Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 09-02-2009 21:19:12

daviat

Hostway told my client that PHP is not compatible with SEO

Hi . . .

Hostway has my client up in arms since they told him that . . .

"According to Hostway, a company you highly recommended to me initially, said PHP is virtually non-compatible with search engines and will be an expensive and lengthy job to correct.  There are other programs that could have been used according to Hostway that could have made seo a smooth process."   They are charging him $1500.00 for SEO to "fix" the cart for optimization.

Do you have amy ammunition for me to come back to him with? I am now confused. He is miffed that I used PHP for the shopping cart and he is not seeing immediate results and lots of sales. It has been live for a few months and they are still adding products.

Are there any tip that you can offer me? My client is upset that Hostway said I shouldn't have used PHP for his cart.

How do I make his cart SEO friendly? Can the page links be altered to resemble html?

I heard that was a possiblity with a .htaccess file. Also I was told I can turn on SEO in the admin. Where would that be?

thanks,
Daniel

Last edited by daviat (09-02-2009 22:00:51)

#2 09-03-2009 02:18:51

Dave

Re: Hostway told my client that PHP is not compatible with SEO

Let's see if I can say this gently.  Hostway is full of youknowwhat.

Basic SEO is enabled in admin under Home > Hybrid X Core > Settings: Application Settings Menu > Search Engine Optimization Settings

has the details on creating .htaccess to go along with it.

Search engines do not know or care what is being used to serve pages nor do they care if they are fancy or not.  If you want to make them fancy you may with the  but many many people have been quite successful without it.

#3 09-03-2009 08:02:48

dh783
Website

It sounds like Hostway is trying to justify there 1500.00 price tag! As Dave said search engines don't care what is used to create the site, maybe Hostway just doesn't know anything about php.

John

#4 09-03-2009 11:19:47

cyberws

What a bunch of bull.  When you run searches on the SEs you will often get results from things like Wordpress, Vbulletin, Joomla, etc all of which are PHP.

Jeremy O

Production CCP .:. Version 6 w/QuickBuy and many in house hacks
Skills: PHP & Perl programming, Solaris & Linux server administration, Oracle OCP training and MySQL experience

#5 09-03-2009 20:03:34

daviat

Now Hostway is telling my client . .

"I went through .htaccess – this is the server file that redirects pages. Currently it is set up to redirect to the /khxc/index.php – I will try to tweak it, but I do not promise anything – if it can be done, I will do it, but if not – I will notify you. The whole website is somewhat weird in architecture. It’s basically turned inside – out, unlike all other PHP sites I’ve worked on – I’m reading about it a lot of tech documents, I really need to spend a lot of time on it and test.

I barely managed to install Google webmaster Tools and Google Analytics – it was a real pain – the site seems to have no header or footer, but a body text page, which content is being pulled out of other documents – it’s really weird."

Can someone take a look at the site and let me know if it is weird and unlike other PHP sites? Honestly this site is typical of most shopping carts. On top of that this guy is referring to tech manuals and it sounds like he is not that familiar.
http://www.medsuppliesinc.com/khxc/index.php

thank you,
Daniel

Last edited by daviat (09-03-2009 22:00:02)

#6 09-03-2009 22:35:30

dh783
Website

I don't think the guy has ever seen a dynamically generated site in his life. The basic SEO is not turned on and although it looks like a very nice ZipSkin setup they must have hard coded the left hand menu as most of the links I looked at aren't ccp generated, tho they did pull what looks like content from ccps database.

John

Last edited by dh783 (09-04-2009 08:58:32)

#7 09-03-2009 22:40:09

daviat

In your opinion is it, according to Hostway . . .

"weird in architecture. It’s basically turned inside – out"

Now I have no idea what that means. smile This is a typical cart setup.

Now if they hardcoded the left side menu will that screw up things if I need to add of delete categories or add products? That may have been created via .htaccess. I didn't turn on SEO since Hostway is in there and I don't want to mess with it right now.

Daniel

Last edited by daviat (09-03-2009 22:50:55)

#8 09-04-2009 03:28:12

ZipSkins
Website

It is using a ZipSkin (khxc019), although the hard coded left hand menu items are a modification.

Feel free to contact me direct if there are specific issues related to the skin.

Nigel

| Professional Quality Customisable Skins for your ClickCartPro Powered Site

-----------------------------
Certified Support Partner

#9 09-04-2009 05:52:31

Dave

Let me be a little plainer.  Your client is getting a bum deal from Hostway and the notes from them you have posted clearly show that they have little to no clue what they are doing. If it were my client I'd be telling them to break off with Hostway ASAP and spend the 5 minutes it would take to get basic SEO enabled on their site.  And if they didn't already have the SiteMap XMOD installed I'd get it installed and start getting their sitemap submitted to the major search engines on a daily basis.

SEO is NOT complicated.  The only thing it takes is good keyword choice, rich content and time.

#10 09-04-2009 09:35:38

cyberws

Ah... While I can't comment on the Hostway company overall that tech isn't much of a tech.  I can think of many colorful ways to put but I will play nice.  If that host can't provide techs that know basic Internet technical items like static and dynamic what is he doing there?  I hope he works cheap for Hostway's sake.  CCP works great on many hosts and this isn't a big issue.  Unfortunately the incompetence in the world is extremely high.  I understand no one knows it all, or even, close but come on these are basic things for an Internet techie.

Jeremy O

Production CCP .:. Version 6 w/QuickBuy and many in house hacks
Skills: PHP & Perl programming, Solaris & Linux server administration, Oracle OCP training and MySQL experience

#11 09-04-2009 09:44:44

detent

Sounds to me like this techie is someone fresh out of college or working in a work/study program and is trying to sound important.  He probably still thinks that the only way to do page layout design is with tables rather than with div tags and CSS.  If this were my client, I would tell them to save their $1500 and I would throw it in for free with my current services.  Heck, it is not that hard at all.  I can do SEO in my sleep.  Come to think of it, I do it in my sleep on a regular basis.  big_smile

#12 09-04-2009 22:11:52

garykva

Here is my two cents worth

There is a site at wwwauditmypc.com that offers a free XML and HTML sitemap. I don't believe there is a limit to the amount of lines in the XML, though when I used it in the past, it slowed to a creep when it gets over 10,000 products/lines. The CCP XMOD for sitemaps is low-proced and works GREAT ! I would recommend it to anyone.

NetworkSolutiions.com offers a SEO package as well, near that 1500 mark. NS boasts high page placement that lasts close to a year-18 months. Hard to beat that unless you do it yourself.

I am doing it myself, but it is a pain in the seat, literally. All future sites will be a breeze for me, its not hard to do. It revolves around keywords and using links to support those keywords. Find a keyword niche and your in there.

Gary K
wwwCollector-Corner.com

Board footer