Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#26 04-22-2008 15:02:50

Perkster
Website

Re: Currencies to PayPal

Hi Peter,

I couldn't agree with you more...  But we wait for something to happen....

Mike Perks
Linux CD Shop - /shop for Linux distributions

ReviewLinux.Com - Linux OS News & Review Site

#27 04-29-2008 16:24:04

peter_town

Can someone please answer my question.. My client is waiting for a response?? Do I have to purchase a second copy of clickcart to run a second currency or can I clone the cart to run with everything repriced in a new currency so that pricing remains consistent when passed to paypal. I am more than happy to setup two carts and reprice everything one in dollars one in UKP and switch between them with my own currency buttons. I also want to do Yen and Euros later on this year so this is of major importance to me. Thanks in advance.

#28 04-29-2008 16:48:00

Perkster
Website

Wow that seems like an added expense when this is something that should have been thought of in the first place.  Sure would make it easier if CCP6 just passed total in customer-defined appropriate currency.

Mike Perks
Linux CD Shop - /shop for Linux distributions

ReviewLinux.Com - Linux OS News & Review Site

#29 05-07-2008 15:35:41

peter_town

bump.. Please give me the answer I cannot stall them much longer.. do you offer a discount or do they have to purchase a complete new store licence? You will be able to check that the products are the same if that helps?.. thanks Peter

#30 05-12-2008 03:23:48

peter123456789

Dave or anyone??
What is the answer to this question it is relevant to me as well ?
Is there a way to set up two or three different currencies under the one registration ?
also is there anyway I can use Renminbi (RMB).
Regards, Peter

#31 05-14-2008 08:03:51

peter_town

Please please reply. Should I start a new thread ? what is the solution? Is it it possible to run two carts from one set up with different currencies? to run two seperate currencies do you need new licence?.. cheap/reduced licence?.. or free licence on the same domain name? How many shops on one domain name are you allowed if they all stock the same products just in different currencies? This is not that hard a question.

#32 02-05-2009 14:16:08

qazwsxedc

BIG BUMP here what is going on is there really no currency convertor all the information states there is one. In the UK you will be shut down if you advertise one price and then charge another. You cannot do guesstimates on dollars and euros then charge in sterling and reconvert back again. Can you please point me to an answer that sorts this or is the solution as suggested earlier more carts for each currency. ?

#33 02-11-2009 14:55:29

qazwsxedc

Right... massive bump.... with the dollar rate I am looking at the best part of £200 to add a new cart that can handle dollars then another £200 so it can handle Euros. I understand how the currency conversion works in this cart and it is not usable without being shut down over incorrect pricing as price displayed needs to be the currency charged it is no use saying it is $200 dollars then charging them £150 which is then converted back to dollars at $212 it just isnt right. Is there anyone I can phone to discuss this licencing issue. I want the same cart on the same domain name with exactly the same products with just the passing to paypal in the correct currencies I shouldnt have to pay 3 times for this when the advert says it handles multiple currencies. Please please pretty please help. I am going to loose money here as I am the front end for this product and I assured the client it could handle pounds dollars and euros.. Thanks

#34 02-11-2009 16:27:30

Dave

qazwsxedc wrote:

BIG BUMP here what is going on is there really no currency convertor all the information states there is one.

Yes, there is a currency converter and it does exactly what it is advertised to do, show your prices in different currencies.  There's not a single claim that CCP will do any billing or charging through payment gateways in other currencies.

Edit to add: Furthermore, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, PayPal is the only processor that supports multiple currencies and even their supported list is very limited.

Last edited by Dave (02-11-2009 16:30:10)

#35 02-12-2009 12:06:19

qazwsxedc

Dave thanks for the reply I do understand how it works although as Perkster correctly points out invoicing works in a different way. The correct way for invoicing to work then would be to bill in cart currency not converted currency? Gateways will accept the carts currency ie if it passes dollars to a dollars account it will accept dollars. If it passes GBP to a GBP account it will accept GBP. I admit this would be two gateways depending on location or one if you used paypal.

So the upshot is if I want my clients shop to operate in different currencies I need two or more licences even though it is exactly the same shop the only difference is one passes dollars and the other passes GBP ? is there not a discount for multiple licencing on the same domain selling exactly the same products. I am happy to discuss this with anyone and explain it better if you dont understand my query.  I am also happy to pay something but a full cart licence seems a little excessive. I think I can get away with US$ and GBP£. I have the GBP£ working fine I just want to replicate it with US$. Is there an easy way to copy the database and pictures to the second cart  ie which folders do I need to transfer.  Thanks

#36 02-12-2009 12:42:07

Dave

qazwsxedc wrote:

The correct way for invoicing to work then would be to bill in cart currency not converted currency?

Billing and the invoice will show the amounts in the default currency for the site.  The currency converter in CCP is there ONLY to provide shoppers an estimate of what a product would cost in their own currency.  You, as a store owner, can not possibly get the conversion exactly correct. As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the on-line sources are accurate at a particular point in time but what a credit card processor charges is based on exactly when they actually process the charge and will quite likely be a different number.

I liken it to withdrawing funds from an ATM in a foreign country.  The actual number of US dollars that I'll be "charged" for is based on the exchange rate when my bank or credit card company processes the charge.  I can only guesstimate what that might be.

qazwsxedc wrote:

So the upshot is if I want my clients shop to operate in different currencies I need two or more licences even though it is exactly the same shop the only difference is one passes dollars and the other passes GBP ?

Yes and they would be separate stores.

qazwsxedc wrote:

is there not a discount for multiple licencing on the same domain selling exactly the same products.

You couldn't have 2 or more instances of CCP at exactly the same domain name.  Multiple license discounts are available after the purchase of the first 2 at full price (for the US version at least ... you'd have to check with Howard for the UK version).

qazwsxedc wrote:

Is there an easy way to copy the database and pictures to the second cart  ie which folders do I need to transfer.

Yes, you could easily duplicate the site and update one file with the 2nd license key to have a replica.  You'd have to update both instances on an ongoing basis however.  CCP doesn't support 2 stores using a single database for categories, products, etc.

#37 02-15-2009 11:24:51

qazwsxedc

Thanks Dave for the answers.

Two stores may prove to be the answer then. Although I was also wondering if I could pay someone to write a mod to send the currency and amount from a modified paypal gateway. Would this be possible ? Thanks

#38 02-15-2009 11:35:59

qazwsxedc

dave just looking at your earlier mod you attempted. am I right in thinking that you could detremine the currency but not the price to pass as that stayed at base price? Would it be possible in the mod to set the currency and if currency = USD then multiply passed amount by 1.5 if currency = GBP do nothing. If currency = EUR multiply by .75  If currency = anything else leave as base currency send GBP and price. If so that may well work If being really clever could you use the conversion figures set in the cart? can I copy the paypal code and try and make this work as my own payment gateway code?

#39 02-15-2009 12:11:39

Dave

qazwsxedc wrote:

dave just looking at your earlier mod you attempted. am I right in thinking that you could detremine the currency but not the price to pass as that stayed at base price?

There is nothing in CCP that provides pricing calculations other than for display prices.  It would take a significant amount of work to change things so a different currency price were used and carried throughout the site.

qazwsxedc wrote:

Would it be possible in the mod to set the currency and if currency = USD then multiply passed amount by 1.5 if currency = GBP do nothing. If currency = EUR multiply by .75  If currency = anything else leave as base currency send GBP and price.

How would that help?  You might be charging people too much or too little at any given point in time based on exchange rates.  And, as I've also mentioned, the rate they are actually charged even if you DO sent through a payment may be different than what they end up being charged because of CC exchange rates.

qazwsxedc wrote:

can I copy the paypal code and try and make this work as my own payment gateway code?

You may do anything you'd like with CCP though I certainly wouldn't advise trying to do any price calculations as you've described above.  IMO you'd be asking for trouble.

#40 02-15-2009 14:01:22

qazwsxedc

The currency conversion calc would match the cart conversion calc so all the prices would tie up... how it would help ... well like this. Imagine you own a shop that sells widgets in the UK they are £2 in america they are $4 and in France they are 1.8 euros. The world and its banks keep changing the exchange rates but you dont care as you have your item priced and printed on the box at $4 for america  £2 for UK Eur 1.8 for France. You will obviously make less when the exchange rate moves against you but make more when it moves in your favour. People could obviously buy your item in different currencies and if they were astute could benefit from a cheaper price.. although they would have to pay a currency conversion so that discount maybe wiped out. If the box has $4 printed on it then a customer will be delighted as they move through the cart and find at the end it comes in at £2 converted to $2.88 the problem here is that the customer was ready and happy to pay $4. You have now given someone a $1.12 discount to the printed and published price. This is very bad business and not to mention looks terrible. There is of course and argument to suggest that the customer got a good deal and will be happy. Now here comes the big problem. The exchange rates move the other way your published price now becomes expensive and the customer is rightly cross that the item says $4 but the cart says £2 which converts to $4.38. They then email and say hey why is that box with $4 printed on it $4.38..

Back to the code changing if possible.. the page before sending the amount to paypal is perfect it has the amount in the correct currency. Is there a way to edit this page so it stays in for the gateway page? so the price doesnt switch visually back to base currency.

Within the paypal processing page I found the currency is set to base currency this could be modified to session currency. As you correctly point out paypal only handles USD, EUR, GBP, CAD and JPY so if not one of those then it needs to all be set to base currency. (code within paypal gateway needed here)

could this be modified thus

if ($sesscurr == 'GBP') {

** help for  code here to multiply total order field by 0.5 **

}

else if ($sesscurr == 'EUR') {

** help for  code here to multiply total order field by 0.7 **

}

etc etc .. if no match then base currency is passed to paypal and they have to suffer conversion rate (better still those other currencies removed from the cart conversion so they have to use one that is useable in paypal)..

This doesnt seem to hard a job to me but at the moment I am not sure exactly which fields are what.. some guidance may help. to summarise
The currency calculation could be done just before the currency and amount are passed to paypal. The conversion rates would be quite static ie £1 = 2$ = .7 euros. The new amount and currency is passed to paypal. Just thought what is printed on the invoice base or current cart currency? as this would obviously have to match up.

I do appreciate your help here and can see your argument hopefully you can now see mine....

#41 02-16-2009 06:10:01

Dave

I would you suggest that you request a  from Howard at GreenBarnWeb.

#42 02-16-2009 14:47:15

qazwsxedc

Dave,

Thanks for that.
Interestingly the Clickcart site works the way I expected this would and I assume it is using clickcart software ?
Anyway I will update you on the outcome.

#43 02-16-2009 14:50:51

Dave

qazwsxedc wrote:

Interestingly the Clickcart site works the way I expected this would and I assume it is using clickcart software ?

Not sure I understand what you're saying with that statement.

#44 02-16-2009 17:50:22

qazwsxedc

Sorry for any confusion. I did initially think that the different euro regions GBP and Euros were running from within one cart.. although I asssume from your lack of understanding they are seperate carts. Interestingly though an american cart working in us$ is available for $99 dollars on the american site .com charging in $ so I dont need another UK cart @ £185 working in GBP simply passing dollars. I could just buy it for $99 and have the dollars passed to paypal. The euro cart works out at £270 ( a staggering $385). So this would be best to use a uk cart in its euro conversion format  ? Am I right in thinking that the US version has no currency convertor? anyway lets see how the mod from Howard goes. Sorry for any confusion I do appreciate your help. I am simply trying to get this sorted as simply and as cheaply as possible as it will be coming out of my pocket as it is my error for not investigating the carts features properly in the first place.

#45 02-16-2009 18:56:28

qazwsxedc

I have found this mod posted on another thread...

$currency = $this->globals('khxc_session.show_currency');
if (empty($currency)) {$currency = $this->globals('khxc_settings.' . $app . '.basecurrency');}

$olpform['fields']['HIDDEN'][] = array('name'  => 'currency',
                                       'value' => $currency);

$ordertotal = $this->include_namespace($this->globals('khxc.app'),'getprice',$order['order']['ordertotal']);
$ordertotal = preg_replace('/[^0-9\.]/','',$ordertotal);

$olpform['fields']['HIDDEN'][] = array('name'  => 'amount',
                                       'value' => $ordertotal);

Will test and update thread...

#46 02-16-2009 22:47:50

Dave

qazwsxedc wrote:

Sorry for any confusion. I did initially think that the different euro regions GBP and Euros were running from within one cart.. although I asssume from your lack of understanding they are seperate carts.

Howard, GreenBarnWeb, has 2 sites running separate instances of the UK version of CCP.  One for UK customers and one for EU customers.  The UK version of CCP is priced differently on those 2 sites.

qazwsxedc wrote:

Interestingly though an american cart working in us$ is available for $99 dollars on the american site .com charging in $ so I dont need another UK cart @ £185 working in GBP simply passing dollars. I could just buy it for $99 and have the dollars passed to paypal. The euro cart works out at £270 ( a staggering $385). So this would be best to use a uk cart in its euro conversion format  ? Am I right in thinking that the US version has no currency convertor?

Currency conversion is available in all versions of CCP.  The $99 special in the US is for the US version only.  Howard does not have a special available for the UK/EU version.

#47 02-17-2009 10:24:59

rachaelseven
Website

I appreciate the comments of those here that feel there should be more currency handling features in CCP.  However, the features as they exist are clearly described and functioning as intended.  Since the features are functioning as intended and are clearly now understood by all parties involved, this is no longer a support issue.  If additional features are desired, the place for that discussion is in the "CCP6 Feature Requests and Discussion" forum and I would kindly request that such discussion take place there.  Unless there is any remaining confusion about the function of the currency conversion feature, please refrain from posting further entries to this thread.  Thank you.

Rachael Katz
- Custom Focusing Screens for DSLR Cameras

Board footer