Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 06-14-2004 14:43:59

edward

Shutting Down The Store Temporarily

I will be travelling for close to 1 month, and need to "shut down" the store during that time.  I don't want it to be off-line, but I just don't want anyone to be able to place an order (and then wait 1 month for it to ship!!!).

I have thought about different ways of possibly doing this, but I am just wondering what would be the cleanest, easiest way to do this?

I only use PayPal for payment, so I thought about shutting off this payment method so there was no way for someone to pay.  Not sure if this is best.  I use declining inventory, but I don't want to have to change all the inventory levels to 0. 

Of course, I will be posting a message at the store that will show up on pretty much each page announcing that we will not be shipping for 1 month, but I just wanted to make sure my CCP5 shopping cart was set so it would be impossible for someone to place an order.

Thanks.

#2 06-14-2004 14:45:01

edward

Re: Shutting Down The Store Temporarily

Just wanted to emphasize that I do want people to be able to "window shop" and view all products, but just not be able to actually order.

#3 06-14-2004 17:05:42

Todd
Website

You would need to upgrade your store to version 5.1 since version 5.0 did not offer a feature to shut the store down.

there's more than one way to...

#4 06-14-2004 17:26:22

edward

Thanks for your reply Todd.

If anyone has any other suggestions, then please let me know.  Upgrading to 5.1 is not an option for me right now.

#5 06-15-2004 12:04:36

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Turn inventory on for all products and set the inventory level to zero.  You can even change your Out of Stock element to present a proper message.  With no inventory, people will not be able to add items to their cart - making the cart and checkout useless temporarily.

Nick Hendler

#6 06-29-2004 16:03:10

edward

webmaster,06/15/2004 12:04:36 PM wrote:

Turn inventory on for all products and set the inventory level to zero.  You can even change your Out of Stock element to present a proper message.  With no inventory, people will not be able to add items to their cart - making the cart and checkout useless temporarily.

Thanks Nick.   Thankfully, my store is setup with all the items having Declining Inventory.  I can just make a print out a hard copy of my inventory levels and use this to reopen my store and set the inventory count back to the correct levels.

Is there a file that I can open and just set inventory level = 0 on each product without having to do it one by one through the CCP5 Admin interface?

Just trying to make sure that I don't create more work for myself than necessary.  If I can go in and change all the inventory count to 0 all at once (and later change it back all in one file) that would be great. 

In fact, now that I think of it, if there is a file like this, then I can save a backup copy of it before going in and changing everything to 0, and then later I can easily restore the file backup.

Hopefully I'm thinking about all this correctly and this is possible!

Edward

#7 07-01-2004 21:09:26

edward

edward,06/29/2004 04:03:10 PM wrote:

Thanks Nick.   Thankfully, my store is setup with all the items having Declining Inventory.  I can just make a print out a hard copy of my inventory levels and use this to reopen my store and set the inventory count back to the correct levels.

Is there a file that I can open and just set inventory level = 0 on each product without having to do it one by one through the CCP5 Admin interface?

Just trying to make sure that I don't create more work for myself than necessary.  If I can go in and change all the inventory count to 0 all at once (and later change it back all in one file) that would be great. 

In fact, now that I think of it, if there is a file like this, then I can save a backup copy of it before going in and changing everything to 0, and then later I can easily restore the file backup.

Hopefully I'm thinking about all this correctly and this is possible!

Edward

Any tips on the best way to go in an set all my inventory levels to 0?

I realize that this may seem like a dumb question to some of you programming experts.  I am definitely not a programmer.  Just a user that has learned a lot along the way - and still have a lot more to learn.  When I bought CCP5, I just entered each and every item (one by one) through the CCP5 Admin.  I know there must be a database or file where it would be easier to go in and globally change all my inventory levels to 0, but since I entered all the products through the Admin interface I'm not sure where I should look for that file/database.  That's why I'm asking.

I will need to shut down my store temporarily in less than 1 week now, so I need to get this figured out soon. 

Thanks for any tips on where to look for a product file where I can more easily change all inventory levels = 0 without having to do it one by one through the Admin interface!

- Edward

#8 07-01-2004 21:17:25

Quizno

If you are using MYSQL you need to convert your product table back to .csv, then download your product.csv file and edit the product_inv field to 0 using Excel.  Save the file and upload it back to your site.

#9 07-02-2004 11:20:28

edward

Thank you very much Quizno.  I didn't know where to begin to look.  I did find the product.csv file and now I can see how I can easily modify it. 

Here's another "dumb" question... I say "dumb" because I do truly understand how some of my questions may come across to a programming/CCP guru.  There are some areas in life where I know that I have some "expert" understanding, knowledge, and experience.  Programming is not one of them!!  I've been involved in forums (in areas of my expertise) where people has questions that seem "how can they not know that????".  Then I have to step back and think well I guess I wouldn't have known that either when I was first learning about something new.  With that being said, I just want to say I appreciate the responses from people here even when the questions may seem so lame to those that are experts in this arena. 

I have heard about MySQL.  I think it's some sort of database.  I know that my web hosting company offers/supports it.  I've read that there are advantages to it....

1) How do I switch to MySQL?

2) Why would  I want to do this (what are the real advantages of MySQL)?

Since I found the product.csv file up to date, then I'm assuming that I'm not using MySQL.  Again, when I first bought CCP5, I just manually entered each and every product throught the CCP5 Admin interface.  So, however CCP5 defaults with the product info when entered this way is how my store has been set up all along.

Thanks again,

Edward

#10 07-02-2004 11:47:32

webmaster
Administrator
Website

You're not using MySQL, so just update that file offline using a program like Excel, then upload it back to the server in BINARY mode (very important).

As far as your questions:

1) How do I switch to MySQL?

Ask your host to set up a MySQL database for you and once they provide you with the database name, username and password, login to the CCP administrator.  Access the Database Utilities section and choose the Configure RDBMS Connection function.  Choose to use MySQL and enter in your database name, username and password.  Once CCP verifies a connection can be made with that info, access the Manage Table Data Sources function and switch tables over one by one into MySQL mode.

2) Why would I want to do this (what are the real advantages of MySQL)?

It's much much faster if you have a lot of items and/or orders.

Nick Hendler

#11 07-02-2004 16:29:52

edward

Thanks Nick.   I appreciate the info!

- Edward

#12 07-02-2004 16:32:38

edward

webmaster,07/02/2004 11:47:32 AM wrote:

It's much much faster if you have a lot of items and/or orders.

Nick,

Will it make much difference for speed with a CCP5 cart that has maybe 100-150 products and gets maybe 10 orders a day?  Will the customer notice much difference in speed and performance with MySQL?

Thanks,

Edward

#13 07-16-2004 14:35:24

webmaster
Administrator
Website

No, I don't think you'd see much speed difference at all (if any) for that type of volume & amount of data.

Nick Hendler

Board footer