Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 04-05-2009 21:50:46

wyattea

Site HACKED!!!

My site is currently hacked, I have no clue how they got in or what they changed, there are no extra files I can see and nothing in index.php that looks off. Can anyone give me ideas where to look or what to change?
Here's what is below the hack graphics:

Script Execution Error
Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
File: /index.php Line: 265 Error Number: 2

James...

Last edited by wyattea (04-28-2009 06:40:40)

#2 04-05-2009 22:07:58

wyattea

Re: Site HACKED!!!

config.php file was replaced...coincidently, I had backed up everything last night to my portable HD so I uploaded a fresh copy and it's fine...now I need to find out how they accessed my ftp and what else they touched!

#3 04-05-2009 22:39:42

wyattea

my config.php file was rwxrwxrwx...not sure if that was bad, but it still is until hosting company changes ownership of file (currently nobody/nobody, so I can't change permsissions)

#4 04-06-2009 05:18:51

wyattea

Hosting Co: "While we are still digging into this, the summary of the issue at hand is that the compromise was not made through your site, but through not one, but two other customer sites living on the same server."

I'm semi-dedicated...can't afford fully dedicated...oh well, their defacement was short-lived.

James...

#5 04-06-2009 08:40:23

cyberws

The one major drawback to the installer system CCP uses its it wants everything 777 and that makes the files writeable by anything that can get on the box.  This is especially true of shared hosting environments.

Jeremy O

Production CCP .:. Version 6 w/QuickBuy and many in house hacks
Skills: PHP & Perl programming, Solaris & Linux server administration, Oracle OCP training and MySQL experience

#6 04-06-2009 08:53:21

Dave

Which is why in version 7 the default is going to be 755.  777 should NOT be a problem on a decent provider who understands and implements security correctly.

#7 04-06-2009 09:27:47

cyberws

I agree on a solid dedicated environment 777 isn't as big a problem.  Still two thoughts.  First for security one should always use the lowest permission setting possible to get the job done.  This is just wise and strong security.  I don't like 777 or 666 except for general temp directories.  They are just a security hole.

The problem with 777 on shared environments is one is at the mercy of any other site.  For example if someone else has Joomla installed and a hack is done on Joomla depending on the compromise an attacker could tell Joomla to overwrite all index files in the /home directory (which is often where sites are stored).

If something is 777 or 666 then anyone on the server can overwrite that file but at least with 644 or 755 (the two common permissions for non global writes) then such an attack would fail as only the owner can perform writes.  Heck on a shared environment (without a chrooted/jailed environment) one can create scripts and read directories, even with write permissions off, which includes discovering the database information.  That is one reason I strongly suggest people run VPS/VDS as soon as possible.

I realize Dave you know this but I thought I would share these thoughts with the community.

Jeremy O

Skills: PHP & Perl programming, Solaris & Linux server administration, Oracle OCP training and MySQL experience

#8 04-06-2009 09:38:46

wyattea

Vps/vds?

#9 04-06-2009 09:41:37

cyberws

Virtual Private Server/Virtual Dedicated Server (Two terms used to mean the same thing)

That way its your environment and if Joe's site is attacked it is his problem as the hack should be contain to his container area.  Of course if a DOS attack occurs well that can effect anyone on that server or network but at least with DOS your files are safe.

Jeremy O

#10 04-06-2009 12:40:52

wyattea

But that has to be done by the hosting company right? I think the short answer on that will be personal responsibility on the part of the customer (although that affects me but the 2nd short answer is to go dedicated if I want a guarantee not to be affected by other's incompetence).

#11 04-06-2009 12:55:17

cyberws

Well a VPS is a dedicated environment.  You just order it like shared hosting.  If you want references I can provide some (no I don't work for any hosting companies).  Although like anything in life the quality of hosts vary widely and keep in mind things like cPanel/WHM aren't the safest environments in the world.  In fact a security tech at Secureworks I know says they could make a full time living patching just cPanel/WHM.  I will give cPanel credit they are getting better but still know the risks.  Often when making things easier it comes at the cost of security.  Note I said often not always.

For a shopping cart if you want the best security get a VDS/dedicated server and reduce its attack surface by locking down all you can.  For example if you don't need DNS turn it off (many domain providers now provide DNS services), make sure telnet is off and use SSH, etc.  Also get a firewall (hardware is better as it doesn't take server resources and isn't at the mercy of a possible server OS hack).

I realize it costs money but even the simple act of getting a $35/month VPS will increase your security a lot.  Of course nothing is foolproof and like in the real world the bad guys will never run out of targets but there is the key.  Don't make yourself an easy target as just like in the physical world most evil doers will pass a house by with a security system to hit one that doesn't have one.  So make it harder for them and some simple steps can also stop a lot of automated bots and such that run 24/7 searching for weaknesses.

Plus with a VPS you can do some advanced things to reduce your attack surface.  In one of my other threads I was seeking to possibility start a security type area but it doesn't look like people are that interest.  I can't say I am surprised as I know most don't think much about security, performance or backing up things until its to late.

Jeremy O

#12 04-06-2009 13:08:02

Dave

cyberws wrote:

In one of my other threads I was seeking to possibility start a security type area but it doesn't look like people are that interest.  I can't say I am surprised as I know most don't think much about security, performance or backing up things until its to late.

I don't believe it's a lack of interest really.  The CCP audience is comprised of mostly small and some medium sized businesses who don't have the resources to implement nor even investigate some of the things that would be discussed.  I once tried to make a living providing simple backup solutions and experienced eyes glazing over more often than not.  With the million and one things a business owner has to deal with on daily basis adding additional things which are basically insurance just isn't on their radar (until something happens to them of course).

#13 04-06-2009 13:22:21

cyberws

Hello Dave,

I do understand that most people just don't know.  I interact with a lot of small business owners (in fact we have several products that teach about starting online businesses) and I have taught computer classes in the past.  I even ran one of the biggest computer help chats on Yahoo! Chat years and years ago.  So believe me I understand that idea.

I also realize many on here are one or two people operations.  We aren't a big enterprise either.  Still my idea for the forum (and you guys might not want it anyway) was simply to build an area for security and performance tips, tricks, ideas, etc to those interest and those who want to learn.

I also don't believe this is basic insurance.  Well some of it is but there are a lot of bots that scan the internet all the time looking for known issues.  Its just like spyware millions and millions and millions of computers around the world are infected with trojans, root kits, etc.  Neither is a trivial problem.  How many times do I read in eWeek or such were some automated SQL injection bot hit 50 to 100K sites.  Those sites weren't hit with some person but other computers.

I know the bad guys often will read about patches to Windows, Joomla, Wordpress, etc and then program a bot knowing few people update their installs.  Heck there are even back market sites that compile all that data and sell as subscription to the bad guys/evil doers.  So while I understand say an advanced dedicated firewall device is way over the head of most CCPers I don't think a VPS is or should be.

CCP is a very safe application and Nick does an awesome job.  Outside of the 777 thing which is going way you said (great news) I have no complaints about CCP security.  Still CCP doesn't run in a vacuum.   It is at the mercy of Apache, ISS, Bind, other PHP applications running on the box, etc and as you know the list is long.

Security is a journey and not a destination.  As hackers say just cause I can't today doesn't mean I can't tomorrow.  I also don't paint myself as any security guru but still I do what I can to make our company as safe as possible and I like passing along information to help others.

Last edited by cyberws (04-06-2009 13:24:11)

Jeremy O

#14 04-06-2009 14:05:07

jj1987
Website

This is just my opinion, and it's being given out free online, so take that for what it's worth....

I honestly think that VPS is a great option for tech savvy people.  We're running a dedicated server, and the benefits for us are huge (any software we need can be installed-- no questions asked, we can disable any feature we don't need for increased security, etc).  HOWEVER, the cost is so high that most businesses simply can't justify it, and I'd be willing to bet that the 1-2 day downtime to restore a backup would cost them less in lost sales than the long term cost of a VPS or dedicated server solution.  The other issue, is that if you don't know what you're doing, you're going to have to hire someone who does, or risk creating more security holes than a shared environment would have.

-James Garrett

#15 04-06-2009 14:17:41

Dave

That's also a very valid point James. As I used to say in my "sales pitch", what would happen to your business if every computer in your office vanished overnight (used that as the tag line on the back of my business cards too)?  Most people were horrified by the thought but either couldn't afford to do something about it or weren't too concerned that it might happen to them.

#16 04-06-2009 20:07:33

wyattea

cyberws wrote:

I realize it costs money but even the simple act of getting a $35/month VPS will increase your security a lot.  Of course nothing is foolproof and like in the real world the bad guys will never run out of targets but there is the key.  Don't make yourself an easy target as just like in the physical world most evil doers will pass a house by with a security system to hit one that doesn't have one.  So make it harder for them and some simple steps can also stop a lot of automated bots and such that run 24/7 searching for weaknesses.

I pay $80cdn/mth for a semi-dedicated account. My options are limited because I have to use a host in Canada that actually has servers in Canada and not a reseller of US services. Most hosts in CDN don't actually have servers in CDN. One big one, netfirms.ca I think, promised me they hosted in Toronto,  but the IP assigned was geolocated in New Jersey. They refunded me in full because of the 'confusion' on their part smile If google sees my site as being 'us-based', I lose 50% of my traffic because of google.ca traffic. This happened, I won't go into details but it took alot of fixing (and 1+ year of working/waiting patiently) to get the traffic back smile

James...

Last edited by wyattea (04-06-2009 20:07:49)

Board footer