Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 02-17-2011 17:12:32

Design_Wholesale
Website

On pconnect Versus connect...

Just a quick note for anyone deciding to use  in place of  for the database displays (: product displays on the splash page)...

with...

Code:

mysql_free_result($result);

mysql_close($result);

...underneath the  statement would seem to be the better solution.

I was using  (lots of MySQL activity in the store, so logically better to keep connections open, or persistant, rather than opening and closing them all the time) ...and whilst everything was fast and fine for Firefox the same could not be said of Internet Explorer, which practically died everytime it tried to open a browser session on our site.

#2 02-18-2011 06:39:36

Dave

Re: On pconnect Versus connect...

There is absolutely no way a particular browser could have any affect on the type of connection being made on the server John. MySQL doesn't know or care about the browser and doesn't even know there is one there (there may not be).

#3 02-18-2011 18:43:36

Design_Wholesale
Website

I know, but there is absolutely no doubt that Internet Explorer on our machine started to load our site allot faster after I dropped pconnect, quite aside from a very definite jump in orders from people using Internet Explorer as their browser, - go figure, - makes no sense to me, either, but it was definitely dropping pconnect that made the difference.

My thinking is that it was more the way the browser handles the data. - If IE was requesting the data in a certain way that caused excessive load problems with pconnect in place then that would explain the situation. - It would have absolutely nothing to do with MySQL having a problem with IE, simply that IE was living up to its reputation as being a problematic browser ['though, personally, I find it (usually) to be considerably faster than Firefox].

Last edited by Design_Wholesale (02-18-2011 18:47:17)

#4 02-19-2011 07:20:23

Dave

IE and browsers don't request data unless you're using Ajax to interact with PHP. HTTP connections are stateless. The browser asks for a page and the server delivers it whether or not there's actually a browser on the other end. The server doesn't know or care what's on the other end at all. Chances are very good that something else happened to change at the same time to make it seem like that was related. I assure you it wasn't.

#5 02-19-2011 14:02:42

Design_Wholesale
Website

Okay, thanks. - In that case I will add it to my notes to take a closer look at, because something else definitely changed (one minute most session attempts were failing, the next 90% fine - but only with Internet Explorer).

Board footer