Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 07-21-2009 12:37:35

CrownRoyal

"Location:" links remain unchanged in v7

I'll explain by example:

https://kryptronic.com/demo/17InchBlackMonitor

shows the Location breadcrumb as:

Location: Store Home  > Monitors  > 17 Inch 1280x1024 Black Monitor

However, if you do a quick store search for 'monitor',

https://kryptronic.com/demo/index.php?a … ng=monitor

and click on the same product, it shows the Location breadcrumb as:

Just my humble opinion here but based on my experiences, having a proper breadcrumb in search results can lead to better sales since it will allow the customer to view similar products in its related category, without having to back track to the search results.

Thanks.

#2 07-21-2009 14:01:35

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: "Location:" links remain unchanged in v7

This is default behavior and an argument that has been hashed out over numerous forum topics over the past few years.

CCP shows you breadcrumbs as a trail of where you've been.  Actual breadcrumbs like from Hansel and Grettle.  Using this logic, what you're seeing is right.

You're expecting a product to always have the same breadcrumb trail - which isn't actually a breadcrumb trail - that's a specific location.

It wouldn't make much sense to show your breadcrumbs as:

Store Home  > Monitors  > 17 Inch 1280x1024 Black Monitor

If you got to that 17 Inch 1280x1024 Black Monitor by way of:

Store Home  > Computers > Auxiliary Items > Monitors  > 17 Inch 1280x1024 Black Monitor

Nick Hendler

#3 07-21-2009 14:12:01

CrownRoyal

True. I think the point I was trying to make was to have the ability to allow the customer to see where other monitors are found, without having to do another search or to have to make their way through the Main Categories to sub-categories and so on down the line.

Thanks.

#4 09-30-2009 12:51:05

chuck6478
Website

On other point with the way breadcrumbs work. It's natural to look at the trail and assume is hierarchical when it isn't.

If you navigate to Monitors > Flat Screen > HP > 19inch then click on Flat Screen in the trail, select Sony, then 21 inch you will see a trail the following

Monitors > Flat Screen > HP > Sony > 21 inch

Which is confusing and can look in this case as if there is something wrong with the site. IMHO good reason to not use breadcrumbs.

Board footer