Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 02-21-2005 09:59:29

benbarnett
Website

Multiple Sites

Is it possible to run more than one site from the same product database - i.e. what happens if more than one process tries to access the database? wink

#2 02-21-2005 12:07:34

EagleWolf

Re: Multiple Sites

Yes, it is possible. I am setting this up now for a customer. Also remember, that for each store you have that is another CCP license you need. So if you have 3 stores linked to one DB, it will still cost you 3 CCP licenses.

Chris
<a href='mailto:webmaster@equivity.com'>webmaster@equivity.com</a>
-

#3 02-22-2005 12:30:27

benbarnett
Website

Yeah I understand that, no problems there. Thanks for the reply.

#4 02-22-2005 14:45:35

benbarnett
Website

Sorry just had another thought..

When you configure the database settings in CCP51, and set a section to, for example, mySQL rather than CSV, doesn't it overwrite what's in that table with what was in the CSV file?

How would I avoid that? Would it be a case of copying a CSV version from the master site, putting it on the new site and THEN setting them both to use mySQL?

Hope that makes sense..

#5 02-22-2005 15:01:01

EagleWolf

What you want is one master DB, that each site connects to. Then you use mysql for only those tables you want shared across all the sites, like the products, categories etc.. Then you update those tables from the one site, and it will automatically be reflected in all the other sites.

Does that make sense?

Chris
-

#6 02-24-2005 19:00:16

benbarnett
Website

Yeah but my point is, when you set something to use mySQL in the admin section, it'll overwrite everything currently in that table, will it not?

#7 02-25-2005 00:40:38

EagleWolf

If you have multiple carts, using 1 DB, and you only use the DB for thing that each cart shared, like products, categories, etc. And you move the "main" cart from mysql to csv so you can download it, and work on the csv, then convert back to mysql, the other carts will continue to use mysql, when you convert from mysql to csv, it does not wipe out the DB, it only dumps the data into csv files. When you convert back fron csv to mysql, it does not wipe out the csv, but it does overwrite what is in the DB table. And in doing so all the other carts will show the new data.

Does that make sense?

Now, you certainly do not want multiple people trying to manage the DB, from different carts at the same time.

Chris
-

#8 02-27-2005 12:45:53

benbarnett
Website

Yeah I've got ya. So basically to set up the carts for the first time I want to have a CSV dump of the master DB (products/cats), copy them to all the carts and then set them all to use mySQL.

This will cause them to overwrite what was in the DB each time I set CSV -> mySQL, but that doesn't matter as what's being overwritten should be exactly what's already in there.... correct?

#9 02-27-2005 12:55:39

EagleWolf

What I have done (in further testing and set up of my carts) is done a smylink (symbolic link) from the additional carts to the main carts table.csv so that they are all controlled from that one table.csv file. In that file it tells the carts whether to use mysql or csv.

I only have product specific tables enabled though mysql. And then when update and convert the product table back and forth between mysql and csv to work on it, once it is back in mysql all the carts will have the updated information.

So far this is working well for us on our multi-cart site.

Chris
-

#10 02-27-2005 14:05:53

benbarnett
Website

Sounds like a cool idea, I'm not too confident with symlinks though, how do you go about setting those up?

Also, if you edit that file individually on each site, CCP won't go through the process of writing to the DB when you click CSV->MySQL in the admin section - is that right? If that's the case, then that would make things a lot simpler.

To do this though, I guess you'd need to set up the mySQL settings using a similar method - is this possible?

#11 02-27-2005 14:22:55

EagleWolf

You need SSH access to set up smylinks, so if you do not have that, or are unsure you might want to ask your host to set those up.

A smylinks is like a shortcut, you do not have the file on the other sites, it is just a shortcut to the main sites file.

Chris
-

#12 02-28-2005 03:54:24

benbarnett
Website

One last thing...

To run multiple copies, you mentioned you need multiple licences too. Are these stored as a file in the CCP folder somewhere - or can I literally copy an already configured ccp51 folder from one site to another?

#13 02-28-2005 11:47:11

EagleWolf

you need to buy multiple CCP license if you plan to run multiple stores.

Chris
-

#14 02-28-2005 12:18:56

benbarnett
Website

I know that, but when you buy a CCP51, you get given a secure link download the file. Does this need to be downloaded for each store, or can you just pay and then copy the files from the other sites across. Hope that makes sense.

#15 03-23-2005 07:04:23

webmaster
Administrator
Website

The same download file will work for multiple stores - you just need to use different order numbers to register them.   

Nick Hendler

#16 03-23-2005 07:14:07

benbarnett
Website

Thanks dude..

Board footer