Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 11-25-2008 14:21:01

k1802

Changing reference strings for products?

Is it possible to change the reference string for a product via the database, and not lose seo indexed pages?

We have a client that was using the format companyname_(product) for their reference strings, and now they need to change that to companyname2_(product) due to legal reasons.  I know I can do a batch find/replace in sql and fix the problem, but then all of the cached links in google will be broken.  Is there any way to update the htacess file to say "if(companyname) redirect to (companyname2)?

#2 11-25-2008 23:57:51

rachaelseven
Website

Re: Changing reference strings for products?

I'm no expert in Mod-Rewrite, so this might not be exactly right, but I'm pretty sure it could be done.  Would probably look something like this (assuming ATS type SEO):

Code:

RewriteRule ^item--(.*)--companyname_(.*)\.html /item--$1--company2_$2.html [R=301]

If you put that (or whatever the exactly right version of it is) as the first rewrite rule, it should redirect the old URL to the new, returning a 301 that should keep the search engines happy.  There's lots of info on mod-rewrite to be found with the Google though, so I'll leave it to you to work out the details.

Rachael Katz
- Custom Focusing Screens for DSLR Cameras

Board footer