Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 05-21-2003 16:51:41

server load-search engine-page title

In the next upgrade is there going to be anything done so that as a customer is navigating the site that the server load will not be so rexource intensive?  Will the new upgrade allow for page titles specific to what is on the page as opposed to the current one which is generic for every page?  Is ther anything in the works to make the program more search engine friendly?

#2 05-22-2003 14:41:06

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: server load-search engine-page title

In the next upgrade is there going to be anything done so that as a customer is navigating the site that the server load will not be so rexource intensive?

Some modifications have been/will be made to better manage server resources in a few areas.  If you are having issues with large CSV data sets, maybe you should consider using MySQL functionality - that's why it's there.

Will the new upgrade allow for page titles specific to what is on the page as opposed to the current one which is generic for every page?

This is supported currently.

Is ther anything in the works to make the program more search engine friendly?

Search engines and databases like Inktomi are now getting on board and crawling CGIs.  There are no plans to do anything search engine related in the next version.  The best policy is to keep a couple of HTML pages on your site somewhere that point to the store so the less advanced engines will crawl them.

Nick Hendler
Webmaster, Kryptronic, Inc.

Nick Hendler

#3 05-23-2003 01:34:43

Thanks for the info Nick!!!

#4 05-23-2003 01:42:13

Hi Nick,
Before I go further, we love the freedom CCP5 has given us and the ease of adding products has been great.

With respect to server related resources the problem I am having is that I recently signed up with Dealtime and they have a spyder that crawls the site and pushes the server resources to the limit.  Our administrator says and I quote "That spyder was blocked because it was continuously accessing the site which in turn increased the load on the server. The load on otsego is on average about a .2  - when these people visit the load increases to 1.8 - 2.0."

The spyder spends about an hour crawling about 400 pages we currently have so I guess I was wondering if we are the only ones noticing issues with this.  Please advise.

#5 05-23-2003 19:26:09

DarrinWard

I'd like to add at this point that I feel the server load is not being increase due to large CVS files .. I believe it's the sheer volume of .pm (perl module) files that are called upon each hit.

Regards...
Darrin Ward

#6 05-25-2003 05:55:56

Nick,

Where and how do I customize each page's title dependent on the page's content?

I can not find this in the manual or forum, and is essential for search engine rankings, as you know, to have product keywords or keyphrases in the <TITLE> tag. Right now the title is the same throughout the site.

Please advise.
Thanks

#7 05-25-2003 09:01:29

altmedic

The factor that most search engines give priority to now is the number of links into your site.  That is true of Google, the biggest search firm.  Some search engines give no priority to meta tags at all.  Search engines will spider a cgi site, but they stop at a ? in a URL, to avoid getting caught in an endless loop.  At least this is what the search-position gurus say.

#8 05-25-2003 10:10:51

BooBoo
Website

However, you can modify the httpd.conf, which changes the ? to a /.  That way a search engine will not stop.  This is commonly done for dynamically created pages.

--
Keith Roberts
IT Manager
Laptops For Less, Inc
keith@getadeal.com
<a href="http://www.laptopsforless.com">Your source for laptop batteries, pda batteries, digital camera batteries, cell phone batteries, and accessories</a>

#9 05-26-2003 21:33:03

gyyyg

Thank you for the replies so far.

I do not care about meta tags, as you are correct when you state that popularity is now more important. However, for low competition or 'niche' keywords and phrases, the HTML <TITLE> tag is *paramount*, and I have had excellent Google rankings this way for other clients on static sites. Linking is essential to raise page rank in general and for very competitive keywords or phrases.

I intend to build a site map to help the spiders index this dynamic site, so thank you for the "?" tip.

However, this does not answer the main question of how to individualize each page's title bar. This is essential for my site, and I guess I just assumed that when I chose this script that it would be up to date. I am very happy with everything else, but if the title bar must remain the same throughout the site, I will be very unhappy! This will mean having to build a static page for each keyword/phrase, which kinda defeats the objective of the script. I guess I should have investigated more.

I'm sure there is a way around this problem. I do not mind having to compile a list of titles to be called by CGI, but I need some guidance as to how to get the script to do this. My thought was for the screen which enters each product to have an extra box for the page's title for the script to call the relevant title when the specific page is accessed.

Any input greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
gyyyg

#10 06-04-2003 10:35:57

webmaster
Administrator
Website

If I were you, I would create a robots.txt file and put it in your root www directory (wwwyourdomain.com/robots.txt).  Use the following for the contents of the file:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /cgi-bin/
Disallow: /ccp5/

That will cause the robot to stop crawling your CCP5 install - as long as it's a polite robot.  Create some HTML pages that are good for search engines and point to your CCP install from them.

Nick Hendler
Webmaster, Kryptronic, Inc.

Nick Hendler

#11 07-08-2003 13:56:14

Billy

That is exactly where we stand right now.  It is the page title that needs to match the product on the page.  I would think some script could be written to pick up the the product_name and make that the page title.  That would go a long way with google and others on ranking.

Have you had any luck?  Please advise.

#12 10-28-2003 03:37:27

Dan Pinder

I need this function also. The product information is pulled after the title is created, so we can not add "widgit product, fuzzy model", or "widgit product, water resistant".. etc as each product demands.

To simply add the product name to the end of the title would be perfect.

#13 10-28-2003 08:35:21

webmaster
Administrator
Website

The issue is that the page title is printed to the layout way before the program knows what page and/or product we're looking at.  I just posted a comment in the 5.1 forum that would apply here that *may* work.  Check that post out...

Nick Hendler

#14 10-28-2003 08:47:55

Dan Pinder

I was unable to find that post. What thread is it in?

Hrm. Well lets look at this from another angle.

On my cart for example, the product numbers (ref) are passed in the URL to the cart. Can we simply pull that number from the URL then use it with a procedure to grab the description, and/or keywords from the database?

There must be a way to do this. It is very important Nick... for everyone.  smile 

#15 10-28-2003 10:21:24

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Here:

Also, I just posted a code based mod to get the product/category/page name from the db.  Getting the ref in there would be similar but would not require SQL calls.  Check that post out in the 5.1 cool mods & hacks.  It is applicable to 5.0 as well.

Nick Hendler

Board footer