Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 05-06-2010 14:06:56

NicheDev

Simplified product data

Hi

I understand the best way to import a large number of products into CCP7/Europacart is to export the product CSV table, open in Excel, OpenOffice or similar, add the new products and then import the resultant file back to the database.
That works fine, but there are many fields in the table that are not at all relevant to my products and will never need to be completed, and that large list of columns is quite daunting and slows me down as I tab through the fields when entering data. The possibility of entering data in the wrong column is also increased.

If I create a local spreadsheet file with ONLY the column headings in it that I will use, all named exactly as they are in the product data table, then enter my new products and save as a CSV, is there a way to merge my new data with the existing product table so that the data gets added correctly to the corresponding fields?

Regards
Paul

#2 05-06-2010 15:13:48

dh783
Website

Re: Simplified product data

Not without creating your own script, ccp's scripts needs all the fields present. Copy and Paste is your best friend inside the spreadsheet, use a entry that has most of the fields the way you want, then change what need to be changed for the new item.

John

#3 05-06-2010 16:23:32

NicheDev

Thanks, John. I did find a script on the web that merged CSV files but it added an extra set of headers at the point of merge. I also wasn't sure how "clean" the resultant file was, so I decided against it.

Copy and paste it is, then. All I need now is a monitor 6 feet wide smile

Paul

#4 05-06-2010 16:55:52

dh783
Website

I use copy and past quite a lot, I also hide the fields in the spreadsheet display that I really don't change that much.

John

#5 05-06-2010 17:47:01

Graham
Website

NicheDev wrote:

there are many fields in the table that are not at all relevant to my products and will never need to be completed, and that large list of columns is quite daunting and slows me down as I tab through the fields when entering data. The possibility of entering data in the wrong column is also increased.

Using Excel, click on the first box on the left below the column titles, then go up to Window and click on Freeze Panes.

That will make the top line with the column titles stay in place so no matter how far down you scroll, they will always be visible.

Also much of the column data can simply be cut and pasted or, alternatively, select a column (excluding the title) and use Edit/ Fill/ Down to copy the contents of the first cell into all of them or use Edit/ Fill/ Series if you want to number them 1-100 etc

#6 05-07-2010 02:08:16

NicheDev

Thanks, Graham. I don't use Excel much so tips like that are really useful.

Paul

Board footer