Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 05-29-2003 12:24:33

Backup

In the event of a server crash or I decide to move to another hosting company, how can I backup my products and categories so I will not have to re enter all the products and categories?
Thank you.

#2 05-29-2003 12:43:46

altmedic

Re: Backup

Its good to have a server host who backs up regularly.  If you change hosts, there is a post somewhere on the forum, I don't know where, that contains a step-by-step list of what it takes to move to a new host.  I did it, and it ain't easy.  I believe the person who posted that list was Greg.

If you do decide to change hosts, I recommend hosttec.net.  They have fast servers, which is critical with CCP5, they backup regularly, and give good personalized service, by phone or e-mail.   

#3 05-29-2003 15:30:55

Jack

I've also had good luck with successfulhosting.com. 27/7 free online chat support, 800 free support during biz hours, current software incl PHP, MySql, etc., all including for $15 to $25 a month.

Jack

#4 05-29-2003 15:52:12

BooBoo
Website

Actually, it is not difficult to move the site to a new server.

You simply tar your ccp5 directory and and tar it on the new server.

If you are using MySQL, the biggest thing is to ensure that you create the user id and password that was used on the old server.

I then ran a perl job that found all the files that referenced the old server and updated those files via the perl job to reference the new server.

Took about 30 minutes total time.

--
Keith Roberts
IT Manager
Laptops For Less, Inc
keith@getadeal.com
<a href="http://www.laptopsforless.com">Your source for laptop batteries, pda batteries, digital camera batteries, cell phone batteries, and accessories</a>

#5 06-02-2003 23:07:07

superhero2000
Website

The easiet way to just backup your products and categories is to FTP the all your most recent .csv files in the Tables Directory located in data>tables.

Vinh
VQC Designs, LLC

#6 06-03-2003 16:34:24

jaavi

What I do is I have an exact copy of my site on my desktop server, so I do all the amendments on my desktop and then upload it via ftp to the web server, I was hosting with feature price, since they went bankrupt and I got burned, I keep several functioning copies, one on my server, one on my desktop and one on a CDROM, wouldn't you call that cautious!?

regards Joey.

#7 06-04-2003 12:34:30

webmaster
Administrator
Website

I've got two backups on each of two servers, one on my local Linux box, one on my laptop and one on a removable HDD that I store in a fire safe.  You're not too cautious if I'm not smile

Nick Hendler
Webmaster, Kryptronic, Inc.

Nick Hendler

Board footer