Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 08-16-2009 14:04:26

NicheDev

Site resolution

Hi folks

What's the general view on site resolution?

Is it best to design the site for say, 800px width, to cater for the (presumably) many people still using 4:3 monitors, or use a fluid setting to take advantage of the extra real estate on widescreen monitors?

Some sites I've seen look awful on widescreen monitors, but it seems a shame not to use the whole of the visible screen...

Paul

#2 08-16-2009 14:22:15

cyberws

Re: Site resolution

The following link offers some details on resolutions but in general planning a site for 1024x768 resolutions as the base is considered fine as there aren't many 800x600's.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

Jeremy O

Production CCP .:. Version 6 w/QuickBuy and many in house hacks
Skills: PHP & Perl programming, Solaris & Linux server administration, Oracle OCP training and MySQL experience

#3 08-16-2009 14:43:14

NicheDev

Wow, I didn't know that resource existed. Thank you!
1024 it is!
Kind regards
Paul

#4 08-16-2009 16:53:25

cyberws

w3schools does display data gathered by their own site, however I have seen data that matches their findings.  You can Google for other stats resolutions.  I have noticed more and more large web properties planning for 1024.  If you shrink your window on ebay, after running a search, down to below 1024 standards you get a horizontal scrollbar.  This isn't surprising as 1024 has been out there for a long time.  Many people now have at least 17" monitors and huge numbers are now getting 19"+.  Personally I don't use anything on my workstations below 1440 in width but I build sites for 1024.

Jeremy O

Skills: PHP & Perl programming, Solaris & Linux server administration, Oracle OCP training and MySQL experience

#5 08-17-2009 23:30:26

posnpretty
Website

Just curious - why does the website have to take up the full width of a monitor? I do a lot of multi-tasking, and every day I have at least 2 browser windows open to do comparisons, or to retype information from one source into another.

Needless to say, now that websites are "taking advantage" of wider/larger monitor screen space I now end up with a LOT of scroll bars and I have a 22-inch wide monitor which I bought specifically to be able to have two browser windows open side by side. Where will it end? How large a monitor screen do I need in order to have two browser windows open side by side and not have horizontal scroll bars?

I'm certainly no website expert, but I am an avid user of all kinds of websites. In my opinion, if the information can be displayed satisfactorily at a smaller size, does it really NEED to take up a full monitor screen?

#6 08-18-2009 04:06:50

Dave

posnpretty wrote:

Just curious - why does the website have to take up the full width of a monitor?

I'm certainly no website expert, but I am an avid user of all kinds of websites. In my opinion, if the information can be displayed satisfactorily at a smaller size, does it really NEED to take up a full monitor screen?

How a site is presented depends on a number of factors of course and whether a fluid, fill the screen, design is the right answer or not depends on the owners vision and how they want information to be presented.  There are times when using all of the space is appropriate and times when limiting the width is appropriate.  There isn't a single answer that fits all situations.

One normally wouldn't make a site take up the entire browser just for the sake of doing it.  Those designs may usually be spotted from a mile away cause they simply don't look right (or good).

#7 08-18-2009 08:36:34

cyberws

I think the resolutions will start leveling off as 19" and 20" monitors are about as big as people comfortable seem to want (in most cases of course always exceptions).  As Dave mentioned it depends on what the site is trying to accomplish.  Most of the sites I visit don't take up the full screen of my monitor (1440x900).  As a site owner the more width you add the more information you can across and thus prevent as much scrolling so it is understable.  For side by side windows I personally just use a second monitor attached to my system.

Jeremy O

#8 08-19-2009 23:05:15

Iceit88
Website

posnpretty--  Like cyberws I also use 2 side by side monitors.  It is like a cell phone, once you have it you can't imagine how you lived without it before.  Way better than scrolling and constantly switching windows.  When I work on a single monitor now I sometimes get frustrated and the time it takes to complete tasks.

Bryan

Hat Trick Sports, LLC

Board footer