Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 03-02-2011 17:14:16

lucas.shoesmith

Is there a way to automatically clear the shopping cart on logout?

If a user logs out, is there a way to automatically clear their shopping cart?

#2 03-02-2011 17:20:33

Dave

Re: Is there a way to automatically clear the shopping cart on logout?

Silly question but why in the world would you want to do that? If I've been shopping and can't complete a transaction I'd sure like to be able to come back and finish the purchase later ... something you can do on just about every shopping site on the planet.

#3 03-02-2011 17:23:39

lucas.shoesmith

if I was on a public computer, and logged in, and filled my shopping cart, then logged out,
then the public computer would retain the shopping cart information for any other user that happened to come by.

I'm ok with keeping the same shopping cart for the user when they log in again, but I worry about shared locations and the guest user.

Last edited by lucas.shoesmith (03-02-2011 17:25:29)

#4 03-02-2011 18:25:48

Dave

There's a big difference between a logged in user and a guest.  A guest won't be logged in and if they choose to leave things in the cart on a public computer shame on them (though it really doesn't hurt anything since there's no sensitive data involved).

If you logged in on a public computer, added things to your cart then logged off there wouldn't/shouldn't be anything in the cart when the next person comes by. The e-mail address MAY still be there but without the password the next person won't be able to do anything.

I guess I'm failing to understand what the issue/problem is that you're trying to correct.  To answer your original question, a modification could be made to empty the cart on log out.

#5 03-02-2011 19:21:28

vbsaltydog
Website

I agree that the cart doesn't hold any info that is sensitive in the least so there is no reason to clear it.

If its that big of a deal then set the cookie to expire when the browser window is closed.

Latest CCP 7 XMods Available:

#6 03-04-2011 03:41:06

alexsmth114

(There's a big difference between a logged in user and a guest.  A guest won't be logged in and if they choose to leave things in the cart on a public computer shame on them (though it really doesn't hurt anything since there's no sensitive data involved).

If you logged in on a public computer, added things to your cart then logged off there wouldn't/shouldn't be anything in the cart when the next person comes by. The e-mail address MAY still be there but without the password the next person won't be able to do anything.

I guess I'm failing to understand what the issue/problem is that you're trying to correct.  To answer your original question, a modification could be made to empty the cart on log out.) Well said bro, I agree with you!!..

#7 03-04-2011 11:39:07

lucas.shoesmith

My store has dealings with children, and child data is protected by a wealth of laws.  The law is pretty stringent, so I'm trying to err on the side of caution.

The operation goes as follows -
Guest visits store.  Adds an item to the cart.
Logs in.  Cart retains item from the guest.
Logs out.  Cart retains item from the logged in user
Guest visits the store.  The cart retains the item.

I can't have any information at all about a child available to anyone else.  It's a serious target for pedophiles to do whats called 'grooming', by giving children gifts.  My program, and hence the store, will be available in public places, so I need to make sure that the software is adequately secured.

My optimal operation looks as follows

The operation goes as follows -
Guest visits store.  Adds an item to the cart.
Logs in.  Cart retains item from the guest.
Logs out.  Cart clears.
Guest visits the store.  The cart has no items.

#8 03-04-2011 12:46:06

Dave

I still maintain that even with your outline there is nothing that could be harmful by leaving something in the cart. Especially since it couldn't possibly by tied to or related to a person (child or otherwise).

Logging out is handled by the logout_proc function in accounts.php which you'll find in the
{private}/core/CORE_FrontEnd/ext directory.

#9 03-04-2011 15:21:13

vbsaltydog
Website

If you need a custom solution then contact me via PM or email or the Kryptronic Custom Shop for a quote.

Latest CCP 7 XMods Available:

Board footer