Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 03-15-2004 13:15:03

puresignal

Negative Quantities

I am evaluating this product and was strongly considering buying it, but then I noticed it allows negative quantities to be entered, leading to an apparent net credit for the order.  There are no errors generated or anything; it sends an email saying the order was completed, etc.  While I realize orders with negative quantities can't be properly fulfilled, it seems like all negative quantities should automatically be converted to zero.  A credit could still be applied via a negative price.  If this were integrating with some sort of automated system, for example, one could seemingly get several items at regular price, combine them with an expensive negative-quantity item and end up getting the first items for free.  Am I overlooking some obvious configuration setting or something here?

thanks,
-dave

#2 03-15-2004 14:32:28

scoutch
Banned

Re: Negative Quantities

No, actually, you're not overlooking . . . at least not anymore.

ATS can manage special requests for users and all you'd need to do is to send him a quote so he could re-program the quantity values for you quick and fair. smile

Does this answer your question ?

THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED FROM THIS FORUM.

If this post contains any language related to
code samples, advice, etc., please read this
entire thread before making a decision to use
this post as a basis for any change to your
software installation.

#3 03-15-2004 17:42:50

puresignal

I'm afraid so.

I can do the programming; I've already built a couple of Perl-based e-commerce systems.  The whole point of buying was to avoid that work (I neither own nor would reuse the systems I worked on).  I wanted to be able to concentrate on special customizations, but preventing negative quantities seems like an extremely fundamental feature.  Its absence makes me wonder what other modifications would be necessary.

I guess I'll have to keep looking.

thanks for the reply though.

#4 03-19-2004 11:39:57

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Interesting.  To address this in the code is simple.  In the file ./cgi-bin/library/modules/ste_cart.pl in the routine 'ste_cart_update_proc' look for:

Code:

if ($formdata eq "0" || $formdata eq "") {

And change to:

Code:

if ($formdata <= "0" || $formdata eq "") {

I'll be sure this is addressed in the next release.

Nick Hendler

#5 04-01-2004 18:23:35

m j
Website

This sounds like a pretty HUGE security hole here. Would it actualy issue a credit to a credit card if you were processing transactions online?

Is there any place where security holes like this and the relevent patches are announced and released so that I am made aware that I need to patch my site? If not there should be!

On something as basicly as a quantity field you should be verifying the input from the form field on the server by making sure the value entered was a numeric value. Client side verification isn't secure as it can be spoofed.

$data =~ /^\d+$/

That way it has be be number, and it wouldn't accept negative numbers either, as would be in appropriate for a quantity field.

Perl, MySQL, XHTML, CSS, Web Usability, XML
Matt Johnson

#6 04-01-2004 18:31:56

m j
Website

It probably wouldn't hurt to have the code for the store go through another security audit to check for any other kinds of holes.

Perl, MySQL, XHTML, CSS, Web Usability, XML
Matt Johnson

Board footer