Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 07-27-2008 20:32:27

rtringo

Firefox not displaying Online Store correctly

My website:

http://www.profoundmysticalmeditation.com

displays properly in IE by does goofy things in Firefox.

1. The HTML webpages display adequately with a few minor quirks
2. However the ecommerce pages are a mess
    a. The left and center column do not match up in height
    b. The footer displays on the right side now.

Nothing seems to line up properly.

What could be the issue?

Roger

#2 07-28-2008 03:44:45

Dave

Re: Firefox not displaying Online Store correctly

IE only displays it "better" because it doesn't come close to abiding by the standards Roger.  Looking at the source and running a couple of your pages through the validator reveals that you are using tags that are not supported in XHTML documents.  The landing page for example has 418 errors and a couple of your "interior" pages have 399 errors.

You may be able to get them closer in looks if you change the document type though a better solution is to correct the errors so the pages are valid XHTML.  If you do that they should look the same across most browsers (not just IE and FF).  FWIW things don't look correct with Safari or SeaMonkey either.  Opera can't even load the page.

Edit to note that Opera can't load the page at all.

Last edited by Dave (07-28-2008 03:54:00)

#3 07-28-2008 15:54:44

rtringo

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info....Guess I was trying to put Old Wine (HTML) into a New Wineskin (XHTML) without understanding the basics. Back to school learning XHTML. Based on what you saw, any suggestions on how to get knowledgeable with XHTML?

I really appreciate you checking it out on other browsers also.

Roger

#4 07-28-2008 16:07:28

Dave

The major difference between HTML and XHTML is the enforcement of closing tags and having tags in lower case.  Even with all of the errors your pages are throwing you will probably find that fixing some of the more obvious ones will go a long way towards cleaning things up.  I had a simple error in something I was working on yesterday that was throwing over a dozen errors but they were all because of a single misplaced tag.

Also, FWIW, work on your layout using a browser that's closer to standards compliant, FireFox is a good choice, then, when you are done, see how it looks in IE.  If your pages validate they will almost always be OK in IE too.

Board footer