Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 09-25-2004 02:03:33

anthroa

5.1 To 6

I am considering purchasing CCP but am wondering firstly what is the upgrade policy if i purchase 5.1 so close to the release of version 6

and also in your opinion would it be better to wait  for 6 and rather than do 2 installs and  modifications for the styling  to suit the site.

also is there a list of the new features to be seen in CCP 6 - i have read various things in these forums and realise it will be a complete rebuild but i haven't found a list of all the new features

thanks for your help Anthony

#2 09-27-2004 11:27:09

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: 5.1 To 6

6.0 is a complete rebuild of the code - but a very complex import (upgrade) from previous versions of CCP will be supported.

Both the upgrade policy and initial release documentation will be posted as they are available (within the next few weeks).

Nick Hendler

#3 09-28-2004 19:21:54

PreZ
Website

I think his question is the same as mine would be.

Since the release of 6 appears to be at least reasonably close, will there be some kind of free upgrade offered to people who buy version 5.1 with 6 so close to release.

Many software products do this (VMware to name one), where if you buy a product, and they release a new version shortly after you purchased it, they will give you a free upgrade (mainly because they don't consider it fair you purchased a product, only to force you to pay for at least part of it again only a few months down the road).

Microsoft also offers this kind of thing (called 'Software Assurance').

I myself am considering buying CCP, however if I'm going to get foisted with a hefty upgrade fee within 3 months of spending almost $200 for CCP5, I might look at other products.  Even though CCP is the best I've seen around (and I'm actually looking at choosing it over an open source product which is quite good, but does not support as many features (such as discount codes, etc)).

BTW - I realise this is probably not the place to ask, but there are only two things that I am wondering about CCP6 (since I'm assuming it will maintain all current functionality of CCP5).

First, does it have 'inventory variant' support (also known as 'multi-option quantity' support) - namely so a) I don't need 6 zillion copies of options 'S', 'M', 'L', 'XL', etc. so that I can track the quantities of each item I have, and b) so that I can combine colours and sizes as different options, but one 'shared' quantity (ie. I have 6 Black XL shirts in stock, 2 Black M shirts, and 3 Red XL shirts).  Incidentally, the afore-mentioned open source product has this, which is one of the reasons I was considering it.

Second, has a 'gift certificate' feature (ie. the ability to BUY a gift certificate on the site, and automatically issue a certificate number and e-mail it to the user, without manual intervention) been added to the core product (I saw that for CCP5, there is someone selling this modification).  Also, is ther a posibility of adding a 'donation' field to the final order confirmation (useful for sites/organizations that live of donations, such as the EFF/OSI/etc).  Another note with the gift certificates - I noticed a discussion (complete with code hack) about being able to select whether tax is applied to the pre- or post- gift certificate amount, is this in CPP6 as an option?

PreZ smile

PreZ smile
Owner -
Founder -

I wanted to change the world, but God wouldn't give me the source code!

#4 09-28-2004 19:52:13

PreZ
Website

Forgot to mention one other question about CCP6.

Will it have some kind of wish list feature (so users can both save items they want to buy, and share those wish lists with others so that others know what that person wants!)?  This would also be a fantastic feature if its not already on the to-do list smile

PreZ smile
Owner -
Founder -

#5 09-29-2004 02:15:05

thekiko

Can't speak for the "Wishlist" system, but I have your "Inventory Variant" working.  Also I am getting the  installed this week.

TheKiko

#6 09-29-2004 10:30:10

PreZ
Website

One thing I do want to know, is how to become a beta tester?

As mentioned before, I'm looking at setting up a brand new shop - this makes me perfectly positioned for beta testing right now, since I will want to test my new shop and play with it for a while before actually opening it to the public anyway.  Beta testing would also save me from a messy upgrade wink

As for who I am, I'm a C++ programmer by trade, I'm also quite competant and Java and Perl, and know enough of PHP to be dangerous at it tongue

I use PostgreSQL, and have developed applications in both perl and C++ that work with postgres - in fact, my web site's entire administration system is in perl, which includes the ability to add/remove users, domains (and users in those (sub)domains), etc.  All from a menu-based perl application, and it handles setting up the web virtual hosts, adding the users, mail accounts, DNS (for domains), adding people to the mailing list if they request such, setting passwords, disk quotas, etc).  I also use the same system (using perl modules) to back my CGI scripts where people apply for accounts, check quotas, reset passwords, etc.  Plus, I've made enough modifications to both my forums (ikonboard, in perl) and web mail (squirrelmail, in php) to know my way around them both - in other words, if I find a bug, I'm more likely to trace it in the code smile

If you don't want another beta tester, thats fine too, though in that case, my original question (re: 'grandfathering' in new purchases) still stands.

PreZ smile
Owner -
Founder -

#7 09-30-2004 01:17:24

PreZ
Website

Just one other feature I just remembered might be cool.

The ability to add comments (possibly ratings too) to product pages - this would allow other users to get feedback on what to expect from products.

Obviously, the ability to hold comments until approved by a moderator, or at the very least, for a moderator to delete comments would be helpful, and possibly some keyword filters (so the comment could be auto-rejected for cursing, or whatever).

Not a necessity, but certainly an idea smile

PreZ smile
Owner -
Founder -

#8 10-01-2004 13:54:59

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Email beta@kryptronic.com with a request.  Your PostgreSQL help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick Hendler

#9 10-02-2004 01:42:58

PreZ
Website

Not sure if my e-mail got through, but I sent the e-mail.

Its a shame you don't have a downloadable evaluation version of CCP.  There are certain things that are disabled in the admin demo, so I can't play around with it completely.  I'm really looking forward to beta testingt CCP6, by the sound of it, its awesome.

I've been playing around with lots of carts, both open source (eg. oscommerce, interchange) and commercial ones that allow an evaluation period (best of these I've seen is x-cart).  Obviously pros and cons for each, though CCP6 sounds like it will have a lot of the stuff CCP5.1 was missing (eg. wish lists, inventory variants, etc).

Best of all, of course, is that CCP supports postgres - which is a huge selling point for me, since I don't like mysql, and don't want to have to install it smile

Thanks,

PreZ smile

PreZ smile
Owner -
Founder -

#10 10-03-2004 14:21:14

rik@rmd

Hi all

I am imminently going to be a CCP purchaser, and would like to know what the situation is with this possibly close upgrade.

I wouldnt want to purchase 5.1 only to find that there are features that would be useful in version 6 that I cannot get unless i pay more to upgrade.

I am a little pushed, as i do need to sort this online cart situation very very soon, and would feel more confident of my purchase if I knew what the situation with this new release is:)

Cheers guys !!  smile 

#11 10-05-2004 21:39:07

ScubaSteve

Hmm i'd be much happier if it was going to be released to the public in time for the holidays....... sad  It'd be nice to have some of the new options, such as gift certificates, available around xmas.

#12 10-06-2004 02:49:12

PreZ
Website

Well, since I've not gotten an email re: beta testing, I'm guessing they don't actually WANT beta testers, or arent that interested in PostgreSQL - I've been waiting for the email re: beta testing, since I'm eager to test out CCP6, however, no email ... oh well.

PreZ smile
Owner -
Founder -

#13 10-06-2004 07:56:39

redmanstudios

Don't sweat it. Nick is very busy and he will get back to you. Besides we don't have a beta in our hands yet.
james

#14 10-06-2004 11:17:20

PreZ
Website

Ah - I was under the impression that you guys were already beta testing based off his last weekly update.  Coolios then.

PreZ smile
Owner -
Founder -

#15 10-07-2004 15:27:38

Will
Website

The top pinned message in here gives the latest dates.... We hope to have beta in our hands by 10/12 at this point...   

Will

#16 10-07-2004 17:21:47

PreZ
Website

Ah - that post must have been edited - It said Oct 1st not long ago, and I assumed if it had changed, it would have been followed up, not modified.

PreZ smile
Owner -
Founder -

#17 10-11-2004 08:03:57

TerryA
Website

webmaster,10/01/2004 01:54:59 PM wrote:

Email beta@kryptronic.com with a request.  Your PostgreSQL help would be greatly appreciated.

PreZ, if you look back toward the middle of this thread, you will see where Nick responded to you about being a beta tester!

#18 10-11-2004 09:10:50

webmaster
Administrator
Website

I'll be updating the beta test list later today.  Prez is on it now.  Concerning a release before the holidays for CCP6, it possible that will happen.  As The Thinker commented a bit ago:

I applaud the above philosophy. CCP 5.1 still has lots of "legs". It's far better to get the next gen of CCP working ideally than to release the alternative. A platform has to be rock solid, robust, and well engineered as I'm sure Zuma will be.

I think that's a good attitude to take.  CCP5.1 does still have legs (an update is planned for later this week to increase functionality a bit).  CCP6 is going to blow e-commerce as we know it wide open on the Internet and competition will be scrambling to get their own ecom programs up to par after everyone sees what's new and coming down the line.

Nick Hendler

Board footer