Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 08-14-2009 00:06:27

garykva

CCP v7 SEO setup

I am operating CCP v7 on a windows platform with php and mysql.

There was no .htaccess file - I went ahead and added an .htaccess file.
In the .htaccess file I went ahead and created a file with the following info. I copied over only one of the rules to save space :

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^ecom-catshow/49ers\.html$ http://www.collector-corner.com/San-Fra … erchandise [L,R=permanent]
RewriteRule ^San-Francisco-49ers-Gifts-and-NFL-Merchandise$ /ecom-catshow/49ers.html

RewriteRule ^(.*)-(.*)/(.*)\.html /index.php?app=$1&ns=$2&ref=$3 [L,PT]

Question: Does the .htaccess file need to be associated with notepad? Right now that file is not associated to open with any file.

I then went to System/HDSEO URL Manager. When I rewrite the SEO HD rule from:
ecom-cat/49ers.html                    /categories/San-Francisco-49ers-Gifts-and-NFL-Merchandise.html

When I turn on SEO optimization, and I check the one category that I set, I get 404 (file not found). As a matter of fact all categories suddenly do not work when the SEO portion is turned on, whether there is an entry in the HDSEO URL Manager or not.

I suspect there is an additional line(s) I am missing but I am scratching my head.

What am I missing here ?

#2 08-14-2009 04:55:29

Dave

Re: CCP v7 SEO setup

The rewrite rules will only work if you're using Apache as the web server.  If you're using IIS on Windows I've yet to find anything that doesn't rewrites that actually works (I've heard that there are things that do though).

#3 08-14-2009 05:09:54

garykva

Dave,

Can you tell me what keyword (other than RewriteRule) I can use to find some sort of snap for IIS to do the redirects?

#4 08-14-2009 05:14:04

garykva

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/461/crea … te-module/

For future Ref, this is for IIS 7.0 - which I love, but Vista doesn't like php/mysql  <smirk>. I am running IIS 6.

If I find a redirect/rewrite rule for IIS 6.0 I'll let you know.

#5 08-14-2009 05:19:20

Dave

PHP and MySQL (and Apache) work just fine with Vista.  It's what both Nick and I use as our development platform (I actually have it on 2 machines).

#6 08-14-2009 05:19:50

Dave

garykva wrote:

If I find a redirect/rewrite rule for IIS 6.0 I'll let you know.

Please do!  I'll add it to the Wiki if you get it working.

#7 08-14-2009 05:39:12

garykva

http://dpotter.net/Technical/2008/10/re … es-for-iis

Looks like a freebie URL rewriter for IIS 6.x exists, its called Ionics Isapi Rewrite Filter, or IIRF, which apparently does the job quite nicely for free.

QUESTION:
Do I still need to use the HD SEO portion (X-mod plug in) if I am using IIS?

#8 08-14-2009 05:46:39

Dave

Good luck with it sir.  I believe that's the one I tried to get working a couple of years ago with no luck whatsoever.

The HD SEO XMOD is for making URLs more "friendly" than the basic SEO which is supplied with CCP.  Whether or not you use it is entirely up to you. You don't need to use it regardless of the web server.  It enhances URLs beyond what the supplied SEO does.

#9 08-14-2009 08:08:56

garykva

Thanks for the quick response.

I see you wrote:
"It enhances URLs beyond what the supplied SEO does."

Does this occur in IIS as well? can I simply use the Xmod SEO HD and get the URLs to change without the need of an .htaccess file?

I guess what I am trying to ask is,

1. Can I achieve the more SEO friendly URLs by using the Xmod HD SEO package, and NOT using the .htaccess file?
2. Out of the box, can the Xmod HD SEO be beneficial with IIS usage  ?

I see, and understand that the .htaccess is for use mainly in an Apache environment. What I am trying to find out is, was the investment in the Xmod a good choice for an IIS 6.x box, without spending a boatload of valuable time on it.

If its "possible" to achieve the "re-writing/renaming" in IIS, then that is a good thing. I DID find another freebie tool which looks even more promising:
http://www.helicontech.com/download-isapi_rewrite3.htm

Gary Kozera
wwwCollector-Corner.com

Last edited by garykva (08-14-2009 08:09:46)

#10 08-14-2009 08:54:01

Dave

garykva wrote:

Does this occur in IIS as well? can I simply use the Xmod SEO HD and get the URLs to change without the need of an .htaccess file?

Assuming rewrites with IIS work in a similar fashion, which I'm guessing they probably do, it should work.  IIS doesn't have/use a .htaccess file so the file or rules when using IIS would likely be done differently than how they are shown in the HD SEO manual.

garykva wrote:

1. Can I achieve the more SEO friendly URLs by using the Xmod HD SEO package, and NOT using the .htaccess file?
2. Out of the box, can the Xmod HD SEO be beneficial with IIS usage  ?

I can't answer either of those questions.  You should start by getting the basic SEO working first before you even approach trying to improve things with the HD SEO XMOD.  Both the basic SEO and the HD SEO XMOD work with URLs and depend on rewrite rules to get things right.  Whether or not the rules come from .htaccess or some other source doesn't matter.

If you don't have a specific need to have your hosting on a Windows server you may want to see if you can switch to a Linux based hosting solution.  In the end it will make your life a LOT easier/simpler and, in a good number of cases, less expensive since MS licensing fees aren't involved.

#11 08-14-2009 10:01:37

garykva

Understood,

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I wanted clarification. I had to make sure that IIS still needs the rewrite feature outside of just slapping data in the Xmod SEO HD area and having it "magically" work.

Again, If these 3rd party solutions work for URL rewrites, and I can get them to work, I'll let you know. Thanks for the additional info. Keep up the good work.

On to the experi-"mental" usage ! =P

Gary Kozera
wwwCollector-Corner.com

#12 08-14-2009 10:22:18

garykva

Dave wrote:

PHP and MySQL (and Apache) work just fine with Vista.  It's what both Nick and I use as our development platform (I actually have it on 2 machines).

Sorry Dave, I missed this post, too busy talking on the phone and navigating to other workstations, and didn't see this interesting post .....

When I tried using PHP and MYSQL with IIS 7.0 and Vista Premium, as hard as I tried - weeks of burning the midnight oil - the PHP and MYSQL would not play. The installer with CCP v6 at the time would error out every time. I went to the MSDN and seen an article for the specific problem I was having and it was a documented known problem. I am tring to remember what it was - may have been Curl, or another PHP function that tends to crap the bed from time to time on windows boxes......MSDN supposedly nailed down my probelm as an incompatibility, so I reverted to win2003/IIS 6.x and got it up and running in a few hours.

You may have rekindled my interest in trying again, so I may just try again. There may be hope after all with the Vista box, IF I cannot get my current config (win2003/IIS 6) to do re-writes.

IIS 7.0 has a SWEET URL re-write feature. I may have to fire up the noisy poweredge server and put Vista on it, and see if I can get CCP v6 to run on it. I currently have one extra CCP 6 license I have not upgraded - yet. It wasn't until I started looking into the CCP V7 HD SEO Xmod that I seen the re-write feature in IIS 7.0. No better way to have re-writes occur than have it as part of the OS, out of the box, vice trusting the introduction of some 3rd party software that may or may not work.

Gary Kozera
wwwCollector-Corner.com

#13 08-14-2009 12:45:29

Dave

You never mentioned IIS smile  I have no idea about using PHP and/or MySQL with IIS.

Board footer