Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

• Index
  •  » ClickCartPro 6
  •  » Custom emails aren't sent after setting email relay to 'authenticated'

#1 03-23-2011 06:51:07

RobH

Custom emails aren't sent after setting email relay to 'authenticated'

Hi guys.

Bit of a problem, some cretins decided to use my mail server as an open relay host a couple of days ago and I've had to change the setup to only send email from authenticated users. My email is generally working fine (SMTP on a Windows server box) but I had some custom work done to generate notification emails when orders are despatched. Invoices are uploaded from my business system to CCP and trigger a cart generated email to the customer.

Since setting authentication up the auto generated emails don't appear to be being sent. I've tried editing config.php, khxc.mail_user and pass with a valid email account and password but this doesn't work :-\

Any thoughts how I can work around this??

Yours hopefully,

RobH!

Oh, I should also add that I can use the 'send mail message' option to send cart mails to valid customer email addresses but not to external email addresses that are not existing customers...

Last edited by RobH (03-23-2011 06:53:40)

#2 03-23-2011 10:33:25

Cww2

Re: Custom emails aren't sent after setting email relay to 'authenticated'

This will not help you but we are also getting some authorized.net emails notices and some not.  We have made no changes but our orders go into authorize.net but we get no notice of the pending order UNLESS we go in to look for the order so if anyone posts to you I would love to know what the deal is.

#3 03-23-2011 11:06:01

larry

Cww2 wrote:

This will not help you but we are also getting some authorized.net emails notices and some not.  We have made no changes but our orders go into authorize.net but we get no notice of the pending order UNLESS we go in to look for the order so if anyone posts to you I would love to know what the deal is.

Authorize.net has been having trouble with their mail servers for MONTHS - at least since last December.  I've given up trying to get them to "fix" the problem.  It took them 4 weeks to answer my open ticket, and even then they said it was an "external server" that was blocking emails.  BTW - it is still not "fixed".   Now I have two email addresses (with different domains)  at my authorize.net account to receive notices.  Sometimes I get one email, sometimes two, but at least I get a notice.   I know it has nothing to do with CCP.

Laurie Stephens

#4 03-23-2011 11:34:53

Cww2

Thanks for the update.

Chris

#5 03-27-2011 10:50:28

RobH

I'm sure there must be somewhere to enter username and password credentials to allow CCP to send customer order confirmations on a mail server requiring authentication?? Otherwise the only way that this function can work is by using an unsecure open relay SMTP server.

Any suggestions please??
Cheers
H

#6 03-27-2011 10:58:19

Dave

Credentials for a mail server are entered using the installer. You may safely run the installer without altering anything up to and through the step where the credentials are entered.

#7 03-27-2011 11:10:56

RobH

Hi Dave, thanks. I was actually in the middle of running the installer again. I do remember having a problem with this when I first set it up. I had to change the config of the mail server (matrix mail - yuk!) to enable open relay for local domains as open relay for authenticated users did not work, kept getting an error when entering a user and pass during install. Problem is I can't leave it like this as it allows spoofers to send spam from my mail server...
I think there may be an issue with the authentication process on the mail server which is obviously not a CCP issue.

I've been trying to set up Windows own SMTP server to replace the Matrix junk pile but auth doesn't seem to be working on that either :-\
Thanks for your time.
H

#8 03-27-2011 11:49:52

Dave

Some SMTP servers use a separate/different port for authentication rather than the default port 25. Some may also require a secure, SSL, connection. The installer offers options to change both of those should you need to.

#9 03-27-2011 14:15:15

RobH

Unfortunately neither of these scenarios applies, I can confirm the AUTH is on port 25 by using Telnet. SSL isn't required when connecting using Outlook to send mail.
Does the installer expect a specific reply from the mailserver during install and will it fail if it's not as expected?? This is the message I get:

[SMTP: SMTP server does no support authentication (code: 250, response: 'myservername' AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 SIZE 10485760)]

Thanks
H

#10 03-27-2011 14:37:56

Dave

Of course it expects a valid, read good, response from an authorization attempt. The message you posted pretty much sums up the issue, though you may believe the SMTP server is configured for authentication it does not actually appear to be (or the authentication is done on a separate port). Using telnet to port 25 doesn't give you the entire picture.

#11 03-27-2011 14:58:33

RobH

Ok, thanks, I'll do some more investigating....

#12 03-30-2011 06:47:43

RobH

Ok, on port 25 I can login to authenticate on the SMTP server if I enter base64 encrypted user/pass using Telnet. If I don't authenticate or I try to use non base64 text I get a 'bad recipient' error. I can send and receive authenticated emails from Outlook no problem. If I turn authentication off, so relaying from local domains is allowed without auth, then the install script will successfully complete.

If I complete the install with relaying from local domains enabled (no auth) and then turn auth on, any CCP generated emails are blocked with a 'Bad recipient' entry in the SMTP log.

There are no other ports open for authentication, as mentioned auth does work from both Outlook and Telnet on port 25 so must be on port 25.

Is there any information available about how CCP communicates with the SMTP server? What sort of authentication it is expecting and whether/where this can be changed?

It seems to me that this should be working but simply isn't.

If anyone has any further ideas or observations they would be most welcome.

Cheers
H

#13 04-01-2011 20:43:10

Marge80

Credentials for a mail server are entered using the installer. You may safely run the installer without altering anything up to and through the step where the credentials are entered.

#14 04-02-2011 05:20:00

RobH

Thanks for the reply. I've had to work around the problem. It appears that my (Matrix) SMTP server doesn't like the way that CCP supplies authorisation credentials, I've proved this by using Microsoft's built in SMTP server, authorisation works just fine. As a workaround I've now got the MS SMTP server running on a different port purely to send mail from CCP and my Matrix SMTP server handling the rest of my authed mail. I would prefer just to use the MS server for everything but I'm unable to get relaying working for some reason (perhaps the same reason I was having problems in the first place). The MS server is setup only to allow mail from the local IP hence preventing open relay.

Seems to be working ok for now...
Cheers
H

• Index
  •  » ClickCartPro 6
  •  » Custom emails aren't sent after setting email relay to 'authenticated'

Board footer