Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 07-02-2011 16:11:37

Casimiro
Website

Trying to select a different Display Skin for a Category

Hello.

My understanding is that if I select a Display Skin for a specific Category, the design (css, skin, etc) should change accordingly. However, regardless of the alternate Display Skin that I chose, the Category defaults to my main display skin.

I even tried reinstalling the standard ClickCartPro skins and selecting them but still nothing.

What could be causing this?

#2 07-04-2011 05:31:55

ZipSkins
Website

Re: Trying to select a different Display Skin for a Category

It should work as you say, but can you give an example of a category on your site that uses the alternative skin?

Your site does use a couple of CSS files which are not contained within the skin - this may have an impact, depending on what is contained in those CSS files. Looking quickly, I don't think this is a problem in your case, but it would be interesting to see the category affected.

Nigel

| Professional Quality Customisable Skins for your ClickCartPro Powered Site

-----------------------------
Certified Support Partner

#3 07-04-2011 10:08:38

dh783
Website

I don't think that's it's a problem with what he doing as I have been unable to get a category to us a different skin, I have also not had the time to look into the problem as of this time.

John

#4 07-05-2011 04:21:28

ZipSkins
Website

Cas, John,

It does work correctly, but you seem to have to select the skin in several different locations.

Set the default skin for all pages (except the particular category in question) in:-

1. System Dashboard > System > Component > Settings > Global Settings
2. System Dashboard > System > Component > Profile
3. System Dashboard > Website > Component > Profile
4. System Dashboard > Store > Component > Profile

Set the exception category (the one where a different skin is required) in:-

5. System Dashboard > Store > Catalog > Categories

I have just done this on my development environment, and it is working as intended.

If you only use one skin throughout the site, then it is generally sufficient to just select the skin in item 1. above (Global Settings), but if you want to override that for individual categories, then the skins need to be specified in the various component profiles.

Nigel

Last edited by ZipSkins (07-05-2011 04:22:00)

#5 07-05-2011 09:50:45

Casimiro
Website

Hello Nigel,

Thanks for your input.

Regarding steps 1 through 4:  I have a modified skin selected under "Display Skin Override" and I set "Component Default Status*" to True but I noticed that the system does not keep the change to "True". When I navigate back to any of these components, the "Component Default Status*" is False.  Could this be an issue?

In any case, here is the category I am testing: http://www.brenditasbodyworks.com/shop/ … ebook.html

As a skin, I selected the Default ClickCartPro but it picks up the skin that I specified in 1 to 4.

#6 07-05-2011 18:00:05

dh783
Website

It looks like I had or have a problem with the test directory that I tried testing it with so I will have to look into why my test did not work, it worked on my standard directory tho.

John

#7 07-06-2011 03:56:43

ZipSkins
Website

Cas,

I have not amended the 'Component Default Status' (at least, not that I can remember!), but I would imagine that only one of them can be set to 'True'. This is the case with my development environment - only the Website has this set to 'True'. I don't think this has any direct relevance to the skin.

Regarding the alternative skin for the hair care products, as far as I can tell from the source code, the skin CSS file for this page is skins/Default_Home-Page/css/all.css - so that the skin folder is called "Default_Home-Page". (The actual name of the skin in the manage display skins area of the admin module may be different.) I presume that Default_Home-Page is the main skin used throughout the rest of your site, as the default CCP skin supplied with the shop software seems to be called 'Default'.

However, when I checked the home page, this is using the same CSS file (i.e. Default_Home-Page), so for some reason the programming for the Hair Care page is not picking up the specified alternative skin, but I cannot see why that should happen simply by looking at the source code. Using Firebug, I can test the page using a folder called 'Default' (instead of 'Default_Home-Page'), and the page does look different (the background is basically beige), but there do seem to be some issues with the layout using that skin. However, it does work; but this doesn't answer why the Hair Care page doesn't use the specified skin.

Nigel

#8 07-06-2011 18:34:10

Casimiro
Website

Thanks again.

This is very interesting.  I just figured out that the I can successfully select a different skin for a webpage (System Dashboard > Website > Content > Webpages).  Example: http://www.brenditasbodyworks.com/shop/ … -skin.html

So how can it work for a page but not for a category nor for a product?

#9 07-07-2011 03:26:24

ZipSkins
Website

That's the 64 million dollar question (as we Brits say)!

What changes (if any ) have been made to the CCP program files on your installation? If there have been any changes, I would probably start by looking at those to see if they might have had an impact on the ability to select an alternative skin.

Nigel

Board footer