Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 01-14-2011 09:13:44

chinapres

Server Migration

I am moving my entire CCP6 website to a new server. Everything has copied over and I have tested the front end and everything works fine. I am aware that if I try and login to the admin section on the new server it will detect a duplicate installation and lock me out (of both sites). I really want to test the back end is fully working before I transfer my domain name over and delete the entire site from the old server. I emailed Kryptronic for a development licence key but they did not reply. Perhaps they do not issue development licence keys for CCP6 anymore? Is there another way I can test the admin section on the new server?

Regards,
Gary.

#2 01-15-2011 00:09:27

Design_Wholesale
Website

Re: Server Migration

Do you have root access to your account? - If so, you could try redirecting kryptronic.com server lookups to localhost (127.0.0.1).  That should work, but it depends on whether the code has been written to allow access on failed lookup and whether the code is expecting something specific in the way of an acknowledgement from the other server.

If you want to modify the code you will find that  calls on  which, in turn, calls on the various GBU/CCP requirements through GBU or .

Otherwise, maybe simpler, temporarily stop MySQL, Bind, and Apache (or their equivalents, and with the database server first) on your existing server at some time in the small hours of the morning and test it then (with the above three stopped you should not have a lock-out problem, because a check for existing setup will return false).

Last edited by Design_Wholesale (01-15-2011 00:13:21)

#3 01-15-2011 06:09:43

chinapres

Many thanks for your reply. Just one more question. The migration company have reduced the TTL time on my domain to 15 minutes so they can transfer the domain from my old server to the new server with minimum downtime. What I plan to do is transfer the domain name, stop MySQL, Bind, and Apache on old server as suggested above. As soon as domain works on new server (hopefully 15 minutes) then access the admin section of my site on new server. Please can you confirm that this will definitely work in terms of the domain name transfer or will the Kryptronic central server need longer than 15 minutes if the domain name transfer has not updated on their server yet.

#4 01-18-2011 13:43:08

Design_Wholesale
Website

No problem.  The Kryptronic server should not be a problem, either.  What is more likely to be a problem is DNS propagation. - You really need to make sure that the IP addresses for your new setup have propagated, if nothing else; otherwise you will have a time when your domain name won't be resolving because the nameservers have not yet had chance to match the new underlying IP address(es) for your domain to the domain name.

What might be a good idea, on the DNS side of things, is to add in the IP addresses for your new site to the DNS zone file for your domain on both servers and to then let the changes propagate before changing your site over, but I would speak to your new host first because getting that right can be a pain at the best of times. - Done properly, though, it will work, and you will also need to remove the old server IP address(es) once it is done.

Also, don't forget to get your new webhost to set up rDNS for your domain name (it is highly recommended if you don't want other people's mailservers regarding email from your server as junk email or spam or simply refusing to accept email from your domain) and you will require at least two IP addresses. - Multiple IP addresses are not usually required, but are essential if you are using SSL, as SSL encrypted sessions cannot share an IP address with unencrypted traffic.

Last edited by Design_Wholesale (01-18-2011 13:48:52)

#5 01-18-2011 13:59:12

Dave

Design_Wholesale wrote:

Multiple IP addresses are not usually required, but are essential if you are using SSL, as SSL encrypted sessions cannot share an IP address with unencrypted traffic.

Where did you hear something like that? The only requirement for SSL Is that it have a specific address. It's certainly feasible, and very normal, to flow all traffic through a single IP. The PORT being used is different but not the address.

#6 01-18-2011 14:16:55

Design_Wholesale
Website

I was told that when trying to work out our requirements for our current hosting. - They told us that I did not need a second IP address unless I was using SSL.  I know, too, from configuring HTTP servers (Apache and Lightpd) that you won't get HTTPS working with only the one IP address (unless that is just some issue with the software, perhaps?).

#7 01-18-2011 14:20:43

Dave

Gosh, better not tell one of the largest hosting providers that it won't work smile  Just wondering where you heard such a thing. Heck even in my development environment I have both running on the same IP and multiple instances (domains) too.

#8 01-18-2011 14:25:28

Design_Wholesale
Website

Well I will have to pass that onto our webhost. - I accepted what they said because I had already hit major problems trying to get both working on a single IP with the HTTP servers, as I said, so I had 'proof' that there was a problem with a single IP for encrypted and non-encrypted.  I will also have to investigate things further with servers, too; although I did want multiple IPs anyway (private nameservers) and room for expansion, so it is not all bad. - Thanks for making me aware of this.

Board footer