugger not liking the way that my modules override CCP classes does not make the overrides bad. It simply means that it is a different logic than CCP uses.

These class overrides follow the best practices in PHP for overriding a class function without editing the parent class file.

The overrides are designed specifically so that my modules do not alter any CCP core files, thus not impacting CCP upgrades.

These overrides are designed so that my modules can be easily added and/or removed by simply dropping the module files into the appropriate directories and deleting them if desired, leaving the CCP software untouched.

These overrides were designed to solve on of the largest shortcomings of CCP, the inability to modify CCP because a CCP upgrade would overwrite any modifications, making CCP extremely inflexible. My modular XMOD system with class overrides solves this problem, making CCP limitless in extensibility while maintaining a solid upgrade path.

The CCP debugger complaining about my class override system is  a problem with the CCP debugger vs. a problem with my overrides system as using class overrides is a standard PHP practice.

webmaster wrote:

(2) FrontEnd functionality of some modules does not appear to be working at all, and JavaScript errors and conflicts are evident when running the modules outright, and especially when running debugging tools like FireBug for FireFox.

There were a few bugs in early versions of the Product Filter and Single Page Checkout XMODS. Those issues have been debugged in the new versions. I have implemented the noconflict function of jQuery in my mods so that there are no conflicts with any other javascript libraries in use.

webmaster wrote:

(3) The modules are manually installed by Stephen Madison, and overwrite core files, and use raw SQL commands, which is not the proper way to install a module into our software - and causes issues in deactivating the modules.  The installation of PHP classes via the filesystem into the core which override inherent functionality makes deactivation nearly impossible without a full restore of the system to a pre-install state.

My modules do not overwrite core files. In fact, my modules are the only ones available at this time, that I am aware of, that do not overwrite core files. My modules use my own files, separate from CCP core files, to override the CCP functions that I need to modify without editing or overwriting core files. This makes installation, execution,  and removal as easy as adding or deleting my files without ever touching CCP core files.

While my modules do not use your module system, they are every bit as effective and safe to use. My modules have had a few bugs to work out but they are worked out. CCP has bugs too.

webmaster wrote:

Stephen has been notified of these issues, and may be working on fixing the issues.  He has also been given the opportunity to distribute these modules using the Kryptronic module packaging system and central server to make sure they are fully tested against the entirety of our code and work in a proper fashion.  Resolution status for these issues is currently unavailable.

Buyer beware.

I hope that my notes here have put my customers at ease after this "buyer beware" notice.

All that Nick has said here is that my modules do not work the same way as his modules.

There is no risk to your CCP installation by installing my modules. I fully support my modules before and after the sale and they are in use on many sites, providing advanced functionality with no errors.

Latest CCP 7 XMods Available:

#4 10-06-2011 17:53:34

lgt
Website

Stephen is one only two to really give forum support and has done wonders in software support.  I am shocked that this would be posted considered all the hard work that he has put forth.

I believe this conversation should have been held in a place other than this forum.

For years people have begged and screamed for single page checkout.  I was one of those begging for guest checkout in CCP6 that the Big K staff turned a deaf ear on.

The Extreme SEO works wonders and is incredibly easier than HD SEO.  He took initiative to make CCP7 ( and CCP6 and CC5) better.

Now, FedEx is no longer functioning and hasn't for some time. 

I hope whatever differences you two have gets worked out because I am going to upgrade to CCP8 and I am going to hire Stephen to Mod it for me.

Now kiss and make up and get busy making great programs so I can make money.

#5 10-07-2011 17:14:31

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Stephen-

(1) There are syntax errors in your code which are flooding the debugger with errors.  They should be fixed.

(2) You modules may not be overwriting core files, but are overwriting includes, which in turn is breaking upgrade/update paths for mutual clients.

(3) If you find a bug, you need to release an update for it and install fixes for clients.

Perhaps sending all CartMod module users updates, or at least letting them know not to flood the Kryptronic ticket system with requests to debug and fix CartMod modules would be a wise move.

Nick Hendler

#6 10-07-2011 18:51:29

vbsaltydog
Website

webmaster wrote:

(1) There are syntax errors in your code which are flooding the debugger with errors.  They should be fixed.

No problem. I will look through the Kryptronic debugger and resolve any syntax errors.

webmaster wrote:

(2) You modules may not be overwriting core files, but are overwriting includes, which in turn is breaking upgrade/update paths for mutual clients.

Some includes MUST be changed in order to provide extended functionality. This should not adversely impact upgrading CCP. At worst, a CCP upgrade would break the Cartmod module and require that I replace the includes that were overwritten by the CCP upgrade.

Ensuring that my modules do not break the CCP upgrade path is a priority in my development.

webmaster wrote:

(3) If you find a bug, you need to release an update for it and install fixes for clients.

Perhaps sending all CartMod module users updates, or at least letting them know not to flood the Kryptronic ticket system with requests to debug and fix CartMod modules would be a wise move.

I can do that but lets not overstate the situation. I only know of a few minor bugs with Cartmod modules.

(1) The Single Page Checkout XMOD was conflicting with your Shipworks XMOD. I have patched it to resolve this.

(2) The Product Filter XMOD was conflicting with the Single Page Checkout XMOD because they both used jQuery. I have patched this using the jQuery noconflict function in all of my jQuery based XMODs.

(3) There was a price rounding issue with the Product Filter XMOD because I had changed the CCP price fields from varchar to integer so I could filter by price. This was resolved by changing the price fields from integer to DECIMAL(10,2)

This was only a bug because CCP uses varchar for the prices. Prices should really be set using numerical values so they can be calculated as numbers. I'm not calling it a bug in CCP but .... maybe they will be numerical in v8 ?

I have not received any emails or calls from you or your staff in regard to debugging any of my software. If you get a support ticket request and you think it is related to ANY of my modules then feel free to forward the support ticket to me and I will be happy to look into it.

#7 11-01-2011 21:12:15

jason

webmaster wrote:

This made me laugh for quite a while. Considering that every single clickcart package released has had many many bugs that havent been fixed, unless of course you submit a support ticket and pay for them to be fixed. Aside from the few updates that have been released free of charge which have fixed (I presume) only the bugs you wanted to address or knew about.

This argument should have remained private and out of reach of all forum members.

Btw...how is the dispute going on with regards to greenbarn web and all the stuff that was thrown around this forum a wee while ago?

Anyway I digress....back to my moan

Support for shared ssl was broken in ccp6...broken?...never even worked to be honest...and it cost me £180 to get fixed.

For what its worth...

If you (The supplier of something) make something for me (the customer)...and it is broken...and you (the supplier) know it is and also know how to fix it. that is exactly what you should do for me (the customer)....fix it!...especially if someone like me  (the customer) has parted with their hard earned dollars/pounds/francs/etc,etc and bought of you (the supplier) in the first instance.

Many thanks...

#8 11-02-2011 15:22:19

JayCR48
Website

Nick, Stephen seems pretty smart and obviously interested.  Why not consider making him part of the team?

We distribute high quality steel auto body panels for use in the rust repair industry.

#9 11-02-2011 17:26:09

vbsaltydog
Website

I have declined offers to be a member of Kryptronic officially because I wish to maintain a separate business identity with my own products, services, customers, etc.

#10 11-03-2011 12:03:23

salesdesk

As Steve said, we have talked about this...but couldn't really come to an agreement.  Steve is a great source for this forum and does a great job supporting our stuff as his own entity.  We're certainly glad to have him around.

#11 12-22-2011 02:36:15

v8power
Website

How will the upgrade to version 7.1.4 affect the Extreme SEO mod?

#12 12-22-2011 03:12:35

vbsaltydog
Website

There is nothing in the 7.1.4 change log to suggest ANY conflict with the Extreme SEO XMOD.

#13 12-22-2011 14:16:16

kev

How will the upgrade to version 7.1.4 affect the Product Filter XMOD ?

#14 12-22-2011 14:17:16

kev

Or Product Reviews XMOD ?

#15 12-23-2011 00:09:38

vbsaltydog
Website

My XMODS are designed to be compatible with CCP updates so there shouldn't be any CCP upgrade/Cartmod XMOD compatibility issues unless there are MAJOR structural changes to the CCP software and I have not seen any such changes listed in the latest CCP update change log.

If you have ANY issues with Cartmod XMODs after the CCP upgrade, I am here to support my XMODs.

#16 12-23-2011 00:12:09

vbsaltydog
Website

Always backup your files and database before updating. This is a golden rule of software management.

#17 12-23-2011 11:36:46

JDLS88
Website

Well this was pretty much the opposite of the correct way to handle something like this...

wow...

Jeremy D.

#18 02-16-2012 14:14:53

JayCR48
Website

I lost my one page checkout after installing 7.1.4.  It may have been something I did wrong.  I'm just not sure.

We distribute high quality steel auto body panels for use in the rust repair industry.

#19 02-20-2012 00:34:40

vbsaltydog
Website

It looks like the database was altered by the upgrade and that broke the XMOD. I am helping anyone that had upgrade issues and I am working on methods to prevent this on future upgrades.

Thank you,

-Stephen

#20 02-20-2012 15:54:54

JayCR48
Website

My one page checkout was fixed very quickly after I lost it.  Stephen has a very good grasp on what is going on with the coding of Click Cart Pro.  I don't know if Kryptronic cares if they cause him headaches, but I doubt that there's going to arise any kind of issue that he can't handle.  I'm a repeat customer and I'm looking forward to any new ideas Stephen may have.  Don't misinterpret my comment above to mean that there's anything wrong with any of the XMODs sold on cartmod.com or that I'm complaining about the product at all.

#21 05-21-2012 15:53:17

jonaha

I have been using ccp from the time if first came out . Stephen has been doing work for me for nearly that long and has done an incredible job. He has supported various mods for me way beyond the time he needed to. I trust his work completely and would not hesitate for one minuet to let him do work for me. I have no doubt that if you need a fix he will do it for you.

http://www.nationalfurnishing.com/splash

Last edited by jonaha (05-21-2012 16:17:09)

Board footer